Machado: Demotion an Option?

TonySoprano

Holy crap guys. A couple of days ago, he looked like he was getting back into a little groove. The guy just came off of a pretty serious surgery on his knee, give him some time. We saw what it was like with Schoop trying to man 3rd base earlier this year and it wasn't pretty.

IMO the more relevant questions is: Is demotion an option for Tillman? What about Ubaldo? The short answer is no of course because both are probably out of options, but lets focus on our biggest weaknesses, and right now the offense(and defense) are not them.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Milwaukee demoted J.J. Hardy for 3 weeks in August 2009 when he was hitting .229/.300/.367, even though he'd been a full-time starter for 4+ seasons and an all star in 2007. So yes, I'd say demotion is always an option.

By the way, the Hardy 3-week demotion delayed his eligibility for free agency by a year.

Yeah and he's probably still pissed about it. I know he was when we got him, and not too happy with the Twins either.

As for this Machado thing, I agree with 24. Shot across the bow. Things would have to really go south for him and the team for that to be an option. Not a bad idea to let him know it's there though.

Holy crap guys. A couple of days ago, he looked like he was getting back into a little groove. The guy just came off of a pretty serious surgery on his knee, give him some time. We saw what it was like with Schoop trying to man 3rd base earlier this year and it wasn't pretty.

IMO the more relevant questions is: Is demotion an option for Tillman? What about Ubaldo? The short answer is no of course because both are probably out of options, but lets focus on our biggest weaknesses, and right now the offense(and defense) are not them.

Why are you telling us to calm down and give him time? It was our GM that made the comment. We in no way decide if the kid is going to be sent down or not. Besides hes going to get a nice little vacation later today anyway.

I take it that you are not in favor of Buck as the Orioles manager?

I like Buck compared to what we've had over the last decade or so.

However, Buck is stubborn. He will put a player in a situation and watch him fail over and over again without making adjustments.

He doesn't use his bench, he seldom gives a player a day off, he seldom pinch runs, etc...

Managing against Buck must be easy, he is so predictable.

One of many examples.... Chris Davis gets hurt, Pierce (who for the life of me had been DFA'd) comes in, plays a great 1st base and hammers the ball. Chris comes back and struggles and how many times have we seen Pierce at first base since?

Remember JJ batting second all year? It's easy to locate the season when you look at his career stats.

I'll pick 1970 for fun, Earl's 4 outfielders.... Buford played in the most games with 144. Robinson and Blair played 132 (give or take) games. Rettenmund played the LEAST with almost 400 ABs in 106 games.

Robinson (Brooks) and Powell were the only two players that appeared in more than 150 games.

Two pitchers had more than 10 saves.

Pick any year, it's just the way things were.

I'd fall off my chair if I ever saw Weaver or Bauer immediately warm up the closer as soon as there is going to be a save situation ............. EVERYTIME. Just like clock work. Ask yourself who ruined Jim Johnson. I know what his save rate in 1 run games was. His 100 saves look great on paper.

Then there is Matt, let's just put him at catcher until his arms and legs fall off, his OPS doesn't matter.

Yeah, I like Buck, but there are better and I won't miss him when he's gone. I know one NL manager personally (since he was 6 or 7 years old) and I'd like to have him... But that won't happen anytime soon, that's no mystery.

Thread: Machado: Demotion an Option?

Ain't gonna happen! I don't care what they're babbling about! Probably a scare tactic for Manny to get his act together.

I don't think so. I think it was a mistake where DD spoke his mind seriously when he probably shouldn't have. We've already seen Manny is emotionally volatile right now. You think adding pressure is going to calm him down???

They also could recall infielder Steve Lombardozzi, whom they demoted shortly before activating Machado. Lombardozzi is batting .307 with a .692 OPS at Triple A.

Still not getting why Lombardozzi is the guy that generally gets consideration when DeJesus (who's a better infielder) has an .806 OPS with the same AAA team and had an .837 OPS last year in the same league.

yeah it maybe an option but he would have to play a lot worse.

June .258/.324/.516/.840. Do they have a guy I don't know about that can put up a .840 OPS somewhere. He hasn't been great but has been decent in June.

In my mind this is about more than mere numbers. Its is about his attitude, behavior and sending a message IMO.

It's a message I am pretty sure he will learn without involving a trip to the minors.

My first though was no way. BUT Manny is clueless right now and could be just what he needs. Manny could work on his hitting, and also learn how to act like a major leaguer. That's harsh I know, but it's the other half of the current argument (although it's not spoken publicly) and I'm not sure yet which side is right. If Manny is sent down, I bet he doesn't get called up until after the Oakland Series in July.

Doesn't Tillman have an option too? If Manny is being discussed, then it's not fair to leave out Chris. Wont happen, just saying.

This has about as much of a chance of happening as me playing 3B for the O's in the next week. Zip, Zilch, Zero

Well, if he's suspended, the Orioles may have good reason to demote him. First, from what I've heard, his suspension counts as he plays in the minors so instead of just sitting he's getting at bats. Second, maybe he does need to go back down and work on his plate discipline. He's put up a .630 OPS over his last 95 games. I fully believe Machado will be fine, but sometimes even the best of players need to take a step back to take the next step forward!

Still not getting why Lombardozzi is the guy that generally gets consideration when DeJesus (who's a better infielder) has an .806 OPS with the same AAA team and had an .837 OPS last year in the same league.

Its real simple. Lombardozzi has a future value of some sort in MLB and DeJesus is now 34 and does not.

It not just the O's that think this, its the rest of MLB as well. There is a reason why the guy is sitting at AAA and had nobody was willing to give him a MLB deal. He is a AAAA utility IF at this point and frankly there are younger options with better longterm upside or potential value than DeJesus. I know posters on here want the O's to make decisions that will make them better right here and now, I am thankful the O's are smart enough to not go that route and consider the big picture. Lombo might have a future or role over the next couple years...DeJesus..nope.

There is a tendency for some people to look at minor league stats or some decent stats over a short period of time and believe they will translate to MLB or that a guy has more value than he has. There has to be a scouting report that matches the production. Now some guys beat the odds and become productive players than expected but the reality is that chasing those kind of guys will let you down more often than not and depending on them as starters is a recipe for poor production and losing. I would think that over the past 15 yrs or so that is a message that O's fans would get. Pipedreams are usually just that ...pipedreams.

Archived