Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's arguable as to whether signing Markakis to a four year deal is the best way to "win it now".

Sure its arguable but its what Dan and Buck appear to be trying to do. There track record is pretty good. There are over 1300 posts arguing the topic and it doesn't change the fact that Dan and Buck have the power. They appear to think having Nick back is the preferred path for the O's.

I just find it amusing that he is so centered on Lough's OBP when they have Schoop, Hardy and Jones starting.

I guess a 310 OBP is his magical cutoff point.

Hardy and Jones bring way more to the table then Lough. Schoop...Eh. He has pop and plays pretty good defensively.

Sure its arguable but its what Dan and Buck appear to be trying to do.

You say that is what it means. I do not think the evidence is there for that thought. I suspect it means something. Just not necessarily that. Secondarily, do you have any real evidence that Buck is shaping the targets or negotiations in any way?

I also find irony in the fact that predictably every game thread is inundated with whining about how we never take pitches, can't walk, can't guys on base for the boppers and yet people seem so eager to run one of the few guys who can do that stuff out of town ...

But it's all about production. In game threads, people complain about that because a lack of approach and OBP hurts the O's production. If they all maintained a .340 OBP and .800 OPS by swinging at every pitch, nobody would care. They complain about the means, because they believe it hurts the end goal. The complaining about Markakis is the same thing, the end goal. Which is a lack of production.

What does striking out have to do with having a great approach?

If Lough's 308 OBP is a problem what about Schoop? Hardy is at 312 for his career, should the O's replace him? Jones was at 311 last year, should we trade him?

If a 308 OBP is a problem for you the O's must be a hard team for you to watch.

Ummm AJ hits HR's if Lough develops into a guy who can hit 30 HR's I will be happy to watch him get on base at a .308 clip ...think there is a better chance Nick transforms into Ricky Henderson though.

Schoop is a 2B and frankly we have no better options, if Lough could play 2B then I would be happy to consider him in that mix but he does not.

Your making my argument for me, the fact we will likely have to play those two guys who do not get on base at a high clip only makes Nicks ability to get on base all the more valuable. Not sure why we would want to add another guy who has not demonstrated that ability to the mix but to each their own.

Last but not least, yes this team needs guys who get on base, Nick does that. Not only that but he has been asked to bat in a role he not suited to (leadoff) for several seasons and has done so pretty admirably IMO given his limitations. He get on base which you want a leadoff guy to do, he takes pitches .....he cant make up for his lack of speed I grant you but everything else asked of him he has done pretty well. Put him in the two hole after a real leadoff guy and maybe you might see him hit more than just singles.

Just cause I dont think Lough is a starter does not mean I think he a hack either. In the right role, he can be a productive and very useful member of a very good team. I just disagree with your thought process as to what that role should be. My guess is that DD, Buck and the rest of the Orioles scouts do also or bring back Nick or trading for another OF would not be an issue to discuss or have been discussed by the team. We would be contemplating how Lough will do as a starter.

You say that is what it means. I do not think the evidence is there for that thought. I suspect it means something. Just not necessarily that. Secondarily, do you have any real evidence that Buck is shaping the targets or negotiations in any way?

Strange question coming from you. I thought you were a pretty strong supporter of the idea that Dan and Buck work well as a team.

He was referencing P/PA and approach. Mark is frankly better at Nick in those two areas.

I do not consider striking out 200+ times a good approach. That's just me though.

Yea Mark could draw a walk, so can Nick, the difference is what they do when they can't. Mark was a K with 30 or so HR's mixed in. Nick can actually get on base with singles etc.... Singles have value if there are guys who can drive those guys who hit them in

Strange question coming from you. I thought you were a pretty strong supporter of the idea that Dan and Buck work well as a team.

I do believe they work well. Do you think Duck is doing Dan's job right now though? I am sure Buck had some requests and hope for the off season. Do you think that Buck has the final say though? I don't. What reliever to pitch in the eighth? Yes. What reliever to bring up from AA. sure. Sometimes. What the character of an extended negotiation is with a potential free agent? The nuances? I think not at all.

Archived