Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

Let me get this straight. As a closer, he could take the 15.3 million for one year??? And then he would be a free agent again? Man, if he doesn't sign that, his agent should be shot.

Strictly my opinion. I think he wants to be Papelbon. And he is afraid of becoming Jim Johnson.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>requiring decisions on qualifying offers by nov. 10 is like having the trade deadline be april 10</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

">November 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Been talking with Scott Boras?

Liriano has made just over $19 mil in his entire career. I'm not sure it makes much sense for him to sit out 1/2 a year to shed the draft pick when he can nearly double his career earnings right now but as Weams always points out no one has taken it yet.

So let's see. Not taking the QO last year cost Drew about 4 million (he signed for the remaining 10 of the 14.1 QO from the Red Sox). And it cost Morales about 6 million. And, of course, Cruz who it cost 6.1 million. So for three players only, they left over 16 million dollars on the table in 2014. Hmmm...I think some players will take the QOs this year.

Very small chance they sign Cruz.

I think it would be in the best interest of Cuddyer, Santana and Robertson to accept.

Liriano could be in for a wait.

I'd like to see every player offered a QO accept it. A free agency period without the big money free agents on the market would make the hot stove a lot cooler. That might give the owners a reason to address changing the system.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>requiring decisions on qualifying offers by nov. 10 is like having the trade deadline be april 10</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="
">November 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Been talking with Scott Boras?

The decision has to be pretty quick, because otherwise the teams that have QO's outstanding can't make other moves to replace the players to whom they gave offers, or they'll be at risk of overcommitting.

I'd like to see every player offered a QO accept it. A free agency period without the big money free agents on the market would make the hot stove a lot cooler. That might give the owners a reason to address changing the system.

The owners would sue claiming collusion.

The union can collude with the players right?

Anyway I think the current system is pretty fair. It is a lot better then the old one where middle relievers would cost picks and teams could trade for pieces at the deadline then flip them for picks.

Anyway I think the current system is pretty fair. It is a lot better then the old one where middle relievers would cost picks and teams could trade for pieces at the deadline then flip them for picks.

It is a 1000% better this way.

Let me get this straight. As a closer, he could take the 15.3 million for one year??? And then he would be a free agent again? Man, if he doesn't sign that, his agent should be shot.

He could be offered the Q.O. each year indefinitely as far as I know.

I think they should let the players be free agents and compensation be damned. Whether or not the teams need it is questionable, but it really is a burden on the older free agents.

If they need a compensation system, just allow compensation picks at the ends of certain rounds for any contract with a total value of $xxx. Let the AAV determine the round of compensation. For example, the top 5 AAV signings result in the former team getting a pick after the first round. Keep going by fives for the first five rounds (top 25 AAV).

Nick has more negotiating power and Cruz has less. Maybe we look to Cruz more at this point. I think we should have gambled and QO'd Nick.

Cruz will just fine even with the pick tied to him.

I think they should let the players be free agents and compensation be damned. Whether or not the teams need it is questionable, but it really is a burden on the older free agents.

If they need a compensation system, just allow compensation picks at the ends of certain rounds for any contract with a total value of $xxx. Let the AAV determine the round of compensation. For example, the top 5 AAV signings result in the former team getting a pick after the first round. Keep going by fives for the first five rounds (top 25 AAV).

The compensation system is because without, the Yankees get all of the Free Agents. Not just most of them. And Mid-Small market teams get nothing back.

Archived