Freddy Garcia is coming up

BaltimoreO's

I just dont like the idea of giving Britton 1 start to make it or break it after flying cross country= too much pressure. I thought he threw the ball well, but Seattle can hit and Britton might of been rusty. It's just jerking his chain, at least give him 2 starts, IMO to take some pressure off.

I agree with this line of thinking. However, I think Freddy's performance in Norfolk combined with Buck's strong "if you stink, you're out" policy, this move makes a lot of sense.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
they work less in Altitude because the higher the altitude the dryer the air. You can ask Hammells, Saunders and Guthrie. In dry air you need sinkerballers and fastball pitchers for the most part.

No. It's all the atmospheric density. Very little or anything to do with the humidity. In fact, humid air is less dense than dry air. The density of the air impacts the Magnus force, which determines the amount of force that effects a rotating sphere.

Hammel, Saunders, and Guthrie probably have little or no knowledge of physics and aerodynamics beyond casual observation.

Ouch! Thanks. Looks like this might not be a good matchup for Freddy. SSS not withstanding.

Micro-samples of data. More misleading than anything else. You'd be better off assuming a generic 4.75 ERA pitcher is facing someone with each of those batters' career numbers.

I never thought I would see and 800 year Garcia start for the Orioles. I was going to go Saturday, I think I will go Sunday instead. The weather is unusually dry right now, hardly ANY humidity right now, this hurts junk ballers. Not expecting much.
This reaction from you is shocking, and out of character.

You made my Friday ;)

No. It's all the atmospheric density. Very little or anything to do with the humidity. In fact, humid air is less dense than dry air. The density of the air impacts the Magnus force, which determines the amount of force that effects a rotating sphere.

Hammel, Saunders, and Guthrie probably have little or no knowledge of physics and aerodynamics beyond casual observation.

Dont know about the physics, just the results.. Junk ballers and slop tossing ballers have a harder time gripping the ball to get the spin. I lived in Colorado for a long time, and have thrown many a baseball, softball and football and thier is a huge difference on the spin you can place on the ball.

I agree with this line of thinking. However, I think Freddy's performance in Norfolk combined with Buck's strong "if you stink, you're out" policy, this move makes a lot of sense.

Really? Mess with a young pitchers mind vs and underated lineup tough on lefties? Make him fly cross country for 1 start. I would have started vs the Angels in LA and let him know when he got to Seattle he has two starts. That is way to much pressure for the kid, one and done. His stuff was actually pretty good. You give Arrietta how many starts before sending him down?

I didn't agree with Stinson or Britton coming up for spot starts. I agree that Britton deserves more than one start but he really didn't deserve the one start to begin with. I think this is a case of Duquette trying not to lose anyone off the 40 man roster and having the extra arm in the bullpen the last two weeks. I think they should have just gone with Garcia for Stinson's start and made the corresponding 40 man move at that time. Too late now. I just think the timing wasn't right for the best candidates, Britton, Johnson, Wada, and Gausman, all of whom could/should have more of a future with the club than Freddy Garcia. With that being said, Garcia had a pretty good year as recently as 2011. He looked very good at Norfolk. Whether that translates at the ML level or not, we are about to find out. I have no problem with giving Garcia a try for now.

Agree with all of this. Felt like DD was trying to be a bit too cute with the 40-man. We may not have quite the drek at the bottom end as we did in previous years, but there are still a few guys on there we could drop and not miss. Stinson and Britton should have not been given starts on this team.

From Wikipedia.

In its first decade, the above-average number of home runs earned Coors Field a reputation as the most hitter-friendly park in Major League Baseball, earning the critical nicknames "Coors Canaveral"[10] (a reference to Cape Canaveral, from where NASA launches spacecraft) and "Williamsport" (referring to the site of the Little League World Series). Prior to the 2002 baseball season, studies determined that it was more the dry air rather than thin air which contributed to the more frequent home runs. It was found that baseballs stored in drier air are harder and therefore more elastic to the impact of the bat. A room-sized humidor was installed in which to store the baseballs, and since its introduction the number of home runs at Coors Field has decreased and is now nearly the same as other parks.[11]

Regardless of ball humidity, elevation is still a factor to the game. The ball does slip easier through the thin air allowing for longer hits. In addition, the curveball tends to curve less with the thin air than at sea level leading to fewer strikeouts and fewer effective pitches for pitchers to work with.[12]

Seems air density is the answer.

I have talked to people who are a lot smarter than me about baseball , more than one to be exact. They all said it wasnt fair to Britton to not let him pitch for 10 days, have him fly across the country and get one shot, even if it wasnt good..and it wasn't. This is NOT a sound policy for this

organization.Im talking more about the pitchers TRULY in the orioles plans, not a stopgap like Garcia or Stinson.

In past years I would agree with you, but we're trying to win the division. Garcia has pitched better than Britton in AAA, so he deserves the call up. The fact that Britton was given the first shot shows that Duquette and Buck like him, but we can't afford to let him to figure out how to get major leaguers out if Garcia helps us win now.

The pitch to Trumbo aside, a very solid first start for Garcia. He threw a lot of strikes, and was inducing a lot of ground ball outs to start the game, always a good sign to get things started. His velocity isn't what it once was, so he's not going to fool a whole lot of guys, but he was efficient and effective, something the #5 starters haven't been so far this year. I'm tempering my optimism significantly, because Garcia is 36 years old, and the Angels are not hitting well right now. But, the bar for your typical fifth starter isn't very high, so if more often than not he can go 5 or 6 innings and give up 4 or 5 runs, we should be okay with that.

Archived