Youth does not hide failure

calmunderfire

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because we've seen the movie what 10-15 times the last few years where a new pitcher comes up and meets tremendous adversity. Then that is followed is fans become blinded by a starters youth and won't even admit to his complete failure. Or start demanding he rejoin the rotation when he's not a good player right now. It needs to stop.

WHAT needs to stop? You aren't explaining yourself very well, and I really did just read this post three times and I still don't get what you are getting at.

OK, so Gausman or Arrieta or whoever came up and failed. So? Gausman (for example) is young and inexperienced. Despite your protests to the contrary, that means that a) failure is more likely, despite his potential, and b) he is more likely to reach his potential if given additional chances to do so. To think otherwise is foolish. Yes, young players fail a lot. It's how they learn to be good players. Some of them don't learn, some of them will. The only way to find out which is which is to send them back out there again to try. Until you do, it makes absolutely no difference how a bunch of posters on an internet message board label it. So what exactly are you so worked about?

Sandy Koufax? Total failure, until he turned into a good player. I don't know why I insisted that he was a great player when he was terrible. Stupid me.

Could it actually be that some of his early failures TAUGHT HIM WHAT HE NEEDED TO DO IN ORDER TO IMPROVE!?!?!?!?

Mind completely blown.

Is this one of those JTrea type "demand action" threads. Does he want us to picket OPACY since our players are all failures? Stop being failures, you losers. Wait, what's our record?

Maybe he was trying to mimic this guy

Brad-Pitt-in-Moneyball.-007.jpg

But got all switched around and mimic'd this guy

true+romance+03.jpg

It's called development, Calm. The percentage of all players with immediate success in the big leagues has to be miniscule. A player gets drafted and generally starts out in the lower minors because that is a level of play higher than he's played before. Most struggle & never make it very far at all. Some dominate early with success & move up the ladder. Some struggle for a while but learn & make adjustments through teaching & experience and move up a level. Many times, there are 3+ levels to go before the big leagues. They are constantly facing pitchers who have more command, more pitches, ability to better change speeds, etc. than they've ever seen before. Pitchers face batters who have better vision, know when to lay off bad pitches or which pitch to go after at each level. It's a game of adjustments. That's why Cal had 2,632 different stances during his career. Almost all rookie players have failure at first and a good majority won't gain a great amount of success.

My head hurts from these dumb posts.

It's called development, Calm. The percentage of all players with immediate success in the big leagues has to be miniscule. A player gets drafted and generally starts out in the lower minors because that is a level of play higher than he's played before. Most struggle & never make it very far at all. Some dominate early with success & move up the ladder. Some struggle for a while but learn & make adjustments through teaching & experience and move up a level. Many times, there are 3+ levels to go before the big leagues. They are constantly facing pitchers who have more command, more pitches, ability to better change speeds, etc. than they've ever seen before. Pitchers face batters who have better vision, know when to lay off bad pitches or which pitch to go after at each level. It's a game of adjustments. That's why Cal had 2,632 different stances during his career. Almost all rookie players have failure at first and a good majority won't gain a great amount of success.

My head hurts from these dumb posts.

They are not dumb. They just don't contain correct facts.

And if you don't believe this, you are just lying to yourself.

Is this one of those JTrea type "demand action" threads. Does he want us to picket OPACY since our players are all failures? Stop being failures, you losers. Wait, what's our record?

Before the trea there was Nestor. And neither one of them has any influence on Baltimore area sports.

Good point Weams....my point is just that I thought the Os had other options. Considering his track record Jurrjens should've gotten a handful of starts in my opinion.

He still might. The book is not written yet with Jurjenns in my opinion, especially not with our current rotation options. I think Britton will get a look as long as he doesn't implode tonight. He'll get first shot to be the 5th starter in the rotation, even when Chen returns. If Britton fails, I think Jurjenns might be next up barring a trade.

He still might. The book is not written yet with Jurjenns in my opinion, especially not with our current rotation options. I think Britton will get a look as long as he doesn't implode tonight. He'll get first shot to be the 5th starter in the rotation, even when Chen returns. If Britton fails, I think Jurjenns might be next up barring a trade.
Jair Jurrjens is certainly a wild card. At some points I think he is done. And then he flirts with a perfect game. A good point you make here T.

Archived