It is no fun watching Chris Davis

Specman

I think the Fangraphs piece I posted a few days ago made a lot of sense.

Or, we could just blame the newborn again.

I know I do. Which piece was it. I may have missed it. Maybe I make some better sense if I became educated on the subject.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't know. Anyone's guess but the real problem is in his swing/timing. He's not hitting the ball to LF anything like last year. He seemed much better at hitting offspeed mistakes last year. This year, he's late on the fastball and too early on the offspeed stuff. That's what happens when a player is in a slump. He's been in one all year. Injury? The obligue can't still be bothering him? What's different this year? He's married now. That's an easy one! When a player built like Davis puts up numbers like last year there are always the PED rumors. Why would he be on them last year and not this year? I don't have an answer. I just know the shift and bad calls by umps are not even worth talking about when it comes to why he looks so bad this year.

I am certain this is pretty accurate. I Have seen him watching balls outside the zone be called strike three's lately. I do not imagine that it is helping him get back on track.

If we want crazy theories: haven't some speculated that Josh Hamilton's struggles the last year or so were related to him trying to give up smokeless tobacco? Hasn't Chris been trying to give it up?

Not that I believe this is a cause, but it has occurred me once or twice this year. I assume (based on nothing, mind you) that trying to stop might cause headaches or other such symptoms? No? (Never tried it)

Didn't he finally get a big payday this offseason. Could it be that he is content enough with his one big year and having enough money to last him his whole life that he just isn't as motivated as he was last year? I hate to think that about anyone, but we see it in every sport once a guy gets paid and he just doesn't seem like he cares half the time.

Archived