Orioles messing with Gausman again what's new.

Greg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Gausman to pitch Wed at Aberdeen shortened start. Then could start Sun for Os vs Boston.</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">July 1, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure there is some roster management reason to be doing this, as it keeps Tillman, Chen, Gonzo and Jimenez on a 5-day schedule and allows them to keep an extra reliever in the pen while fielding a 24-man roster due to Manny's suspension. But I do not particuarly like it either. Gausman was on a nice three-game roll before they messed with him.

I really don't consider having Gausman pitch in a MiL game closer to home than Norfolk "messing" with Gausman. It's just a way to get his work in between big league starts. Also, he had to spend 10 days in the minors after he was sent down. His time as the 26th Oriole for the double header did not eliminate that requirement. If he has to be down for 10 days, why not get his work in at Aberdeen. I think we make too much out of things that lots of teams do, in this case actually for a good reason.

This team has no clue how to handle top pitching prospect.

What do you suggest they do? If they keep him on 5 days, then you are messing with Tillman and you have Chen pitching in Fenway. They need a starter for Sunday unless you want McFarland making an unnecessary start.

I really don't consider having Gausman pitch in a MiL game closer to home than Norfolk "messing" with Gausman. It's just a way to get his work in between big league starts. Also, he had to spend 10 days in the minors after he was sent down. His time as the 26th Oriole for the double header did not eliminate that requirement. If he has to be down for 10 days, why not get his work in at Aberdeen. I think we make too much out of things that lots of teams do, in this case actually for a good reason.

10 days is done after today. No reason for this kid to be pitching in a MiL game.

What do you suggest they do? If they keep him on 5 days, then you are messing with Tillman and you have Chen pitching in Fenway. They need a starter for Sunday unless you want McFarland making an unnecessary start.

Buck said today T.J might start Sunday.

Do you prefer that TJ starts over Gausman on Sunday? If so, how do you get him back into the rotation. Remember that Norris may be back on Monday.

It's easy Gonzo not a starter.

Its not that hard to understand what the O's are doing with Gausman.

Gausman pitched 130 innings last year. That means he should not exceed 160 innings this year if they want him to stay away from injuries.

The O's have been limiting his innings thus far. And they will continue to do that until after the All-Star break. After the break he can take a turn every 5 or 6 days and be in the rotation for the rest of the regular season.

Not that hard to understand really.

It's easy Gonzo not a starter.

So you want Gausman on 7 days rest and TJ starting over Gonzalez. That's one option. It appears that they want Gonzalez over TJ for one start, which I agree with. I had thought of Gausman Friday and Gonzo Sunday. But that move won't add a start before the All Star break.

None of this equates to messing with Gausman, imo.

Its not that hard to understand what the O's are doing with Gausman.

Gausman pitched 130 innings last year. That means he should not exceed 160 innings this year if they want him to stay away from injuries.

The O's have been limiting his innings thus far. And they will continue to do that until after the All-Star break. After the break he can take a turn every 5 or 6 days and be in the rotation for the rest of the regular season.

Not that hard to understand really.

Bravo.

Archived