McClouth vs. Guy in the 1st Row: A Fan ruins an out.

srock

I don't give a crap about catching foul balls Jack. I am an avid O's fan, I don't get to go to many games because I live out of town. So I am not involved in catching foul balls. I am always into the game situation. So don't tell me what you think I might do in that situation.

Well for the record my name is not Jack. We can drink a beer to the O's. I meant

no harm to you or anyone else.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with Tony. When you sit in the first row, you have to know there is a possibility of a pop fly and you should be aware of which team is batting. And if it is your team in the field, you should know which fielders are tracking to the ball.

If you have your wits about you, you should help the team you are cheering for. It's not that hard.

It's not really holier than thou anymore. This is a contending team. Part of the covenant as a fan of a team that can go to the playoffs is to assist the team as a tenth man. Get loud when you are supposed to. Heckle if given the opportunity. Block out if the competition is trying to come in to the stand to make a play ( this means you Jeter). And to allow our players to attempt to make superhuman efforts (as one of the 700 best at what they do on the planet) WITHOUT obstruction from their own fans. Do everything that can be done to disrupt the concentration of the opponents.

I was under the impression the ball was out of play.

Well for the record my name is not Jack. We can drink a beer to the O's. I meant

no harm to you or anyone else.

I know your name is not Jack, but if I used the name I wanted to, I would be in violation of the rules. I resent people telling me what I think or will do. You may be such an avid collector off baseball memorabilia that you would forget yourself in that situation, but guess what, not everyone is like you. Talk about holier than thou. Speak for yourself and don't presume to speak for me.

I know your name is not Jack, but if I used the name I wanted to, I would be in violation of the rules. I resent people telling me what I think or will do. You may be such an avid collector off baseball memorabilia that you would forget yourself in that situation, but guess what, not everyone is like you. Talk about holier than thou. Speak for yourself and don't presume to speak for me.

Okay. Maybe you missed that I am sorry and I meant no harm to you. I was just

we are human and make mistakes. I guess I am one of those fans that don't pay

constant attention. If you are then more power to you my friend. Well drink a beer

it will help you forget about me and my irritating way to you.

Okay. Maybe you missed that I am sorry and I meant no harm to you. I was just

we are human and make mistakes. I guess I am one of those fans that don't pay

constant attention. If you are then more power to you my friend. Well drink a beer

it will help you forget about me and my irritating way to you.

This is the salient point. Fans are going to make the mistake. But just because its an easy mistake to make does not excuse it.

It's like a sinking liner to the outfield. If the outfielder had to make a diving catch but misplays it, that's not an error. But it's not a good play either.

This is the fans chance to make the diving catch.

While we're speaking of foul balls, I want to know how that 70+ year old man took that laser of a foul ball to the ribs and then turn to the usher and mouth "I'm fine". Holy crap that guy is tough!

He didn't want to miss the sweep :).

Looks like the dude has a cane and prostethic left leg. I'm completely off topic.
I saw that also. Regardless of whether he has a cane or not that becomes part of the subconscious perception that we form. If we had lost the game. This fan would have become the perfect scapegoat ala Steve Bartman.

I actually think the TV networks need to stop showing a guy like that after a play like that--ESPN showed the guy a good long time even a few minutes after it had happened. Our society doesn't need any more Bartman incidents, where a whole town turns against one poor dude. Still, a smart fan gets out of the way when a play is possible, especially at home.

Finally, it never ceases to amaze me how little attention some people pay to the game. On TV, I see people looking down at cellphones all the time as play is going on--and it bugs me. I don't live within a a thousand miles of Camden Yards, so I don't know if or when I'll ever see the O's play in person. Yet on TV I see a bunch of people sometimes acting as if there's any place they'd rather be than the best ballpark in the world. Watching my favorite team. With tremendous young talent on the field. In a possibly historic season. Yet they can't be bothered to pay attention to the game.

I don't think some people know how lucky they are to be able to see the O's in person whenever they want. OK, rant over.

I just went back and watched that play 50-75 times. Looked like the ball was heading into Nates glove, in play. Dude took a solid elbow to the gut.

One other thing I noticed... As I said we sat in maybe those exact seats earlier this season. As soon as I put my beer on the rail someone yelled at me to get it down from there. Someone wasn't doing their job with a beer, cell phone, and a full bag of peanuts on the rail. Nate was inches from coming down on top of an 8 dollar miller lite

Archived