Orioles RISP Tracking Thread

JTrea81

But that was my point. We SHOULD be getting hits and tonight was one of the first nights in recent memory where the Orioles have been a lot more patient at the plate.

When else is a better time to get a hit? With runners in scoring position.

That's all I've been saying.

MSK

They do get hits with RISP. They are one of the best teams in baseball in those situations. They obviously aren't going to come thru every night so its ridiculous to complain about it then.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They do get hits with RISP. They are one of the best teams in baseball in those situations. They obviously aren't going to come thru every night so its ridiculous to complain about it then.

Many have been stating that clutch hitting is not a repeatable skill, per say. I guess that means we can't exactly expect it to rebound going forward?

But you're right, up until the painful past few weeks, we have been nothing but solid with RISP.

Games like tonight are why I started this thread. If you get 11 chances with RISP against David Price, you'd better cash in on them. That's a gift.

Has it not been made clear to you yet that this happens with every team? Are you totally oblivious to the season as a whole in these situations?

Nah, what we need now, after a night like this is for your "See I told you, so" nonsense. :cool:

Has it not been made clear to you yet that this happens with every team? Are you totally oblivious to the season as a whole in these situations?

Nah, what we need now, after a night like this is for your "See I told you, so" nonsense. :cool:

Man ain't that the truth. When we have a

good night he posts the numbers and says nothing.

Even Buck said that he would have believed the Orioles were well below the norm with a man on 3rd and less than 2 outs... The reasoning for him thinking this, and so many others, is most likely due to the fact that they pile up successful opportunities in this category when they aren't really crucial in the game and continuously fail in clutch situations in close games when it matters (the ABs that you will remember as being key).

Even Buck said that he would have believed the Orioles were well below the norm with a man on 3rd and less than 2 outs... The reasoning for him thinking this, and so many others, is most likely due to the fact that they pile up successful opportunities in this category when they aren't really crucial in the game and continuously fail in clutch situations in close games when it matters (the ABs that you will remember as being key).

Orioles in high leverage situations, via FanGraphs:

1st in AVG .311, Indians 2nd at .293

1st in OPS .831, Indians 2nd at .822

2nd in wRC+ 119, Indians 1st at 126

Orioles with men in scoring position, via FanGraphs:

3rd in AVG .279, Cardinals 1st at .329

3rd in OPS .792, Cardinals 1st at .864

5th in wRC+ 108, Cardinals 1st at 138

Orioles in high leverage situations, via FanGraphs:

1st in AVG .311, Indians 2nd at .293

1st in OPS .831, Indians 2nd at .822

2nd in wRC+ 119, Indians 1st at 126

Orioles with men in scoring position, via FanGraphs:

3rd in AVG .279, Cardinals 1st at .329

3rd in OPS .792, Cardinals 1st at .864

5th in wRC+ 108, Cardinals 1st at 138

Sure does not seem like it... Because it seems like every time we lose a close game, or even even we win close games, we just are non existent with RISP.

Sure does not seem like it... Because it seems like every time we lose a close game, or even even we win close games, we just are non existent with RISP.

The problem is they are inconsistent. They'll go 6-11 with RISP and then have a bunch of games like 1-6 or 0-5.

It's those games where they execute well that skew the statistic, and this team was great at executing in the first half of the season on a consistent basis. Not so much any longer...

Many have been stating that clutch hitting is not a repeatable skill, per say. I guess that means we can't exactly expect it to rebound going forward?

But you're right, up until the painful past few weeks, we have been nothing but solid with RISP.

Not really. This team was solid up until after the Texas series post-AS Break. The latter half of July they had their worst slump with RISP yet. And they've only had two times since the break where they've posted solid RISP numbers three games in a row.

When you have consistent failure to execute, that is no longer coincidence IMO. This is is exactly what happened to this team in the ALDS and the talent is exactly the same with the same exact instruction.

What worked for the first half of the season clearly is not working consistently enough in the second half. The offensive ability to produce runs is there, however the execution is not.

In that case there are at least 25 teams that are probably nonexistanter than we are.

The problem is they are inconsistent. They'll go 6-11 with RISP and then have a bunch of games like 1-6 or 0-5.

It's those games where they execute well that skew the statistic, and this team was great at executing in the first half of the season on a consistent basis. Not so much any longer...

Do you actually have proof that the Orioles have an unusual RISP hitting distribution.

You are not actually proving that by posting the hits-for-AB. You are telling me the average. I already told you the RISP average of this team; it's excellent.

So do you actually have something that tells me the Orioles have an unusual distribution of RISP average on a game-by-game basis. This will require you to look at every other team.

In that case there are at least 25 teams that are probably nonexistanter than we are.

Do you actually have proof that the Orioles have an unusual RISP hitting distribution.

You are not actually proving that by posting the hits-for-AB. You are telling me the average. I already told you the RISP average of this team; it's excellent.

So do you actually have something that tells me the Orioles have an unusual distribution of RISP average on a game-by-game basis. This will require you to look at every other team.

They are 7-54 with RISP in their losses since the Sunday Seattle game, all by 1 run.

Archived