Yankees Nearing Deal For Chase Headley (Done Deal - NY Trades Solarte +DePaula)

Greg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think he is a top 100 guy anymore he was when they thought he was 17 when they signed him not 20. Since then he has not been anything special and has been awrul this season in A ball and 23.

I would say this is Flaherty and Hobgood comp. Solarte was nothing special at all.

I dig the Flaherty comp all the way. One thing to keep in mind however is that Depaula, regardless of his age, misses more bats than Hobgood even though according to reports, Hobgood has a bit better of an arm. IMO Depaula sounds more like an older version of EdRod.

I dig the Flaherty comp all the way. One thing to keep in mind however is that Depaula, regardless of his age, misses more bats than Hobgood even though according to reports, Hobgood has a bit better of an arm. IMO Depaula sounds more like an older version of EdRod.

And we have no idea how much older. Hobgood is on no one's radar. Other Than Joe Jordan's.

Yeah we don't really have a great comp in Du Paula. Edrod was pretty good last year in A ball and is two years younger then him at AA this season so even with a poor year from him he is pitching at a higher level and two years younger. Dupaula is 23 in A ball he should be dominating at that age and was not listed as a top 20 prospect in their oraganization at the start of the season.

Definately a win for the Yankees.

Headley is hitting .320 in July

I expect him to have a resurgence in New York at the plate and his defense if very good.

Of course I don't think it really matter unless Tanaka comes back healthy or the Yankees get one of the TOR starters.

Yep, as long as he sustains that .417 BABIP, he is golden!

Definately a win for the Yankees.

Headley is hitting .320 in July

I expect him to have a resurgence in New York at the plate and his defense if very good.

Of course I don't think it really matter unless Tanaka comes back healthy or the Yankees get one of the TOR starters.

You're really citing the fact that he's hitting .320 in July? Talk about a small sample size! I do think Headley is a solid two-month upgrade for them at 3B, and sure he is likely to hit better at Yankee Stadium than at Petco. I doubt he moves the needle much, though, and then he'll be gone after September unless the Yankees choose to re-sign him.

Was DePaula still the Yankees number four prospect?

He was not even listed on their top 20 after last season though. I am not sure why he dropped so much guessing the fact he is 23 and started in A ball again but I wouls still think he would be on their.

This move doesn't move the needle. I don't think Solarte is much of anything, I don't know anything about DePaula.

Solarte wowed everybody early on but could not sustain his fast start. He hit .303 in April; .164 for June and was hitting .118 for July.

DePaula sank rapidly when he moved from Low-A to High-A. His ERA went from a 2.90 to a 6+.

I don't think he is a top 100 guy anymore he was when they thought he was 17 when they signed him not 20. Since then he has not been anything special and has been awrul this season in A ball and 23.

I would say this is Flaherty and Hobgood comp. Solarte was nothing special at all.

Just at a real high level I'd say this was something like Parker Bridwell and Francisco Peguero, if Peguero had been an emergency callup earlier in the year and OPS'd .900 for a month before crashing violently back to Earth. DePaula is 23 in A ball, high K rate, high ERA, not progressed as they'd originally hoped... kind of like Bridwell. Solarte was on the verge of being a minor league journeyman with significant warts, low-.700s career minor league OPS, already 26, same thing could describe Peguero save for Solarte's bizarre period of hitting for the Yanks earlier this year.

Remember when it was going to take half the farm system to acquire Headley? It'll be interesting to see what he does in NY. Two years ago he probably could have signed a giant extension, this year... he might be looking at a 1-year deal to boost his value.

So the Padres basically gave him away for nothing? Seems pretty bad move. Do they get the million or are they giving it away. If they are getting the million it seems like a better move. If they are giving it their GM should be fired.

So the Padres basically gave him away for nothing? Seems pretty bad move. Do they get the million or are they giving it away. If they are getting the million it seems like a better move. If they are giving it their GM should be fired.

They don't have a GM.

Josh Byrnes was fired on June 22, 2014

Way to stay up on events.

He was. For not trading the asset when it was actually perceived as good, and turning down offers that would have drastically improved the team. Essentially, he kept the ham past it's sell by date. And now it's Spam. Green Spam. They got nothing other than a bit of salary relief. And they liked it. Because the player is not good. The names attached were simply lottery tickets. And probably yesterday's lottery. It's already over.

Archived