Schoop - The Blessing.

Ommaculate

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I enjoyed following the careers of can't miss Radhames Liz, Hayden Penn, Matt Riley, Luis Matos and Luis Hernandez.

I remember there was a guy who was promoted to Bowie at age 18 who was being compared to ARod. There was a lot of hype about him for a short time. Then it turned out he had lied about his age and he was actually 22 or 23. Does that ring a bell? Can't remember his name.

Edit - I think it was Eddie Rogers. http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=rogers002edw

and also who called Luis Hernandez can't miss? That guy was a non-prospect.

Old#5Fan. :D Not before he came up to sub for Tejada, but afterwards. Not sure "can't miss" was the exact phrase, but close enough. The gist was that he would save more runs with his glove than he's cost with his bat.

• 3 months later...
I remember there was a guy who was promoted to Bowie at age 18 who was being compared to ARod. There was a lot of hype about him for a short time. Then it turned out he had lied about his age and he was actually 22 or 23. Does that ring a bell? Can't remember his name.

Edit - I think it was Eddie Rogers. http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=rogers002edw

Ed Rogers and Matt Riley, both seen at top prospects for a brief moment in time. Luis Hernandez started a few months at SS under MacPhail I believe, but his numbers in the minors were never prospect worthy. Matos was ok a year or two. Same with Bigbie. I guess injuries derlaied all of them.

• 5 months later...

I was listening to one of the latest Fangraphs Audio podcasts the other day and they were talking about how the shift has changed the profile of a MLB 2B to some degree.  They talked about how 2016 was one of the best years ever at the plate for the position and it may have to do with defense being somewhat less important at the 2B position now.  Specifically, they mentioned that lateral range may be lessening in value and skills such as bat, good hands, ability to turn the DP and a strong arm may be becoming more valued.

One of the biggest knocks on Schoops game (defensive side) is his reduced range due to his size.  Any chance that the FO and Buck were on board with this trend early in bringing up Schoop early?  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 297 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

• I really hope the Ravens win this one. I hate all Washington teams and always root for them to lose but especially if they are playing Baltimore teams 
    • I really don’t see the point of trading Mullins, or even Mountcastle for a reliever. We need Mullins definitely, especially with Santander being a FA.  What good is a reliever if you can’t get a lead?  I just don’t like trading everyday players for relievers, especially when we have a good looking pen next year pre deadline, and what reliever would Mounty/Mullins even buy. Would that reliever even be an upgrade over what we already have? At this point, I’m thinking Mounty goes for some sort of RHH COF. 
    • We couldn’t have asked for more from the Eflin deal than what we got. 9 starts that kept the rotation afloat to even make the playoffs. Then a “good” playoff start in an elimination game where we had the luxury of going to the pen fast.  It’s always tough giving up prospects, but Eflin did exactly what we needed him to do post deadline.   
    • There should be one philosophy, and that's what the O's claimed to have. There's just a lot more work to coaching 13 hitters (plus callups) than one person can do. Going through video, coordinating with the data folks, developing a plan, all that stuff. Only so many hours in the day.
    • I have no idea why any team would want more than 1 philosophy across the board, especially a young team. Possibly a player's demands or contract calls for his own hitting coach.. but I stand by my wish.
    • At cost considerations there is 2 players i'd rather have listed in that article over Crochet, Helsley leading that. Also Mountcastle to the Reds for a SP makes a lot of sense also. 
    • Guilty. I'm working to be intentional to enjoy the day to day of a lot of exciting careers beginning, and not miss the moment as during say Peyton Manning's career in a different chapter of life when assured 14-2 or 13-3 seasons were four months of boredom while you waited to see what the playoff stumble would be this time.    SIGBOT's stuff works in the regular season same as Billy Beane's didn't in the playoffs. I don't follow Over/Unders, but would guess the 2025 Orioles are 1st or 2nd in the AL on early action.    My informal AL power rankings end of 2024: 1. A nonexistent Orioles team with a functional Adley Rutschman 2. Yankees with Soto 3. Tie between actual Orioles with broken Adley and end stage Astros that lost several series to hot Central teams 4. Yankees without Soto 5. Central I'm cheating Cleveland there for a joke, and hope they win, which they are plenty capable of doing.    It is an interesting matchup for the stuff the two teams are good at being very different.
  • Popular Contributors