Astros Going With Closer By Committee

Can_of_corn

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-last-call-is-anybody-s-guess-come-closing-5349140.php?t=df81b0e814&t=df81b0e814d87bd7f9&t=df81b0e814d87bd7f9

"I'm not a fan of that term 'by committee,' " Luhnow said. "I think Bo will have various options at his disposal, and he will determine the matchups based on who's coming up from the other team and what type of pitcher we have available and how much rest he's gotten and so forth. But I think we've got enough options for Bo to successfully navigate close games late."
Asked about role definition, Porter showed a little tough love.

"You know what your role is? When your phone rings and your name's called, go get people out," Porter said. "That's your role. That's why you're in the bullpen."

Nice. I wonder if more teams might try this if the Astros have success. At least those teams that don't have a clearly superior closer option like Kimbrel, Chapman, etc.

But even though I like the "committee" approach to closing, I doubt that it will have a very notable effect on the Astros save rate. Unless a bullpen is particularly well built for committee closing (multiple dominant matchup guys at the back end) I'd guess using a committee over a specialized closer might only add one or two more converted saves during the year, and it'd be hard to measure.

Nice article, I also noticed the writer isn't a fan of closer by committee, and that it hasn't worked in other locations, of course that doesn't stop the people from wanting the Orioles to try it. :)

Nice. I wonder if more teams might try this if the Astros have success. At least those teams that don't have a clearly superior closer option like Kimbrel, Chapman, etc.

But even though I like the "committee" approach to closing, I doubt that it will have a very notable effect on the Astros save rate. Unless a bullpen is particularly well built for committee closing (multiple dominant matchup guys at the back end) I'd guess using a committee over a specialized closer might only add one or two more converted saves during the year, and it'd be hard to measure.

To me it isn't an issue of being "better" at saving games. It is an issue of compensating one player for accumulating a flawed statistic. And of course usage issues, such as bringing a guy out of the pen three days in a row because it's a save opportunity.

To me it isn't an issue of being "better" at saving games. It is an issue of compensating one player for accumulating a flawed statistic. And of course usage issues, such as bringing a guy out of the pen three days in a row because it's a save opportunity.

The worst part about closers. I really don't care about them being overcompensated because of a flawed counting stat.

The worst part about closers. I really don't care about them being overcompensated because of a flawed counting stat.

Then there is the whole bit where one guys is pitching or warming up and BAM! it is suddenly a save opportunity so the Closer gets up and starts throwing. Hmm if O'Day is warming up to start the 9th in a tie game I am pretty sure you don't have to change guys because the O's just hit a 2 run homer.

Archived