Jimenez getting booed on Sunday.

Snutchy

Full grown adults should be properly equipped to deal with the phenomenon.

Here's you phenomenon... Please defend him ;)

I have never seen a barista getting paid millions for a few dozen hours of work while performing poorly (way below wTy hat he has shown capable of in the past ) but if I had I would feel booing was well justified. So how do you like that answer to a lame question comparing apples to oranges?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stop whining about poor multi

Millionaire baseball players being booed for not earning their paycheck. I for one think Ubaldo brings on the booing as for once I would like to see him pissed off at himself (show some fire or emotion) instead of walking off after being pulled with that Howdy Doody half smirk on his face.

But is that enough? Clearly, I'm starting way behind here. How can I make up ground?

Your exact words:

How exactly was that sentiment limited to professional athletes making millions of dollars? IMO, you can either act like an adult and handle disappointment accordingly, or you can act like a noisy animal and "boo" to your heart's content.

Have you ever really thought about that? What it means to "voice" your displeasure by booing (or even approval via clapping, for that matter)? It's basically the least sophisticated brand of human communication that you can utilize, short of throwing your poop at people who disappoint you.

I don't usually take issue with booing and cheering because, when you're talking about jeering opposing players, I think most booing is, at its center, good-natured. Opposing players expect flak from opposing fans, but most of it isn't genuinely aggressive or intended to injure.

But booing your own team's players? There's nothing worthwhile about that. Ubaldo knew he pitched like s--- when he came out of that game. He knows that he's let his team and the city's baseball fans down this season. He doesn't merit any praise for his work this season, but there's no reason for hometown fans to twist the knife, either.

Unless you want to be regarded as some kind of guileless beast who's only as loyal as its most recent meal, in which case I am happy to oblige.

Weren't you just telling me not to pick on these guys?

Those,going on and about not ever booing are full of it. Are you trying to say you have never booed an umpire over a call? Umpires,are under a lot of stress and don't have big guaranteed contracts. Do you get upset when Buck argues with the Umpires and call him classless. Have you booed an opposing pitcher for throwing to close to our players heads? Hey he is just trying to get guys out.

But keep going on and on about how you don't boo to make yourselves feel better.

Your exact words:

How exactly was that sentiment limited to professional athletes making millions of dollars? IMO, you can either act like an adult and handle disappointment accordingly, or you can act like a noisy animal and "boo" to your heart's content.

Have you ever really thought about that? What it means to "voice" your displeasure by booing (or even approval via clapping, for that matter)? It's basically the least sophisticated brand of human communication that you can utilize, short of throwing your poop at people who disappoint you.

I don't usually take issue with booing and cheering because, when you're talking about jeering opposing players, I think most booing is, at its center, good-natured. Opposing players expect flak from opposing fans, but most of it isn't genuinely aggressive or intended to injure.

But booing your own team's players? There's nothing worthwhile about that. Ubaldo knew he pitched like s--- when he came out of that game. He knows that he's let his team and the city's baseball fans down this season. He doesn't merit any praise for his work this season, but there's no reason for hometown fans to twist the knife, either.

Unless you want to be regarded as some kind of guileless beast who's only as loyal as its most recent meal, in which case I am happy to oblige.

You know what you can spew all those elegant thoughts all you want but the bottom line is results. That is really all that truly matters in professional sports which is why they get the big bucks in the first place. So please don't preach to me on this as I find it very juvenile to adopt some sort of Little League "oh we must never boo our home team" philosophy. I and many Ravens fans booed them at halftime when they played horribly against the Broncos during their Super Bowl. And you know what the players themselves said they deserved it. So Maybe that helped spur them to redeem themselves with that awesome playoff win in Denver? I personally believe your view is a sissified wimpy way if viewing Ubaldo, who in my view needs to am up and just do his damn job.

You know what you can spew all those elegant thoughts all you want but the bottom line is results. That is really all that truly matters in professional sports which is why they get the big bucks in the first place. So please don't preach to me on this as I find it very juvenile to adopt some sort of Little League "oh we must never boo our home team" philosophy. I and many Ravens fans booed them at halftime when they played horribly against the Broncos during their Super Bowl. And you know what the players themselves said they deserved it. So Maybe that helped spur them to redeem themselves with that awesome playoff win in Denver? I personally believe your view is a sissified way of viewing Ubaldo, who in my view needs to man up and just do his damn job.

Stop whining about poor multi

Millionaire baseball players being booed for not earning their paycheck. I for one think Ubaldo brings on the booing as for once I would like to see him pissed off at himself (show some fire or emotion) instead of walking off after being pulled with that Howdy Doody half smirk on his face.

