New Pace of Game Rules

TonySoprano

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This even necessarily directed at current fans but more so at attracting the younger generation. If you want to attract new fans you don't want them bored after their first game. Don't know if these rules actually solve any of that.

I actually like the IBB rule. I know there have been some random events to happen (Vlad) during IBB, but what is the point really in making them throw the 4 pitches. There is also the tendency for some pitchers to lose some command after a IBB, but that goes for both teams.

So now, whenever the manager wants the catcher to go talk to the pitcher the second baseman will do this:

oscar_hhbyew7lcrnt167a5j0zw9bv1.jpg?t=1346147587&w=640&h=360&quality=97&cropTo=top

I'm all for speeding up the game, but conferences between players is not a serious game-delaying problem, IMO. Trainer visits take a lot longer than catcher visits to the mound.

I am also not sure that 2 minutes and 30 seconds is a reasonable time allotment to allow a reliever to walk in from the bullpen and throw 8 warm-up pitches. I don't want my big hitter hit in the head by a pitch because the the pitcher wasn't allowed enough time to warm up.

So now, whenever the manager wants the catcher to go talk to the pitcher the second baseman will do this:

oscar_hhbyew7lcrnt167a5j0zw9bv1.jpg?t=1346147587&w=640&h=360&quality=97&cropTo=top

I'm all for speeding up the game, but conferences between players is not a serious game-delaying problem, IMO. Trainer visits take a lot longer than catcher visits to the mound.

I am also not sure that 2 minutes and 30 seconds is a reasonable time allotment to allow a reliever to walk in from the bullpen and throw 8 warm-up pitches. I don't want my big hitter hit in the head by a pitch because the the pitcher wasn't allowed enough time to warm up.

I have a feeling that unusual injuries in key moments will be heavily scrutinized.

And if you don't think 2:30 is enough time for Joba to gather up the wheelbarrow, hoist his beard and substantial girth into it, and haul it out to the mound... well, maybe he needs to find his way to the dugout prior to the official pitching change. Or bring back bullpen carts. Or just not change pitchers every eight pitches.

I think that this is the operative word in this scenario.

If the pitcher jogs the 400 feet, he should have plenty of time for his warm up pitches.

Besides, he should be pretty much ready to go after he has warmed up in the pen.

I think this portion of the new rules should be called the Fernando Rodney rule.

It must have taken him 4 minutes to get to the mound in a game against the Orioles earlier in the year.

I think that this is the operative word in this scenario.

If the pitcher jogs the 400 feet, he should have plenty of time for his warm up pitches.

Besides, he should be pretty much ready to go after he has warmed up in the pen.

I think this portion of the new rules should be called the Fernando Rodney rule.

It must have taken him 4 minutes to get to the mound in a game against the Orioles earlier in the year.

That was because he had left his quiver in the bullpen and had to go back and get it.

That was because he had left his quiver in the bullpen and had to go back and get it.

Actually, I think he was ticked because the Mariners scored a couple of runs in the top half of the ninth to make it a non save situation.

However, he did get to shoot his arrow, so I guess it worked out for him in the end.:)

Cricket

Yeah, unfortunately it hasn't taken off as a modern sport here in the US, so I can't speak to much of its rules. The last thing I want to see in baseball is a batter looking behind him at a 20 second "shot clock" so he doesn't take a strike call.

Yeah, unfortunately it hasn't taken off as a modern sport here in the US, so I can't speak to much of its rules. The last thing I want to see in baseball is a batter looking behind him at a 20 second "shot clock" so he doesn't take a strike call.

Maybe they could figure out when an average game started in 1920, figure out when the sun goes down that day, subtract one from the other, and that's how long the game lasts. At that point it's called due to darkness. Might be a big incentive for everyone to not stroll in from the bullpen, or adjust the batting gloves after each pitch.

For the first 100ish years of baseball history there very much was a clock. I'd bet Cubs games got a lot longer when Wrigley got lights.

Edit: I've seen quotes from cricketers along the lines of "it ain't a real sport unless it takes five days."

Maybe they could figure out when an average game started in 1920, figure out when the sun goes down that day, subtract one from the other, and that's how long the game lasts. At that point it's called due to darkness. Might be a big incentive for everyone to not stroll in from the bullpen, or adjust the batting gloves after each pitch.

For the first 100ish years of baseball history there very much was a clock. I'd bet Cubs games got a lot longer when Wrigley got lights.

Edit: I've seen quotes from cricketers along the lines of "it ain't a real sport unless it takes five days."

I always try to understand your posts, but they are always just musing and rambling, and not much else. You know exactly what I'm saying, yet you can't for some reason, just ever answer something directly without having to prove that you know stuff about baseball from 100 years ago.

Sure, there is a clock when you have no lights in your stadium and it gets dark. It's not 100 years ago, everyone has electricity in their stadiums now. The times from the bullpen are easily remedied, just cut back the amount of commercials that air during pitching changes, which most likely have more of an effect than Chamberlain looking for a wheelbarrow.

I always try to understand your posts, but they are always just musing and rambling, and not much else. You know exactly what I'm saying, yet you can't for some reason, just never answer something directly without having to prove that you know stuff about baseball from 100 years ago.

Sure, there is a clock when you have no lights in your stadium and it gets dark. It's not 100 years ago, everyone has electricity in their stadiums now. The times from the bullpen are easily remedied, just cut back the amount of commercials that air during pitching changes, which most likely have more of an effect than Chamberlain looking for a wheelbarrow.

I'll get right to the point: For 100 years players and umpires had a huge incentive to keep the pace of play up. And they played 2:00 ballgames. Now that the incentive is gone we play 3-4 hour games. It can be fixed if someone has the will. It needs to be.

I'll get right to the point: For 100 years players and umpires had a huge incentive to keep the pace of play up. And they played 2:00 ballgames. Now that the incentive is gone we play 3-4 hour games. It can be fixed if someone has the will. It needs to be.

I don't see any evidence that this is a need.

I think most of us would like to have it happen. I don't think the future health of the sport is necessarily predicated upon it happening.

How many of those games were on television? Obviously pace of play could be sped up but I don't think it's fair to point out 2 hour game times back before stadium lights and regional sports networks.

Archived