Cruz Extension Next?

SticksandStones

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why are you putting words in my mouth? Davis cheated twice, Pearce won't want nearly as much money, and Walker is almost ready.

I am not putting words in your mouth. I am presuming you want to win next year. Accordingly, you want as many good players as possible. To me, the upside of Davis for next year would be worth the risk.

I agree with this 100%. He'd be nuts not to wait, but at the same time, I hope we're both wrong.

He's 34... he's made big money. If he wants to win, he'd be foolish to leave an ALCS team for the gamble that another team will get there ahead of the Orioles. It all depends on what his mindset is. If it's about winning, why would he go elsewhere?

Last year he wanted 4/75. I doubt you get him for 3/36 after the year that he had.

He didn't get that last year and he won't get it this year. He likes playing for the Orioles and he knows that if he gets a QO he will be hard pressed to find a team that will give up a first round pick for him. I could be wrong, but I could be right.

I'm with you. Why can't we bring everyone back? If we give Davis an arb offer, he, De Aza, Wieters, and Pearce will all be on one-year deals. Minor bump in payroll for one year is worth having a relative embarrassment of riches.

Makes me wonder if 'window' talk is going on upstairs? Keeping the offense in tact for one more year and going for it was worth a couple more years on the deals of Cruz and Hardy. If we can get them both we will have a STRONG team going in next year.

He didn't get that last year and he won't get it this year. He likes playing for the Orioles and he knows that if he gets a QO he will be hard pressed to find a team that will give up a first round pick for him. I could be wrong, but I could be right.

After the year he had, I don't think the QO really matters. With how much power has gone down in the game, teams will pay a premium for power. I expect he'll get like a 3 years/50 million dollar contract on the market if he gets that far.

He's 34... he's made big money. If he wants to win, he'd be foolish to leave an ALCS team for the gamble that another team will get there ahead of the Orioles. It all depends on what his mindset is. If it's about winning, why would he go elsewhere?

He hasn't made big money. Last year was his first time being a free agent. His next long term contract is likely his last. I doubt you get him on the cheap.

After the year he had, I don't think the QO really matters. With how much power has gone down in the game, teams will pay a premium for power. I expect he'll get like a 3 years/50 million dollar contract on the market if he gets that far.

If he gets that, we'll get a draft pick.

If we somehow get Cruz back, our lineup next year would have significant potential. Basically you'd have the ALCS team (and possible pennant winners) PLUS Machado, Davis (to some extent -though he was around much of the year), and Wieters. That leaves Markakis, but even without him, it's not unreasonable to think that De Aza, Pearce, Lough, and possibly Alvarez could hold down the corner OF spots, plus Cruz out there some.

I believe the entire pitching staff would potentially be back as well, other than Miller (not sure of some of the relievers contract situations).

Now if we can get some position player help down on the farm the next couple/few years while this is going on, we could really be in for a nice long sustained run! Exciting times.

He hasn't made big money. Last year was his first time being a free agent. His next long term contract is likely his last. I doubt you get him on the cheap.

This is correct. He and Pearce basically have the same career path as far as service is concerned.

Archived