Orioles RISP Tracking Thread

JTrea81

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you are saying that no matter what your plate approach, RISP is all about luck and coincidence? I'm not buying that. I think there's some bit of luck in baseball regardless, but the players plate approach can determine how that AB with RISP goes IMO.

No he's saying that if you're a 300 hitter, then over time you'll most likely be a 300 hitter with RISP. There's no such thing as being a clutch hitter.

Am I correct in saying that 3 of the 5 hits would never have happened if not for errors?

Therefore proving that sheer luck is a major difference between a good day and a bad day with RISP.

3 situations would not have occurred if it was not for errors, so the actual tally would be 2-11. However the Orioles still needed to execute in those 3 situations and they did.

The luck was having the 3 opportunities with RISP. Luck didn't change the need for execution.

Ohhh... fun. An easy way to see how long it takes for the Orioles' batting numbers in randomly selected situations to naturally converge with their overall numbers. I suggest we also track their performance in the 4th inning. And another wacky thread on how they do when there are runners only on 2nd. And maybe on on how their outfielders do on Thursdays.
Too many off days on Thursdays, we should go with Saturdays for a more comprehensive sample size.
Sample size only matters if you're trying to form conclusions from the data and encourage the team to take actions based on those conclusions.

We're just goofing around, kind of having a fun thread on statistics 101, right? Nobody really thinks a month or two of RISP data means anything at all do they? This is 2013, right? When the OP said "to see if this is a problem or not" I kind of equated that to walking down the street and if the next crosswalk sign said "don't walk" then that's a problem.

This guy pretty much has spot on accuracy with his posts.

Drungo does not make stuff up. He's a solid poster who deals in fact.

No he's saying that if you're a 300 hitter, then over time you'll most likely be a 300 hitter with RISP. There's no such thing as being a clutch hitter.
So-called "Captain Clutch," Derek Jeter

career (11,916 PAs) .313/.381/.447/.829

career w/RISP (2,938 PAs) .302/.395/.422/.817

The Orioles, before today, had a .792 OPS in RISP situations, 2nd in the AL. Their BA was .279, also 2nd in the league. So what is the point of this thread exactly?

By the way, the O's had a .787 OPDS with RISP at the end of July. That means their OPS during August in RISP situations has been approximately .831. So what is the point of this thread exactly?

The team is 3rd in the league in runs scored per game for the season, and 2nd in the league in August. So what is the point of this thread exactly?

Look, all teams are going to have games where they hit poorly in RISP situations. Even a bad week. Even a bad month. None of that changes the fact that the Orioles have hit very well this season, especially in RISP situations.

So what is the point of this thread exactly?

In the old days, I'd say it was Trea positing a easily-disproven idea so that most of the board would tell him he's off his rocker and he can spend days defending his position and the idea that all ideas are equally valid and that it's cool to be an internet messageboard martyr, going down in flames whilst defending the indefensible.

But he's come back after turning a new page, so I don't know what it's all about.

The Orioles, before today, had a .792 OPS in RISP situations, 2nd in the AL. Their BA was .279, also 2nd in the league. So what is the point of this thread exactly?

By the way, the O's had a .787 OPDS with RISP at the end of July. That means their OPS during August in RISP situations has been approximately .831. So what is the point of this thread exactly?

The team is 3rd in the league in runs scored per game for the season, and 2nd in the league in August. So what is the point of this thread exactly?

Look, all teams are going to have games where they hit poorly in RISP situations. Even a bad week. Even a bad month. None of that changes the fact that the Orioles have hit very well this season, especially in RISP situations.

That because they've done so well in that department all season long that it is unacceptable and not possible that they should ever struggle in such a situation, and I do mean ever, and any failure to do so is a direct result of the hitting coach teaching poor hitting approaches.

Wow I thought I was putting up a valiant effort in these threads but then Frobby goes and brings the boom stick! Thread. Over.

Archived