Right because you of all people are able to discern that deep down in inside when he fails and walks off the mound with the smirk you claim to see he's really thinking,"These stupid fans, who cares what they think? I got paid." "Now I'll give them my famous Howdy Doody smirk." (I'm sure Howdy was a big hit in his country)

Something like that?

I don't see anyone whining about Ubaldo. I do see you with an active fantasy life.

You know what you can spew all those elegant thoughts all you want but the bottom line is results. That is really all that truly matters in professional sports which is why they get the big bucks in the first place. So please don't preach to me on this as I find it very juvenile to adopt some sort of Little League "oh we must never boo our home team" philosophy. I and many Ravens fans booed them at halftime when they played horribly against the Broncos during their Super Bowl. And you know what the players themselves said they deserved it. So Maybe that helped spur them to redeem themselves with that awesome playoff win in Denver? I personally believe your view is a sissified wimpy way if viewing Ubaldo, who in my view needs to am up and just do his damn job.

Nothing motivates a high-end professional athlete like some time in the stockade. Put him right down by the harbor and set out crates of eggs and old tomatoes for passersby to express their unwussified anger at his performances that have brought dishonor to the city of Baltimore.

Those,going on and about not ever booing are full of it. Are you trying to say you have never booed an umpire over a call? Umpires,are under a lot of stress and don't have big guaranteed contracts. Do you get upset when Buck argues with the Umpires and call him classless. Have you booed an opposing pitcher for throwing to close to our players heads? Hey he is just trying to get guys out.

But keep going on and on about how you don't boo to make yourselves feel better.

My point is... booing YOUR OWN player is not just lame... But given UB's prior success and the fact that we may need him this year - it shows that a large number of fans here are ignorant. Not only do you have to pike onto a player who knows he is struggling... But his teammate, coaches and manager have to defend hi when they should be celebrating another win.

Booing your own adds no value... And actually hurts your team. Why do it??

I believe booing at any level, except for comedic value or for someone that displaying poor sportsmanship is out of line. Fans are pretty good about acknowledging opposition's great defensive plays and sometimes their offensive performances.

Much of the anger seems to be directed because of his salary. Is it his fault that the O's offered that contract? Would any of you say no to it? With his history he is likely to give the O's a couple of good years and a couple of poor years.

Being an O's fan, I find the booing particularly absurd while the O's are so well entrenched in first place. I guess fans (and even some OHer's) are happier when they can find something to complain about. I was at a Camden Yards opener a few years back when Miguel Gonzalez was introduced to boos on opening day a few years back...opening day, a joyous day, 150+ games to judge a player's performance and he is greeted by boos. People here complain about the Yanks and Sox fans....I've never seen anything like that on an Opening Day anywhere.

I hope that during the playoffs this year that the O's crowd might show some restraint if an O has a stinky performance. But, I suppose if it makes you feel better (because all you do is great) or are a follower of the crowd then go ahead, your performance as a fan will look much worse than the player's performance on the field.

Nothing motivates a high-end professional athlete like some time in the stockade. Put him right down by the harbor and set out crates of eggs and old tomatoes for passersby to express their unwussified anger at his performances that have brought dishonor to the city of Baltimore.

You certainly can mock me and joke around all you want but while you are doing so I will point out something to you that you may have difficulty in summarily dismissing. I have no idea if you are an NFL fan or not but the season the Baltimore Colts won Super Bowl V their defensive leader was Mike "mad dog" Curtis who as the season progressed thought some of his teammates were not playing up to their capabilities. So he called a team meeting and told just the defense that he was holding each man personally accountable and all he was asking of them was to just "do their damn job." He further stated with much sincerity that if anyone didn't he was going to "kick their ass." You know what? Even the offense heard this and started playing better and they went on run and won the Super Bowl vrs Dallas. This is on NFL film documentary about the 1971 Baltimore Colts. It happened.

You certainly can mock me and joke around all you want but while you are doing so I will point out something to you that you may have difficulty in summarily dismissing. I have no idea if you are an NFL fan or not but the season the Baltimore Colts won Super Bowl V their defensive leader was Mike "mad dog" Curtis who as the season progressed thought some of his teammates were not playing up to their capabilities. So he called a team meeting and told just the defense that he was holding each man personally accountable and all he was asking of them was to just "do their damn job." He further stated with much sincerity that if anyone didn't he was going to "kick their ass." You know what? Even the offense heard this and started playing better and they went on run and won the Super Bowl vrs Dallas. This is on NFL film documentary about the 1971 Baltimore Colts. It happened.

Mike Curtis? You mean the guy who missed most of the 1975 season with a "knee injury"? Sally No-Knees should've manned up and walked it off. No wonder he wound up with the Seahawks.

Archived