Buck is The Man: Makes Josh Hart write paper on Frank Robinson

Hank Scorpio

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't recall this. I remember reading about Girardi and Wedge. And that LaCava turned down the GM job.
I think Valentine publicly expressed no interest in the job. Not sure if the O's ever talked to him.
We offered an interview. Which he turned down.

Thanks for the clarification Weams, but really, that managerial hiring process was a mess, yet things could have gone so much worse. Two winning seasons later I am quite pleased and very excited about the 2014 season.

"Manager Buck Showalter spotted 19-year-old outfielder Josh Hart walking down a hallway today and called him over to meet Frank Robinson....

"He was coming down the hall and I was walking Frank out of the locker room," Showalter asked. "I go, 'Hold on a second, Frank. Josh, do you know who this is?'"

Showalter already knew the answer.

"He says, 'No,' and I said, 'OK, by this time tomorrow I want a page on Frank Robinson,'" Showalter said. "I said, 'You go home, you research it and you come back tomorrow and have it on my desk. Frank got a kick out of that. "It's not their fault, it's not their fault."

Is Hart going to do it?

"You bet your ass," Showalter replied. "It better be there tomorrow. He knows."

This may be the best exchange I've ever seen from a manager! Everytime Buck does something crazy with his bullpen usage or leaving his starter out there too long and I have to remind myself THIS is why I love Buck Showlater as the Orioles manager!

This may be the best exchange I've ever seen from a manager! Everytime Buck does something crazy with his bullpen usage or leaving his starter out there too long and I have to remind myself THIS is why I love Buck Showlater as the Orioles manager!

"He knows."

:rofl:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck still hasn't received 1 page report from Josh Hart on Frank Robinson. "He's got till the end of the day." <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">February 25, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That isn't a good sign for Mr Hart.

Not the type of impression you want to make your first spring training.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck still hasn't received 1 page report from Josh Hart on Frank Robinson. "He's got till the end of the day." <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">February 25, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Uh oh... I wonder if the kid knows it's made it to the media.

Heard this on the radio this morning, and I'm not surprised. On the sports century profile of Frank years ago, like beginning of the millennium, David Justice said a young guy in the locker room of the team he was on didn't know who Frank Robinson was, and it was basically the exact same situation as this. Baseball history isn't taught and valued as it once was, and today's generation of players has no basis to understand who guys like Frank Robinson are and what they did. Doesn't mean the baseball fan in me is happy, but it's not at all surprising and more and more becoming of today's generation.

Archived