Yankees Nearing Deal For Chase Headley (Done Deal - NY Trades Solarte +DePaula)

Greg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The funny thing about this deal -- at least for this season, I imagine Headley batting something along the lines of .254/.337/.381 for a 100 OPS+. In other words, exactly what Yangervis Solarte did. Time will tell.

Headley's a free agent at the end of the year and I wonder if the Yanks intend on resigning him.

The best possible outcome here is for Headley to OPS about .840 the rest of the way, the Yanks miss the playoffs anyway, then sign him to a 4/75 extension, and he ends up being worth 4 WAR over the deal.

Cashman: "He's a rental for the next two months, but our assessment of him by scouting, by performance, and the medicals, is it's a low risk. So we're excited to have him here."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/11248146/chase-headley-traded-new-york-yankees-san-diego-padres

Well he came up 2 or 3 times before that with a chance to win it and failed. Get enough chances and you're bound to come through eventually.

Really? He had 2 or 3 chances? No. In his 1st at bat in the 8th the Yankees went down 1-2-3. He made the 3rd out. He grounded out in the 11th with nobody on. In the 12th, Roberts was given an IBB to load the bases with one out. Cervelli lined out for out # 2 and Headley hit into a FC to end the inning. In the 14th he hit the GWRBI scoring Roberts.

Keep in mind he woke up as a Padre in Chicago. Told of the trade, he had to fly to NYC and arrived at 7:40 after the game was underway. Girardi said earlier that he'd be available to come off the bench and he did as a PH in the 8th. He stayed in at 3B and made a nice play catching a line drive over hit head off Odor. He had a long day and it ended well for him.

The funny thing about this deal -- at least for this season, I imagine Headley batting something along the lines of .254/.337/.381 for a 100 OPS+. In other words, exactly what Yangervis Solarte did. Time will tell.

Headley's a free agent at the end of the year and I wonder if the Yanks intend on resigning him.

IMO, this is just a move to appease the fan base. It tells them they're doing something to try and win. I don't think they Cashman or Girardi think this move makes them better...seems pretty lateral to me.

IMO, this is just a move to appease the fan base. It tells them they're doing something to try and win. I don't think they Cashman or Girardi think this move makes them better...seems pretty lateral to me.

Well, you guys are more confident than me about the demise of the Yankees. The Yankees have many established veterans, a very solid BP, and have made a couple nice incremental moves with Headley and McCarthy imo. I suspect they will add another SP at least. They are starting to worry me. If they can keep guys on the field for awhile, they have the potential to be very good.

Archived