Orioles messing with Gausman again what's new.

Greg

Good thoughts.

But, even polished finished pitchers don't win every game.

Even Palmer, who won 268 games, lost 152.

If Gausman posts a .638 winning percentage, I'll take it. Especially if he throws a complete game 40% of the time, like Palmer did. ;)

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Gausman posts a .638 winning percentage, I'll take it. Especially if he throws a complete game 40% of the time, like Palmer did. ;)

Complete games are just about extinct, the Orioles have two for the whole season, and all the rest of the teams are at 2 or 3, with the exception of the Cards at 5, and the Dodgers and Reds at 4, and wow, they are all NL teams.

In 1968 & 69, Gibson started 35 games and completed 28.

Pretty good thoughts here.

Yup. I think Gausman was pretty unlucky yesterday as well as moderately predictable.

When you have that kind of stuff but are having trouble spotting your fastball and your secondaries are inconsistent you can probably still get away with it against lesser offensive teams. The better teams in the league will just make you throw tons of pitches.

Complete games are just about extinct, the Orioles have two for the whole season, and all the rest of the teams are at 2 or 3, with the exception of the Cards at 5, and the Dodgers and Reds at 4, and wow, they are all NL teams.

I know Tillman has one -- who threw the other one? Too lazy to look it up.

I know Tillman has one -- who threw the other one? Too lazy to look it up.

Gausman got credit for a complete game against the Yankees in the last game before the All-Star break on July 13th.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2014.shtml

I think we a need to be patient with Gausman. He's good enough to be a solid major league pitcher with the command and assortment of pitches that he has right now, but he's not a finished product. It seems likely he will do the rest of finishing school at the major league level, so we have to accept that there will be days when he doesn't look so hot, mixed in with the days when he looks like a future ace.

But does he have an assortment of pitches? That's why I asked earlier how often did he throw the slider/curve? He needs one offspeed pitch that he can throw for a strike so hitters aren't sitting dead red...

But does he have an assortment of pitches? That's why I asked earlier how often did he throw the slider/curve? He needs one offspeed pitch that he can throw for a strike so hitters aren't sitting dead red...

He throws 5 (3) pitches. A four seam and a one seam fastball, a slider, and two different change ups.

Doesn't Davish throw a 1 seam fastball?

Did he get special dispensation to use a cricket ball? Wait... even with a cricket ball the seam goes all the way around, meaning there's essentially two seams that rotate through the same spot. I think you'd have to have some kind of creative use of glue to make a baseball that only has one seam that goes halfway around.

Did he get special dispensation to use a cricket ball? Wait... even with a cricket ball the seam goes all the way around, meaning there's essentially two seams that rotate through the same spot. I think you'd have to have some kind of creative use of glue to make a baseball that only has one seam that goes halfway around.

Looks like the pitcher puts two fingers together on one seam.

darvish-one-seam-nikkan.jpg

Archived