Anyone Going to Norfolk Exhibition on Saturday?

Rene88

Oh and the Tides attempted damage control before officially calling the game early. They are letting fans trade in their tickets for a Mon-Thursday homegame this April. I find the restriction to April to be quite funny but oh well.

The Tides are spinning it like its a reward for fans because afterall they met their rainout policy. I sort of disagree iwth that as they took away 5 or 6 outs from the game. Why not just throw up the 6th inning on the board if your doing that.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to the game as a last minute decision because my son's little league game was rained out. It wasn't ideal what they did but I think it was the best thing they could do. They had the weather report and knew they only had two hours at the most so they limited the pitch count per inning to 25 to speed it up. People complaining about it being a total money grab are just too self centered for their own good. The world doesn't revolve around you and the $75 you spent for tickets. The Orioles were there, tons of local kids were there, and everyone wanted to see Davis and Jones hit which they did three times each. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to have to give refunds. It cost them tons of money to put on the game and any which way you can give the fans a chance to see the Orioles play is the best thing they could have done. If you are pissed, get over yourself. Things don't always have to go your way 100% and nor should they. We took my 7 year old, he got 8 autographs on a ball he got at an Orioles game last season, got a funnel cake and some ice cream, and had a great time. He couldn't have cared less about the rain because he was sitting 45 feet from his favorite player(Davis) when he batted twice. Maybe some people could learn a thing or two about life from children!

"I knew it was going to be ugly," Prather said. "But rain or shine, we got here."

The Tides had sold about 9,000 tickets in advance of the game, which featured, as Tides manager Ron Johnson pointed out, practically every player who will suit up for the Orioles in 2014.

The prospect of having the 3:05 p.m. contest rained out loomed up until 2:45, when, after the teams had warmed up and lineups had been announced, the bottom fell out.

The tarp went on the field for a few minutes, the rain soon stopped and the Tides had their window. The game, perhaps miraculously, started at 3:08.

Club president Ken Young said Tides fans are connected to Baltimore's players by the affiliation, which dates back to 2007. It made avoiding a total washout a priority.

"It's important to keep that connection for the fans," Young said. "And so from that end, I really think it's important to get it in."

Showalter, whose team is expected to contend in the American League East, obliged by leaving his stars in the game.

I think any criticism of any of this is entirely overblown. This was not a spring training game, this was an exhibition, which the fans who paid for tickets got. And also a free ticket to any April game. As fair as you could ever ask for.

Oh and the Tides attempted damage control before officially calling the game early. They are letting fans trade in their tickets for a Mon-Thursday homegame this April. I find the restriction to April to be quite funny but oh well.

The Tides are spinning it like its a reward for fans because afterall they met their rainout policy. I sort of disagree iwth that as they took away 5 or 6 outs from the game. Why not just throw up the 6th inning on the board if your doing that.

I think this is absolutely not the case. Sounds like you just want to stir something up. It was an exhibition. I don't know who decided to charge for it, but there is no spin. It got rained out. And fans got another ticket. End of story.

I went to the game as a last minute decision because my son's little league game was rained out. It wasn't ideal what they did but I think it was the best thing they could do. They had the weather report and knew they only had two hours at the most so they limited the pitch count per inning to 25 to speed it up. People complaining about it being a total money grab are just too self centered for their own good. The world doesn't revolve around you and the $75 you spent for tickets. The Orioles were there, tons of local kids were there, and everyone wanted to see Davis and Jones hit which they did three times each. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to have to give refunds. It cost them tons of money to put on the game and any which way you can give the fans a chance to see the Orioles play is the best thing they could have done. If you are pissed, get over yourself. Things don't always have to go your way 100% and nor should they. We took my 7 year old, he got 8 autographs on a ball he got at an Orioles game last season, got a funnel cake and some ice cream, and had a great time. He couldn't have cared less about the rain because he was sitting 45 feet from his favorite player(Davis) when he batted twice. Maybe some people could learn a thing or two about life from children!

This sounds very illogical of you. Your kid was happy because he didn't pay any money to go to the game. When you pay for a game you expect them to carry out their own rain policy. The fact they skipped 6 outs during the game just to get to the point where they don't have to offer refunds was crazy. You really sound like a pushover in life. Nobody said the game wasn't fun, it was fun for what it was. But to say people shouldn't complain about being screwed out of money is just silly. The Tides damaged their reputation with many yesterday.

Talk about being self centered? Your rationale was your son had a good time so everyone should have? Did you really bring that weak argument in here? The Tides are in damage control today as they should be. This was all on the Tides management the players/coaches/etc were just pawns in this. Nobody is mad at them. And like I said it was cool of the Orioles to come and play the starters but to say everyone got their moneys worth is REALLY pushing it.

I think this is absolutely not the case. Sounds like you just want to stir something up. It was an exhibition. I don't know who decided to charge for it, but there is no spin. It got rained out. And fans got another ticket. End of story.

What isn't the case? The fans in the park were loudy booiong, fans leaving were PISSED. They skipped 6 outs in the game thus never actually got 5 full innings in. Go to the Tides facebook page if you want to see just how many people are pissed off. Heck several are in this thread alone.

