Anyone Going to Norfolk Exhibition on Saturday?

Rene88

Well it was cool to see the Orioles on the Tides field but the game wasn't very well received. The O's did play their starters but with the bad conditions left each pitcher on about a 5 batter an inning limit. After 5 batters hit the teams would simply switch sides.

This lead to a TON of boos as the crowd realized they were just trying to get thru 5 innings to get the game official as to not have to give refunds.

As I said earlier I understand the health of the players but this game was a total and utter money grab. The Tides came off looking bad in this one as it was very clear they didn't want to lose that gate.

Yep, makes me very upset. The Nationals cancelled their game promptly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep, makes me very upset. The Nationals cancelled their game promptly.

Not quite promptly enough. I checked to see it was still on, got on a Metro train, and checked five minutes later and it had been cancelled but I was already on my way.

Met a friend, had some really good beer at Bluejacket Brewery, and came home. So it wasn't a wasted trip.

Nats are allowing exchange of tickets to any regular season game (except Opening Day) for a ticket of the same price or less.

Not quite promptly enough. I checked to see it was still on, got on a Metro train, and checked five minutes later and it had been cancelled but I was already on my way.

Met a friend, had some really good beer at Bluejacket Brewery, and came home. So it wasn't a wasted trip.

Nats are allowing exchange of tickets to any regular season game (except Opening Day) for a ticket of the same price or less.

Well I am just upset I spent $75 for this Orioles exhibition and got nothing. It made no sense to drive 3.5 hours each way to see a couple of innings.

So we saw the Muppets:) and grab some Indian food near the Watergate in Foggy Bottom.

Wow, so if it was 2 outs and 2 on and someone walked to load the bases, they would just call it a scoreless inning and go on to the next one?

Man, that is lame.

Haha, they started it in the 2nd inning when the O's were tying off on Davies. They had 1st and 3rd with 1 out (he had actually faced 6 or 7 batters that inning) and they called the inning.

Then the Tides were rallying had the bases loaded nobody out with a run in during the 4th or 5th and they called the innings. That got a very loud course of boos.

Like I've said before I get that its preseason, I get that your concerned for players safety but it was very fraud like. They were very clearly trying to get to the 5th inning anyway possible. My friends joked they didn't understand why they didn't just put up the 6th inning on the scoreboard really would be the same thing.

Well I am just upset I spent $75 for this Orioles exhibition and got nothing. It made no sense to drive 3.5 hours each way to see a couple of innings.

So we saw the Muppets:) and grab some Indian food near the Watergate in Foggy Bottom.

Next time you spend $75 in advance for tickets to an outdoor event that's 3.5 hours from home, perhaps you will go the night before and make a weekend of it, so the event just becomes the main thing and not the only thing. That way, you won't be totally disappointed if the event is rained out. It's not the Orioles' fault that it rained, and the game was for fans in Norfolk, not Arlington. They served their fans down there as well as they could.

Next time you spend $75 in advance for tickets to an outdoor event that's 3.5 hours from home, perhaps you will go the night before and make a weekend of it, so the event just becomes the main thing and not the only thing. That way, you won't be totally disappointed if the event is rained out. It's not the Orioles' fault that it rained, and the game was for fans in Norfolk, not Arlington. They served their fans down there as well as they could.

By speeding up the game so they would have to give a refund?? You call that "serving the fans"??? You work for the Tides?

By speeding up the game so they would have to give a refund?? You call that "serving the fans"??? You work for the Tides?

No, I don't. They gave folks in Norfolk the best opportunity to see the O's play there that they could. Far from perfect, yes, but better than risking player injury.

No, I don't. They gave folks in Norfolk the best opportunity to see the O's play there that they could. Far from perfect, yes, but better than risking player injury.

Nick was hurt on the trip there? May have happened regardless but not sure that would even qualify as a game. Sorry man, I enjoy your posts, but just strongly disagree here. I thought that was handled very poorly.

Nick was hurt on the trip there? May have happened regardless but not sure that would even qualify as a game. Sorry man, I enjoy your posts, but just strongly disagree here. I thought that was handled very poorly.

According to the Sun, "Markakis said he had no discomfort early this morning, then dealt with neck stiffness while on the flight from Sarasota, Fla." So, you're blaming his neck problem on this trip?

The Orioles wanted to play a game. They were rained out Thursday and had no game Friday. Once they got there, they didn't want to leave without playing. I'm sure the fans are upset. Would the fans who went to the game have preferred for it to be called and have no game at all?

According to the Sun, "Markakis said he had no discomfort early this morning, then dealt with neck stiffness while on the flight from Sarasota, Fla." So, you're blaming his neck problem on this trip?

The Orioles wanted to play a game. They were rained out Thursday and had no game Friday. Once they got there, they didn't want to leave without playing. I'm sure the fans are upset. Would the fans who went to the game have preferred for it to be called and have no game at all?

Yes! Exactly. Instead of getting our $ back, many got a short crappy game and many didn't even bother showing. Not playing would have been a much better decision.

Yeah, don't get me wrong I'm not blaming this on the Orioles. In fact I'd say its the opposite. The Orioles didn't want to be there because of the conditions it was fairly clear they were pressured by the organization to fly in Saturday. Like noted here the main guys needed to get their at bats. So once they were in Norfolk they needed to get there at bats. The good thing about this? The starters all played 5 innings besides Nick who was hurt.

Where the anger from many people in Norfolk comes is how the game was handled. Anyone with half a brain and a radar could see they would only be able to play from 3 to 4ish. It was pouring down from about 3:30 onward when they started skipping ahead of innings.

At that point its very clear they were just trying to reach 5 innings so there would be no refunds. I get it, your a minor league team that won't make that much money the rest of the year. But it was a total money grab and they need to own it for what it was.

When you end innings with no outs and the bases loaded you are going to piss a lot of people off. The Orioles and Tides players were utterly confused half the time.

I played both college and low level minor league baseball and never had a scrimmage manipulated quite this much. It was crazy.

That said I'm not really as upset as most as I live inbetween Norfolk and Baltimore and see them both at least 10 times a year in person. So for me I lost some money on tickets but will see them again.

Archived