2014 Rule 5 Draft

WarehouseChatter

I keep a pretty good list of all players in our organization along with key facts which allows me to track their Rule 5 eligibility dates among other things. While this list may not be perfect (and I would love feedback if you see something that doesn't look right), I wanted to share. Keep in mind that some of these players are very likely to be added to the 40 man roster before the draft.

Jefferies Almonte

Roderick Bernadina

Parker Bridwell

Glynn Davis

Jason Esposito

David Freitas

Eddie Gamboa

Mychal Givens

Luis Gonzalez

Ivan Hernandez

Matt Hobgood

Oswill Lartiguez

Ronarsy Ledesma

Gregory Lorenzo

Jason McCracken

Alex Mercedes

Kyle Moore - Coach

Tanner Murphy

Bennett Parry

Jerome Pena

Pedro Perez

Chris Petrini

Jake Pettit

David Richardson

John Ruettiger

Alex Santana

Wynston Sawyer

Janser Severino

Sammie Starr

Matt Taylor

Ashur Tolliver

Sebastian Vader

Brian Ward

Brenden Webb

Tyler Wilson

Mike Wright

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I keep a pretty good list of all players in our organization along with key facts which allows me to track their Rule 5 eligibility dates among other things. While this list may not be perfect (and I would love feedback if you see something that doesn't look right), I wanted to share. Keep in mind that some of these players are very likely to be added to the 40 man roster before the draft.

Jefferies Almonte

Roderick Bernadina

Parker Bridwell

Glynn Davis

Jason Esposito

David Freitas

Eddie Gamboa

Mychal Givens

Luis Gonzalez

Ivan Hernandez

Matt Hobgood

Oswill Lartiguez

Ronarsy Ledesma

Gregory Lorenzo

Jason McCracken

Alex Mercedes

Kyle Moore - Coach

Tanner Murphy

Bennett Parry

Jerome Pena

Pedro Perez

Chris Petrini

Jake Pettit

David Richardson

John Ruettiger

Alex Santana

Wynston Sawyer

Janser Severino

Sammie Starr

Matt Taylor

Ashur Tolliver

Sebastian Vader

Brian Ward

Brenden Webb

Tyler Wilson

Mike Wright

Mike Wright

Tyler Wilson

Jason Esposito

Parker Bridwell

Not trying to be argumentative by would would any ML team draft Glynn Davis or Jason Esposito?

The same reason the O's took Almanzar - they see a long-shot with some ability - and there's very little risk in giving them a shot. Personally, I wouldn't have interest in Esposito, but Davis has speed, presumably defense, and hit .300 with a .356 OBP between Frederick and Bowie. At 22, he's a long-shot to develop some pop, but if he does, he could become a nice backup for a lot of years.

First off, very nice list.

I think you may have forgotten a few guys. I believe the following players are also eligible:

- Gura

- Drake

- B. Bundy

- Beal

Also, I believe Petrini was cut during the season. Again, great list.

Personally, I would protect Wilson and Wright.

The same reason the O's took Almanzar - they see a long-shot with some ability - and there's very little risk in giving them a shot. Personally, I wouldn't have interest in Esposito, but Davis has speed, presumably defense, and hit .300 with a .356 OBP between Frederick and Bowie. At 22, he's a long-shot to develop some pop, but if he does, he could become a nice backup for a lot of years.

So for that very reason you don't protect them. Almanzar ended up going back to Boston without playing a single game on the major league roster.

And there are only so many roster spots, you can't use them all. This is where calling up Walker semi backfires.

So for that very reason you don't protect them. Almanzar ended up going back to Boston without playing a single game on the major league roster.

And there are only so many roster spots, you can't use them all. This is where calling up Walker semi backfires.

Maybe my last statement isn't true:

So there are 44 players on the 40 man roster, disabled list, and restricted list.

Andrew Miller, Johan Santana, Joe Saunders, Alexi Casilla, Kelly Johnson, Delmon Young, and Nelson Cruz will be free agents. Nick Hundley and Nick Markakis have player options that will most likely be bought out. That would give 3-5 roster spots (after the 4 extras are accounted for).

Brian Matusz, Tommy Hunter, and Alejandro De Aza are non-tender or trade candidates.

Quintin Berry, Steve Johnson, Henry Urrutia, Steve Lombardozzi, and Evan Meek are DFA candidates.

Ryan Webb is a trade candidate.

Didn't realize we actually had so much wriggle room on the roster.

Seems the team might have between 5-10 roster spots to work with this off-season.

Almanzar was younger than Esposito and had a full year in AA. Glynn Davis is not a prolific basestealer and his upside is probably 4th outfielder. Why does a team take a hit in 2015 on a player who won't help much, so they can have 4th OF down the road? Makes no sense.

Esposito is showing a late bloom of some type. A guy who plays gold glove d at third in the Milb could make a team as a Flaherty type. Or not. Hey I'm always wrong on this stuff.

Esposito is showing a late bloom of some type. A guy who plays gold glove d at third in the Milb could make a team as a Flaherty type. Or not. Hey I'm always wrong on this stuff.

IIRC, Flaherty was taken because he had some pop as well. Esposito just started hitting minor league pitching this year. I doubt someone would take him for defense only. Defense + .100 OBP aren't very useful.

Is Esposito actually Rule V eligible? Although he was drafted in 11, he didn't suit up for a full season affiliate and was never added to a roster so I believe that his clock didn't begin until 2012, which would give him three years of service, short of the four needed for college players.

Is Esposito actually Rule V eligible? Although he was drafted in 11, he didn't suit up for a full season affiliate and was never added to a roster so I believe that his clock didn't begin until 2012, which would give him three years of service, short of the four needed for college players.

Great info. Thanks

This is a very good question. IIRC, Rule 5 eligibility is tied to draft status, while minor league free agency is tied to actual service time. I believe that is how Josh Hamilton was Rule 5 eligible with little minor league experience. Of course the rules have been revised since then so it is possible something was changed.

This is a very good question. IIRC, Rule 5 eligibility is tied to draft status, while minor league free agency is tied to actual service time. I believe that is how Josh Hamilton was Rule 5 eligible with little minor league experience. Of course the rules have been revised since then so it is possible something was changed.

My mistake. Looked into it further. Esposito is eligible. Any HS player taken in 2010 or earlier and any college player taken in 2011 or earlier has to be protected or is exposed.

Archived