Criticism of Duquette

WarehouseChatter

As a GM, why in the world would you continue to show your hand by saying "we won't be participating in the Tanaka sweepstakes" or saying that we won't go after pitchers seeking 4 or 5 year deals? Whether this is the mandate from PGA or not, DD still needs to play the game and at least seem interested. We at a minimum must remain relevant in players and agents eyes. DD is a smart man - not sure why he continues to speak so openly about what he is NOT going to do.

check out my new Orioles website at Warehouse Chatter

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because it is the truth. He also has an obligation not to raise fan's expectations unreasonably. Theo is not telling Cub's fans they are ready to contend. PA is not signing SP to more than 3 years and he is not playing the posting game, and everyone in baseball knows that.

But why admit it? We're giving up leverage by showing our hand. This is business 101!

What leverage are we giving up? We aren't in on Tanaka - no one really expects it. outside of Tanaka which pitchers out there would you REALLY want to give a 4-5 year deal to? Seriously. Look at the list.

DD is telling the market that this is who we are looking for, possibly because, by his reckoning, that is what he feels the level of arms on the market are worth. Especially when DD knows he will need to, in theory, have money to extend Machado, Davis, and/or Wieters in the coming years.

The Orioles aren't going to have a regular salary much over 100 million. This is a known thing.

I have to disagree. By not showing interest in Tanaka, we're not going to be top of mind to other international players. Also, if we say we're out on someone looking for a 4 year deal, they may not be interested in us if their demand goes down to 3 years. It doesn't help us by being so vocal and could hurt us.

I have to disagree. By not showing interest in Tanaka, we're not going to be top of mind to other international players. Also, if we say we're out on someone looking for a 4 year deal, they may not be interested in us if their demand goes down to 3 years. It doesn't help us by being so vocal and could hurt us.

The Orioles have signed three Japanese players in the last two regimes. We have signed players from Australia, Korea (ahem) as well. And no one, no one is going to say "The Orioles wouldn't give me four years so I won't go to them now that my demands have dropped." That is just silly.

The reason their demand drops is because NO TEAM is giving that player four years! So the Orioles were right to not give him four years because they would have been overpaying the market.

If DD wasn't so straight forward about their non-plan going forward with Tanaka then the OH and pretty much every single Orioles blog would be filled with "Will the O's sign Tanaka?" "Tanaka would make a statement" "Blah blah blah"

All the sudden I feel the urge to send Duquette a handwritten thank you note for putting out the fire before it got too late.

But why admit it? We're giving up leverage by showing our hand. This is business 101!

To let other players in the business know our base intentions. "It's a waste of time to talk to us about these things." Don't waste both our time. BUS 101. ;)

What the O's need out of this market, which does not have a true #1 SP in it, is a pitcher who can give you 200 IP and not require more than one or two years. Why should they pay for 4 or 5 when they only need one or two.

bababa

What the O's need out of this market, which does not have a true #1 SP in it, is a pitcher who can give you 200 IP and not require more than one or two years. Why should they pay for 4 or 5 when they only need one or two.

You're right. That's the thing, there isn't a number one. This offseason is like last call and the lights just turned on in the bar...just because they are there doesn't mean they are good looking.

Archived