2014 Rule 5 Draft

WarehouseChatter

I keep a pretty good list of all players in our organization along with key facts which allows me to track their Rule 5 eligibility dates among other things. While this list may not be perfect (and I would love feedback if you see something that doesn't look right), I wanted to share. Keep in mind that some of these players are very likely to be added to the 40 man roster before the draft.

Jefferies Almonte

Roderick Bernadina

Parker Bridwell

Glynn Davis

Jason Esposito

David Freitas

Eddie Gamboa

Mychal Givens

Luis Gonzalez

Ivan Hernandez

Matt Hobgood

Oswill Lartiguez

Ronarsy Ledesma

Gregory Lorenzo

Jason McCracken

Alex Mercedes

Kyle Moore - Coach

Tanner Murphy

Bennett Parry

Jerome Pena

Pedro Perez

Chris Petrini

Jake Pettit

David Richardson

John Ruettiger

Alex Santana

Wynston Sawyer

Janser Severino

Sammie Starr

Matt Taylor

Ashur Tolliver

Sebastian Vader

Brian Ward

Brenden Webb

Tyler Wilson

Mike Wright

I'd protect:

Wright

Esposito

Davis

Bridwell

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I keep a pretty good list of all players in our organization along with key facts which allows me to track their Rule 5 eligibility dates among other things. While this list may not be perfect (and I would love feedback if you see something that doesn't look right), I wanted to share. Keep in mind that some of these players are very likely to be added to the 40 man roster before the draft.

Jefferies Almonte

Roderick Bernadina

Parker Bridwell

Glynn Davis

Jason Esposito

David Freitas

Eddie Gamboa

Mychal Givens

Luis Gonzalez

Ivan Hernandez

Matt Hobgood

Oswill Lartiguez

Ronarsy Ledesma

Gregory Lorenzo

Jason McCracken

Alex Mercedes

Kyle Moore - Coach

Tanner Murphy

Bennett Parry

Jerome Pena

Pedro Perez

Chris Petrini

Jake Pettit

David Richardson

John Ruettiger

Alex Santana

Wynston Sawyer

Janser Severino

Sammie Starr

Matt Taylor

Ashur Tolliver

Sebastian Vader

Brian Ward

Brenden Webb

Tyler Wilson

Mike Wright

Mike Wright is a must add.

I think Parker Bridwell, Brian Ward, Eddie Gamboa, and Tyler Wilson should all be added, too.

And Oliver Drake is going to be a free agent this year. Does adding him to the 40 man roster mean he doesn't hit free agency? They really ought to keep him in the organization.

Mike Wright is a must add.

I think Parker Bridwell, Brian Ward, Eddie Gamboa, and Tyler Wilson should all be added, too.

And Oliver Drake is going to be a free agent this year. Does adding him to the 40 man roster mean he doesn't hit free agency? They really ought to keep him in the organization.

Brian Ward has been eligible for Rule 5 for several years now. No reason to protect him now. He is simply organization depth.

Drake has two option years remaining if he does get readded. Though the lack of call up in September leans theory that he won't be protected. Minor league free agents have already declared so if they haven't been added yet they can't be added now without a new contract. And in this case, a team could wait until after the draft to announce a signing of a player they are afraid might get taken.

Gambia was added last year but removed after a week. I think at this point someone taking a flier on him might be the best thing for him.

I think Ward is a solid 3rd catcher. Same 33% CS that Caleb Joseph had in Norfolk. Clevenger caught like 25% of guys in his AAA career.

Ohlman and Clevenger are catchers in name only. They're no good and don't belong on the 40 man, in my opinion. I'd take Ward over either of them as 3rd catcher. Steamer thinks Ward would be a .593 OPS hitter next year. That's good enough for me for a defense first, 3rd catcher. Teagarden is a fine comparison, also a good 3rd catcher to have in AAA in case we need a backup.

