Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

Someone already pointed out that the Orioles had a great September without him.
Some folks are convinced that Nick would have made the difference in NY.

Maybe he would have.

And here I thought they had De Aza and Lough in hand.

I also don't care about him being a "know talent" when what is known about his talent is that he is now a below average player.

I don't care about how he fits in the clubhouse.

I don't care about his ability to work the count when his approach leads 729 OPS.

In fact I am past worrying about P/PA. With bullpens evolving as they are why in the world do you want the other team to go to the pen? You are more likely to score off a starter the third time through the lineup then you are the pen.

Thats the difference between yourself and Buck/DD.

Buck and DD put a very large emphasis on clubhouse character.

And since what they are doing, appears to be working, and the team is improving, then I am willing to allow them to work their magic.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lough hitting numbers are meaningless compared to Nick's. One player plays everyday and deals with getting worn down as the season goes along and Lough hardly played at all after June. Lough is a cheap option that we should keep and can always fill in due to injury of if the LF situation is a mess. I just don't want to count on him.

You did what I recently did. He isn't comparing 2014 to 2014. He is comparing 2014 to 2013.

Lough has also produced more value then Nick over the last two seasons.

And since what they are doing, appears to be working, and the team is improving, then I am willing to allow them to work their magic.

Patton.

Krod.

Young.

Obviously the O's are wary of guys with character issues.

:rolleyes:

I also don't care about him being a "know talent" when what is known about his talent is that he is now a below average player.

I don't care about his ability to work the count when his approach leads 729 OPS.

In fact I am past worrying about P/PA. With bullpens evolving as they are why in the world do you want the other team to go to the pen? You are more likely to score off a starter the third time through the lineup then you are the pen.

As far as P/PA goes, I still think it's important over the course of a regular season. In the playoffs, not so much. But would the Royals', or Orioles', bullpen been as effective if they are called upon night after night. Chasing the starter early will do one of two things, log more innings for your Millers, Wades, etc, or expose your 6th and 7th guys more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's doesn't make baseball sense to sign Markakis. Seems like majority of posters agree. Unfortunately the sentiment is that we sign him anyway. I hate life time achievement awards that tie up a roster spot with a replacement or slightly below replacement level player for multiple years.

DeAza is LF. Lough is a backup. I get a kick out of the idea that a player in limited playing time produces at a certain level and it is automatic that if he plays everyday that production will be consistent.

You think right now he a below average player?

Patton.

Krod.

Young.

Obviously the O's are wary of guys with character issues.

:rolleyes:

2 of those 3 are no longer with the team.

Young had a problem, off the field and out-side of baseball.

Everything I heard was, he was a model citizen in the Orioles clubhouse and fit in with the rest of the team.

Some folks are convinced that Nick would have made the difference in NY.

Maybe he would have.

That was two years ago, when he was OPSing .834, and when he went down Davis moved to OF and we had Thome/Lew Ford at DH. Massive difference between 2012 Nick + Davis vs Davis + Thome/Ford, whereas the difference between 2014 Nick and De Aza/Lough is negligible.

As far as P/PA goes, I still think it's important over the course of a regular season. In the playoffs, not so much. But would the Royals', or Orioles', bullpen been as effective if they are called upon night after night. Chasing the starter early will do one of two things, log more innings for your Millers, Wades, etc, or expose your 6th and 7th guys more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with working the count in the regular season is a lot of times it helps the next team playing the team you worked over.

2 of those 3 are no longer with the team.

Young had a problem, off the field and out-side of baseball.

Everything I heard was, he was a model citizen in the Orioles clubhouse and fit in with the rest of the team.

I agree there were no known issues with Young. He was not however considered a model citizen before last year.

Patton had a drunk driving incident, and his odd injury with no known repercussions. It was only after a third strike, his PED suspension, that the O's cut bait.

I'm not sure about DD, but Buck seems to. Buck likes "his guys." Of course if Buck had his way Jim Johnson and Taylor Teagarden would still be on the team.

DeAza is LF. Lough is a backup. I get a kick out of the idea that a player in limited playing time produces at a certain level and it is automatic that if he plays everyday that production will be consistent.

You think right now he a below average player?

Nick?

5.8 WAR over the last four seasons says he is.

Folks think Nick is still a 18 HR/44 2B guy. He isn't. His decline in doubles severely limits his offensive game.

Lough hitting numbers are meaningless compared to Nick's. One player plays everyday and deals with getting worn down as the season goes along and Lough hardly played at all after June. Lough is a cheap option that we should keep and can always fill in due to injury of if the LF situation is a mess. I just don't want to count on him.

But Markakis doesn't really deal with the everyday grind and getting worn day "effectively." He's barely passable as an MLB starter. So of what value is his everyday play?

Archived