MLB Trade Rumors latest 2014 Free Agent List.

Redskins Rick

If we re-sign McClouth to a fair deal, then I would try to go after a SP. If we don't resign McClouth I would go after either Pence or Beltran. If you DH Beltran you can put Urrutia in LF and hope he can be a decent fielder.

Markakis

Machado

Beltran/Pence

Jones

Davis

Wieters

Hardy

Urrutia

Schoop/Flaherty

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we re-sign McClouth to a fair deal' date=' then I would try to go after a SP. If we don't resign McClouth I would go after either Pence or Beltran. If you DH Beltran you can put Urrutia in LF and hope he can be a decent fielder.

Markakis

Machado

Beltran/Pence

Jones

Davis

Wieters

Hardy

Urrutia

Schoop/Flaherty[/quote']

I think Beltran is still a stud and wouldn't accept playing DH as long as he can still play the OF. I have no idea what the defensive stats say, but I've seen enough of him to think he's still a good fielder.

If we re-sign McClouth to a fair deal' date=' then I would try to go after a SP. If we don't resign McClouth I would go after either Pence or Beltran. If you DH Beltran you can put Urrutia in LF and hope he can be a decent fielder.

[/quote']

Which SP would you go after, how much would you offer, and how would you justify that salary vs. what we could get out of Gausman or our other 5th starter candidates? I would be shocked if we go after a SP (although I would not be surprised to see us try to trade for one at the deadline if we are in contention).

I think Beltran is still a stud and wouldn't accept playing DH as long as he can still play the OF. I have no idea what the defensive stats say, but I've seen enough of him to think he's still a good fielder.

The appealing aspect about Beltran is that he does need days off for maintenance. You could use those days as DH days and let HU ease his way in defensively.

Day-dreaming of course. I don't see the orioles in on Beltran, pence, Choo, or any starting pitching.

Which SP would you go after, how much would you offer, and how would you justify that salary vs. what we could get out of Gausman or our other 5th starter candidates? I would be shocked if we go after a SP (although I would not be surprised to see us try to trade for one at the deadline if we are in contention).

We very well may go with Gausman, but he didn't seem ready this year. If he isn't ready for next year either, I wouldn't mind having a guy like Ervin Santana on the staff. Santana might end up being too expensive, but if we could get him for similar money that Beltran would get; I would make the trade off.

Also this is me playing along with the whole we go after a big FA this year. In reality, I don't think we sign a big time player at all.

from what I have heard on 105.7, there are many in the Oriole Organization that honesty still believe Gausman is the real deal, with real potential to be a #2 starter, if not a TOR and will most likely be one of the starting five next year.

Dreaming here... I know not going to happen.

Sign Cano and Kendrys Morales.

Markakis RF

Manny 3B

Cano 2B

Jones CF

Davis 1B

Morales DH

Weiters C

Hardy SS

Urrieta LF

... nasty lineup though. Really would like Morales as DH.

from what I have heard on 105.7, there are many in the Oriole Organization that honesty still believe Gausman is the real deal, with real potential to be a #2 starter, if not a TOR and will most likely be one of the starting five next year.

My concern is that we may have rushed Gausman up, he struggled up here, while showing flashes. Now he is getting rocked in AAA as well. He maybe eventually be that guy, but IMO he has a long way to go before he can make this team as a solid starter.

My concern is that we may have rushed Gausman up' date=' he struggled up here, while showing flashes. Now he is getting rocked in AAA as well. He maybe eventually be that guy, but IMO he has a long way to go before he can make this team as a solid starter.[/quote']

Nobody gave Tillman, much of a chance, until he had his light bulb moment and flipped the switch to the on position.

Nobody gave Tillman, much of a chance, until he had his light bulb moment and flipped the switch to the on position.

You can't really make comparisons like that, though. One guy having a light bulb moments after years of disappointments is the exception, not the rule.

Gausman's young yet, and has plenty of time - but I'd agree with the baltimoreO's22 that he had no business being in the majors this year.

You can't really make comparisons like that, though. One guy having a light bulb moments after years of disappointments is the exception, not the rule.

Gausman's young yet, and has plenty of time - but I'd agree with the baltimoreO's22 that he had no business being in the majors this year.

For pitchers you can, they all have talent and some catch on sooner or later, but the ones that do catch on, they make an adjustment or two, pick up another pitcher, and presto, they are there.

For pitchers you can, they all have talent and some catch on sooner or later, but the ones that do catch on, they make an adjustment or two, pick up another pitcher, and presto, they are there.

You seem to have left out the many, many, many pitchers that completely flamed out and were never heard from again. You're making it sound like a guy turning it around is an inevitability, rather than a rare gift.

You took the 1 guy that we had pan out and used him as an example' date=' what about Britton, Arrieta, Matusz and the others that flamed out?[/quote']

Actually, I still have hope for Britton, if he can avoid the mental meltdowns, the kid has talent.

Arrieta is doing better with the Cubs.

Matusz found his role in the bullpen. Being a 2 pitch, pitcher, makes it harder to be a starter.

So really, none of them are flamed out, yet.

Actually, I still have hope for Britton, if he can avoid the mental meltdowns, the kid has talent.

Arrieta is doing better with the Cubs.

Matusz found his role in the bullpen. Being a 2 pitch, pitcher, makes it harder to be a starter.

So really, none of them are flamed out, yet.

We'll leave Britton out, since his fate remains undetermined - though things are starting to look pretty dire for him.

Arrieta is 27 and has accomplished absolutely nothing. He's bordering on unmitigated disaster. One decent start with the Cubs isn't "doing better." If he had a light bulb moment at 32 or 33 and rattles off one good season, it doesn't mean he "made it."

Matusz went from being a Top 5 pick to being a pretty average relief pitcher. There's no shame in being a relief pitcher, but the guy never came anywhere near his potential. He didn't "make it" either.

Tillman, at least for now, looks like he's got a legitimate chance of being a very dependable starting pitcher... and he could well live up to his own potential. This is rare. He's nothing like Arrieta or Matusz (and probably Britton).

Archived