vs. ANGELS, 7/30

OFFNY

o

The ESPN announcers stated that they believed that Gausman was being conscientious of his no-hitter in the 5th inning, and that that may have played a part in his walking the 3 batters that he did before the Angels got their 3 RBI's on 2 hits.

I think that they may have been onto something, although the home-plate umpire's strike zone seemed to be pretty stingy that inning, also.

They also mentioned that when he was struggling after he had walked the 3 batters that he did that inning that he looked back at the mound after he threw a 1-1 pitch for a ball to make the count 2-1, as if to try to blame something. Maybe.

What I did like (as did the announcers) was that he came back and settled in to pitch 2 more shutout innings after that near-disastrous 5th. Perhaps after he got the idea of the no-hitter out of his system AND survived a very scary inning, he re-focused and went back to pitching the way that he did in the first 4 innings.

Overall ...... rookie comes out firing early, struggles badly in the 5th (but doesn't completely fall apart), and then is able to re-focus and get back on his game to complete a solid outing of 3-run, 7-inning ball.

A learning experience for Gausman for sure, something that I believe can be very helpful to him in the long run.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply
o

The ESPN announcers stated that they believed that Gausman was being conscientious of his no-hitter in the 5th inning, and that that may have played a part in his walking the 3 batters that he did before the Angels got their 3 RBI's on 2 hits.

I think that they may have been onto something, although the home-plate umpire's strike zone seemed to be pretty stingy that inning, also.

They also mentioned that when he was struggling after he had walked the 3 batters that he did that inning that he looked back at the mound after he threw a 1-1 pitch for a ball to make the count 2-1, as if to try to blame something. Maybe.

What I did like (as did the announcers) was that he came back and settled in to pitch 2 more shutout innings after that near-disastrous 5th. Perhaps after he got the idea of the no-hitter out of his system AND survived a very scary inning, he re-focused and went back to pitching the way that he did in the first 4 innings.

Overall ...... rookie comes out firing early, struggles badly in the 5th (but doesn't completely fall apart), and then is able to re-focus and get back on his game to complete a solid outing of 3-run, 7-inning ball.

A learning experience for Gausman for sure, something that I believe can be very helpful to him in the long run.

The bold section is the key he kept his cool and did not lose it. ;)

o

I was thinking the same thing as it was happening. I was almost hoping he would give up a hit to get over the no-hitter ... although he had runners all over the place at that point.

Coming back in the following innings was incredibly impressive.

o

Not a crazy theory, i was real impressed with how he finished.

Archived