Machado: Demotion an Option?

TonySoprano

You do realize it's not 1970 anymore, right? And that the modern pitching staff has evolved because it allows more pitchers to throw at max effort and be more effective than would have been possible with the strategies of 1970. You could probably come up with a theoretical construct where your teams win more games by allowing the starter to go 8 innings, having four relievers on the roster, and having a tremendously long bench, but it would be just that - theoretical, because no one does that today. You act like Buck is some renegade, going off the reservation with crazy schemes. But in reality he is strategically indistinguishable from almost every other MLB manager.

You really think Duquette thinks so little of his and his organization's decision-making that they've essentially given up on a 4-year contract nine weeks in? If there's a recurring theme on the Hangout, it's that almost all real Major League decision-makers have about six times the patience of an average fan.

I know exactly what year it is and if you think ALL managers manage like Buck, you aren't worth talking to. That's no mystery.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know exactly what year it is and if you think ALL managers manage like Buck, you aren't worth talking to. That's no mystery.

I think the difference in wins, confining the discussion only to in-game strategy, between Buck and any other MLB manager is in the very low single digits. The difference between Buck and a theoretically optimized manager with 100% buy-in from his players is certainly less than five wins, and maybe as few as a couple.

Well, if he's suspended, the Orioles may have good reason to demote him. First, from what I've heard, his suspension counts as he plays in the minors so instead of just sitting he's getting at bats. Second, maybe he does need to go back down and work on his plate discipline. He's put up a .630 OPS over his last 95 games. I fully believe Machado will be fine, but sometimes even the best of players need to take a step back to take the next step forward!

You would know better than most here, but are you sure that's right? Seems like flaunting the rules somehow. Doesn't seem right. Patton didn't pitch till shortly before his suspension was up.

You would know better than most here, but are you sure that's right? Seems like flaunting the rules somehow. Doesn't seem right. Patton didn't pitch till shortly before his suspension was up.

His was a drug suspension so a bit different.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Will Machado's offensive struggles earn him demotion? <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> GM Duquette: "That's always an option." Story soon on <a href="http://t.co/zOZKNLVfVb">http://t.co/zOZKNLVfVb</a>.</p>? Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="
">June 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/

Don't think the FO would do that.

Dejesus is not 34. He is in his twenties. He may be 28 or 29, but not 34.

Yea I was not sure on his age and when I looked him up on baseball reference I accidentally click on David DeJesus....my bad.

Point remains that nobody is beating down his door for a reason. He is limited offensively ... he is a guy that tends to put up decent minor league numbers but scouts out to be very good AAAA player from the reports I have read on him. Nice guy to have around but no more a solution than what we have currently IMO

He could go play in the minors while suspended but would have to serve the 5 games in the majors upon being called up.

Manny has options. Therefore, optioning him is always an option, by definition.

I'm not sure I'd read anything more into Dan's comments than that. He was asked a question and gave a technically correct answer.

With strong impact to the implications. I am certain the message has been received.

It needs to happen. He's absolutely terrible offensively and no where near good enenough defensively now to make up for his pathetic bat. He needs to figure it out in the minors.

So Flaherty can play everyday? No freaking way. Just leave him out there, his talent will shine through.

So Flaherty can play everyday? No freaking way. Just leave him out there, his talent will shine through.

I can honestly say that I would rather have Flaherty at the plate than Machado. Exactly what talent does Manny have offensively? He's barely faster than Hardy/Wieters, he has no power, no plate discipline... He's a terrible offensive player.

Archived