Letting Gamboa go would be a mistake, in my opinion. Same with Drake, but I agree that the fact that he never got called up doesn't bode well for him. I don't see why though. 33.8 K% in AA last year is pretty darn good.

I think Ward is a solid 3rd catcher. Same 33% CS that Caleb Joseph had in Norfolk. Clevenger caught like 25% of guys in his AAA career.

Ohlman and Clevenger are catchers in name only. They're no good and don't belong on the 40 man, in my opinion. I'd take Ward over either of them as 3rd catcher. Steamer thinks Ward would be a .593 OPS hitter next year. That's good enough for me for a defense first, 3rd catcher. Teagarden is a fine comparison, also a good 3rd catcher to have in AAA in case we need a backup.

Letting Gamboa go would be a mistake, in my opinion. Same with Drake, but I agree that the fact that he never got called up doesn't bode well for him. I don't see why though. 33.8 K% in AA last year is pretty darn good.

Ohlman would be taken in a minute. I believe he is one of our top twenty prospects. Whether he can catch or not.

I would definitely protect Wright, Bridwell and Wilson.

I would look long and hard into protecting Mychal Givens. It would just depend on how many spots I had left. I know his numbers are not that great, but this is an important year for his development. I think you have to give an arm like that one more year to see what you have when the kid gloves come off and you extend him a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would definitely protect Wright, Bridwell and Wilson.

I would look long and hard into protecting Mychal Givens. It would just depend on how many spots I had left. I know his numbers are not that great, but this is an important year for his development. I think you have to give an arm like that one more year to see what you have when the kid gloves come off and you extend him a bit.

I am not going to argue, but do you think there is any chance that Mychal Givens could pitch in the major leagues for the whole year for anyone this year even if someone else who had not spent at high pick and lots of money on him took a shot on him?

I am not going to argue, but do you think there is any chance that Mychal Givens could pitch in the major leagues for the whole year for anyone this year even if someone else who had not spent at high pick and lots of money on him took a shot on him?

I do not disagree Weams, that is why I wrote what I did. But, I am not privy to what progress he may have made with whatever he may have been working on this season and in the AFL. I think there are maybe a team or two that may take him and try to stash him. Arizona, Colorado (especially if they trade Tulo and Cargo), San Diego, Miami, Toronto, ChiSox and Houston come to mind as teams that would try to stash him if they like what he can be in a year or two. He has the velocity, not sure about a secondary pitch really, and we know his command is not great at this time. But where is he in the development plan in place for him? They held him back some to protect him this year, so lets take one more year to see...if we have the room...perhaps.

Bridwell has to be protected, along with Wright and Wilson. I don't see Givens sticking all year on a staff. Any early possibilities on who might be available? Any teams in a 40 man roster crunch, I know Weams mentioned the Astros in another thread, anyone else?

Astros have done well to help themselves with their roster crunch. The Cosart trade to Miami opened up a spot or two and the trade for Conger freed up another spot.

The Cubs might be someone to watch.

Wright is must. Bridwell and Wilson I would protect also.

Givens I might add to that list, he looked pretty good in the AFL and I think the kid could be a pretty good reliever. I doubt though that he or Bridwell would stick even if selected.

Wright is must. Bridwell and Wilson I would protect also.

Givens I might add to that list, he looked pretty good in the AFL and I think the kid could be a pretty good reliever. I doubt though that he or Bridwell would stick even if selected.

That's one reason I'm not feeling any need to protect Bridwell. I know he's talented and looks the part, but I can't see him making a major league 25 man roster in 2015. If he does, I wouldn't lose any sleep over losing him.

That's one reason I'm not feeling any need to protect Bridwell. I know he's talented and looks the part, but I can't see him making a major league 25 man roster in 2015. If he does, I wouldn't lose any sleep over losing him.

I can see him making a team.

Then I can see him having a couple appearances like he has in the AFL and not sticking.

But I can totally see a team in love with his arm and him having a spring good enough to make a bullpen in the mop up role.

Archived