Orioles messing with Gausman again what's new.

Greg

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good and cogent observations, yet I absolutely HATE that we don't have Gausman on the mound in a POSSIBLE game vs. Tanaka.If Gausman pitches like he did vs the Red Sox against the Yankees, he might negate the dominance of Tanaka until we could figure something else out late in that game. Now its almost a guaranteed loss because we can't hope to make him a non winner for three straight decisions.

Just make sure Schoop is in the lineup.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Gausman is eligible to return right after break. Buck said Gausman will no longer be on innings limit. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">July 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sounds like after break he's getting the ball every 5th day.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Gausman is eligible to return right after break. Buck said Gausman will no longer be on innings limit. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">July 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sounds like after break he's getting the ball every 5th day.

You really did not think that Buck was going to let Chris Davis pitch, did you ;)

Just make sure Schoop is in the lineup.
You're damn straight.
Roy's "other" favorite. :cool:
He also has two home runs against Tanaka.

Yep.

And I was there for one of them (the 3-run shot in April.) :cool:

I might have been there for the other one also, but I was in North Carolina.

I am not sure there are too many examples of a team treating an effective starting pitcher like a yo-yo as we've done with KG.

I'd be interested in KG's real thoughts on this ..... as, on the surface, the treatment does not seem so appropriate to me (especially as part of the influence of this is his service clock. Teams play the service clock game all the time, but usually wait until May or June ad call the player up for good.

It is a delicate dance sometimes putting the best players on the field versus juggling service team. Hopefully, our GM I a good juggler.

For the record he did say this, "I just try not to think about it, to be honest," he said. "Just stay in my routine. I feel pretty good where I'm at stuff-wise, and my bullpen sessions have really been getting a lot better. Fastball command has been great of late.

"It's more of just a move to keep those guys healthy out there and be prepared for anything that happens. If something happens early in the game tonight or tomorrow, it's one of those things you'd rather be ready and prepared for it than be shooting yourself in the foot."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/07/gausman-optioned-to-norfolk.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Honestly, what are you talking about? The Orioles won the first game with Gonzalez on the mound and the second game with Tillman on the mound and yet you're putting forth the argument that our only shot against Tanaka is if Gausman is on the mound? I swear I'm trying to let silliness like this go, but I have no idea if you actually believe this sort of nonsense. We are clearly an underdog with any of our starters against Tanaka but saying we have no choice the third time without Gausman is just ludicrous. We need to stop acting like so much if this is so black and white because it just isn't. The difference between our best and worst starter is like a couple shades of gray. Same with so many of these decisions so many of us like to get indignant about.

I've attached the two box scores to jog memories.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=340409110

http://espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=340622110

Our decisions are wrong decisions.

It's usually the middle of June (if they haven't been called up already) because the Super 2 deadline would have passed, assuming they've accrued no service time. The fact that Gausman was up last year for 71 days and has been up this year is screwing with that and they're accomplishing both his FA clock and his innings pitched by sending him down. It may not be popular but I'd rather have Gausman for 2020 than for 1 start this week before the ASG.

I get the above and I understand the service time issue and what is best for the organization in the long run.

Just saying that I don't remember another effective rookie starting pitcher who received this "up and down" treatment.

He's going to do what he's told to do, but that doesn't mean he has to like it especialy when the decisions are influenced by HIS service time. I am sure it's also tough to be a critical contributor to the team and yet not get to be with the team.

I get the above and I understand the service time issue and what is best for the organization in the long run.

Just saying that I don't remember another effective rookie starting pitcher who received this "up and down" treatment.

He's going to do what he's told to do, but that doesn't mean he has to like it especialy when the decisions are influenced by HIS service time. I am sure it's also tough to be a critical contributor to the team and yet not get to be with the team.

If the O's have sat down with him and explained why they are doing it and also indicate they see him in the rotation in the second half, my guess is Kevin will sit down with a bag of powdered doughnuts and day dream about his first playoff start with a smile.

I really think its all about communication and letting guys know why your doing what your doing. Most guys get irked when the communication piece is not there. DD does enough roster shuffling that I think he already understands the value of that. I feel pretty sure that KG knows and has been told how important the O's see him to their future. I also think if it help the O's get in the playoffs and potentially gets him a playoff start (dependent on performance) he recognizes that value as well. I think its far more distressing to fans than KG in actuality

If the O's have sat down with him and explained why they are doing it and also indicate they see him in the rotation in the second half, my guess is Kevin will sit down with a bag of powdered doughnuts and day dream about his first playoff start with a smile.

I really think its all about communication and letting guys know why your doing what your doing. Most guys get irked when the communication piece is not there. DD does enough roster shuffling that I think he already understands the value of that. I feel pretty sure that KG knows and has been told how important the O's see him to their future. I also think if it help the O's get in the playoffs and potentially gets him a playoff start (dependent on performance) he recognizes that value as well. I think its far more distressing to fans than KG in actuality

Exactly. Dan is going to stress the roster. It's what he does. He sees it is a way to gain an advantage. People can argue against it all they want but it seems to be working pretty well imo.

Honestly, what are you talking about? The Orioles won the first game with Gonzalez on the mound and the second game with Tillman on the mound and yet you're putting forth the argument that our only shot against Tanaka is if Gausman is on the mound? I swear I'm trying to let silliness like this go, but I have no idea if you actually believe this sort of nonsense. We are clearly an underdog with any of our starters against Tanaka but saying we have no choice the third time without Gausman is just ludicrous. We need to stop acting like so much if this is so black and white because it just isn't. The difference between our best and worst starter is like a couple shades of gray. Same with so many of these decisions so many of us like to get indignant about.

I've stopped thinking that there is much thinking to Roy's posts. It's pretty much from the gut to the keyboard without much in the way of a processing mechanism. I think that's by design. Roy isn't here to be intellectual imo (I'm sure he can be). Just consider him an off the cuff emotional character/fan and don't take much seriously and you'll enjoy him a lot more.

Besides, you don't want to be messing with the Firestone jinx do you?

Gausman has been caught in a numbers crunch. The up and down treatment is mostly because for the first time in more than a few years, the Orioles have 5 legitimate starting pitchers ahead of him. But my understanding is that this has had more to do with controlling Gausman's innings pitched than anything to do with his service time. They purposely kept his innings down the first half so that he could pitch the entire second half, including playoff games. It will be interesting to see what happens with the starting pitching after the AS break.

Archived