This sounds very illogical of you. Your kid was happy because he didn't pay any money to go to the game. When you pay for a game you expect them to carry out their own rain policy. The fact they skipped 6 outs during the game just to get to the point where they don't have to offer refunds was crazy. You really sound like a pushover in life. Nobody said the game wasn't fun, it was fun for what it was. But to say people shouldn't complain about being screwed out of money is just silly. The Tides damaged their reputation with many yesterday.

Talk about being self centered? Your rationale was your son had a good time so everyone should have? Did you really bring that weak argument in here? The Tides are in damage control today as they should be. This was all on the Tides management the players/coaches/etc were just pawns in this. Nobody is mad at them. And like I said it was cool of the Orioles to come and play the starters but to say everyone got their moneys worth is REALLY pushing it.

Everyone got their money's worth. If you want a refund on your tickets, I'm sure they'll oblige.

Everyone got their money's worth. If you want a refund on your tickets, I'm sure they'll oblige.

I have a hard time imaging they give anyone a refund but if you want to post an email or phone number from somebody within the Tides who you think can make that happen let us know. A couple people in this thread would be very happy.

I'm not much of a complainer. I go to 20 plus Orioles/Tides games a year (usually far more), 5 ST games in Sarasota a year, and many Orioles roads games each season. I've never once before said I didn't get my moneys worth. I love baseball. I played baseball. But that yesterday wasn't baseball.

Not everything the organization does is right or proper just because its our organization.

I have a hard time imaging they give anyone a refund but if you want to post an email or phone number from somebody within the Tides who you think can make that happen let us know. A couple people in this thread would be very happy.

I'm not much of a complainer. I go to 20 plus Orioles/Tides games a year (usually far more), 5 ST games in Sarasota a year, and many Orioles roads games each season. I've never once before said I didn't get my moneys worth. I love baseball. I played baseball. But that yesterday wasn't baseball.

Not everything the organization does is right or proper just because its our organization.

I'll send you a PM. Sorry you were disappointed by the weather. The organizations did the best they could with it.

What isn't the case? The fans in the park were loudy booiong, fans leaving were PISSED. They skipped 6 outs in the game thus never actually got 5 full innings in. Go to the Tides facebook page if you want to see just how many people are pissed off. Heck several are in this thread alone.

I looked at the Tides Facebook page. There are some complaints, but the overwhelming response is positive.

I'll send you a PM. Sorry you were disappointed by the weather. The organizations did the best they could with it.

Weams, thank you that would be kind of you. And for everyone who seems to be confused me and the other guys in this thread upset aren't upset they played the game. We are upset they manipulated the game so they wouldn't have to give refunds. If you did the 5 batters or 3 outs and finished a 9 inning game with it thats one thing. But when you do that and then stop right after the refund point its what you clearly had that on your mind.

I don't WANT ANY of our guys getting hurt. I don't want any humans hurt that don't need to get hurt much less our team that I hope contends this season. We were simply just saying it became very clear last night the Tides wanted to make sure they got that game in and didn't have to give refunds.

I love the Orioles, I love the Tides. Just was not happy with with the way it went down last night.

Weams, thank you that would be kind of you. And for everyone who seems to be confused me and the other guys in this thread upset aren't upset they played the game. We are upset they manipulated the game so they wouldn't have to give refunds. If you did the 5 batters or 3 outs and finished a 9 inning game with it thats one thing. But when you do that and then stop right after the refund point its what you clearly had that on your mind.

I don't WANT ANY of our guys getting hurt. I don't want any humans hurt that don't need to get hurt much less our team that I hope contends this season. We were simply just saying it became very clear last night the Tides wanted to make sure they got that game in and didn't have to give refunds.

I love the Orioles, I love the Tides. Just was not happy with with the way it went down last night.

They did not manipulate anything. They played as much as they could there was no refund policy in effect. It was not a game. It was an exhibition. Everyone, including the fans did the best they could with what the weather sent their way. Not everyone complaining here love the Oriole. Some folks want to make a deal about who the organization is inferior to other teams. I don't for one moment think their was any manipulation here at all. I've sent the PMs. And emailed the individual myself. Go Os and Tides.

They did not manipulate anything. They played as much as they could there was no refund policy in effect. It was not a game. It was an exhibition. Everyone, including the fans did the best they could with what the weather sent their way. Not everyone complaining here love the Oriole. Some folks want to make a deal about who the organization is inferior to other teams. I don't for one moment think their was any manipulation here at all. I've sent the PMs. And emailed the individual myself. Go Os and Tides.

When I was in Sarasota, one of my games got rained out. I had tickets to all the games that I needed. So an exchange was not really a great deal for me. Since my season plan had giving me those tickets complementary, there really was no money to be refunded. I am glad you got to see the teams in an exhibition.

Thanks for emailing and the manipulation we are speaking of is the ending of innings early. I have no problem ending the game after the 5th that after all is the policy. The problem we all had was the ending innings several outs early to "move it along". That said THANK YOU for emailing and giving me the email. That is why you are very well liked around here. Go O's.

Thanks for emailing and the manipulation we are speaking of is the ending of innings early. I have no problem ending the game after the 5th that after all is the policy. The problem we all had was the ending innings several outs early to "move it along". That said THANK YOU for emailing and giving me the email. That is why you are very well liked around here. Go O's.

Would you have preferred trips to the pitchers mound when the pitch counts rose while fans sat in the rain?

Archived