Orioles working on Markakis extension as well

xian4

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Such is a DH. If Buck is going to constantly demand a DH that can/should be playing the field' date=' we are going to have very few DH options in our future.[/quote']

I'm not sure why that would be the case. Acquire more depth that deserve regular ABs and rotate them through using the DH spot to give guys rest.

I'm not sure why that would be the case. Acquire more depth that deserve regular ABs and rotate them through using the DH spot to give guys rest.

But that generally means you're playing a bat at DH that isn't an ideal "DH." I don't want Lough, De Aza, and Markakis rotating between the corner outfield spots and DH.

What about Pearce, Wieters, Davis, and Young?

Pearce is fine at DH assuming his bat keeps up with this level. Davis is fine. Wieters is borderline as in every one in a while DH. Young is such a bad fielder, he should be a DH or strictly a pinch hitter.

But my point was not necessarily next year, but going forward. It's difficult to have a team filled with players whose bat can play at DH, and can also play the field. It's easier to find a big bat that can't play the field.

Yesterday on MLB radio, Jim Bowden was saying 12-14 million per year for three years for Markakis. He would offer him the 17.5 option if the deal wasn't done.

On the Cruz issue, I've heard that Butler does not hit nearly as well when DHing as when in the field. Actually if Cruz goes I'm in favor of Wieters doing half the DHing in a three catcher roster. The almost apology from ESPN noted how much catching had improved this year by some formula or other. So let Wieters become the power bat we thought he would be by having him catch less.

Why would anyone want a replacement-level full time DH?

Detroit, Baltimore, Boston, and Toronto were the only AL teams to get positive Wins Above Average from the DH spot this season. For a couple million dollar why wouldn't Texas, or Minnesota, or Seattle take a shot at Delmon Young?

Detroit, Baltimore, Boston, and Toronto were the only AL teams to get positive Wins Above Average from the DH spot this season. For a couple million dollar why wouldn't Texas, or Minnesota, or Seattle take a shot at Delmon Young?

They might, but not as a full-time player. He has a career OPS against righties that's below average. So 2/3rds of the time they'd be playing a sub-replacement DH.

Peter getting his checkbook out!!!!!

Is this rare to be talking about contracts in the middle of the playoffs? I don't remember any big names signing contracts in the middle of a run but maybe it's just because the O's haven't had been in this situation.

Maybe Peter is in a good mood and has told DD to sign the players he considers core to the team. Plus Angelos likes Markakis so there was never any doubt in my mind that the Os would at least pick up his option.

Is it a crazy idea to let Cruz go and re-sign Markakis and Young, and make Young the most-of-the-time DH? (And have money leftover.) Of course, you've also got Pearce and De Aza in LF since Davis will be at 1B... So, just rotate Young, Pearce, and De Aza between LF and DH? I mean, Cruz has been the difference maker this year... but an aging DH coming off a career year isn't a great bet for something like a 4/80 contract.

Is it a crazy idea to let Cruz go and re-sign Markakis and Young, and make Young the most-of-the-time DH? (And have money leftover.) Of course, you've also got Pearce and De Aza in LF since Davis will be at 1B... So, just rotate Young, Pearce, and De Aza between LF and DH? I mean, Cruz has been the difference maker this year... but an aging DH coming off a career year isn't a great bet for something like a 4/80 contract.

I think they could get reasonble production out of a Young platoon with some left-handed hitter. Probably not 2014 Nelson Cruz production, but it will be a lot cheaper, and odds are strong that 2015 Nelson Cruz won't give you 2014 production.

Archived