Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

Really?

Reynold batted .196 with a .681 OPS and a .287 OBP

Markakis .276/.342/.729 ......how does that work out to .04 better last year?

.681 plus .04 equal .721 Pretty close. Ok .05 would be better. The OBP is irrelevant. Especially in this conversation.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if any of these numbers we're seeing include the 2 mil buyout? I'm gessing they don't and that is separate. According to Frobby Nick had a mutual option so (in theory) could have declined it and saved us the 2 mil buyout. The QO should have been the way to go imo

I was adding the buyout to the totals I have seen.

I do believe they work well. Do you think Duck is doing Dan's job right now though? I am sure Buck had some requests and hope for the off season. Do you think that Buck has the final say though? I don't. What reliever to pitch in the eighth? Yes. What reliever to bring up from AA. sure. Sometimes. What the character of an extended negotiation is with a potential free agent? The nuances? I think not at all.

I doubt there are too many moves made that Buck is not in favor of. DD has his network of scouts. His contacts with other GMs. Buck see all of the intelligence and weighs in on all of it. Buck has his network also. They are a team. Dan leads the acquisitions but Buck is right there with Dan in daily conversations.

I doubt there are too many moves made that Buck is not in favor of. DD has his network of scouts. His contacts with other GMs. Buck see all of the intelligence and weighs in on all of it. Buck has his network also. They are a team. Dan leads the acquisitions but Buck is right there with Dan in daily conversations.

You think Dan checks with him to see if he is?

He was referencing P/PA and approach. Mark is frankly better at Nick in those two areas.

Interesting how we have a couple people on here going on about the dumb stat people who can't recognize Nicks value are the same ones going on about how Reynolds swung at bad pitches during his tenure here.

WTH does striking out have to do with having a great approach?

Player A never strikes out because he takes a weak, defensive swing at every pitch he sees within 4 inches of the strikezone. Does he have a good approach?

Player B never swings at a pitch out of the strikezone and until he has two strikes doesn't swing at strikes he doesn't think he can drive. His poor contact skills still have him striking out 200 times a season. Does he have a good approach?

K totals are not a good indicator, at all, of approach at the plate.

Look at the stats I just posted for last season for both players....that tells me all i have to know about their respective approaches.

I don't get the whole anti-Nick thing to be honest. People on here are so wrapped up with trying to be the Tampa Bay Rays and save Uncle Petes money with bargain basement solutions rather than going with the superior player. Frankly I really could care less about Pete's money. I don't want this team paying Hamilton, Pujols silly money to a guy so we have that kind of dead money but if 10 million in year 4 of a Markakis deal is what sinks this team in 4 years....well we got bigger problems than just that. I am not advocating spending silly money for a one off chance. Its a reasonable cost 8-11 million that give you a better chance of winning now and not one that should sink a team of this organizations resources.

I do not think they are a GM team. At all.

.681 plus .04 equal .721 Pretty close. Ok .05 would be better. The OBP is irrelevant. Especially in this conversation.

So you think a .681 and .721 OPS are close? Interesting.

How is OBP irrelevant? So now guys who bat at the top of the order OBP does not matter?

One is a leadoff hitter the other is supposed to be a power hitter but ya they are real close talent wise....makes sense me...sigh.

Look at the stats I just posted for last season for both players....that tells me all i have to know about their respective approaches.

I don't get the whole anti-Nick thing to be honest. People on here are so wrapped up with trying to be the Tampa Bay Rays and save Uncle Petes money with bargain basement solutions rather than going with the superior player. Frankly I really could care less about Pete's money. I don't want this team paying Hamilton, Pujols silly money to a guy so we have that kind of dead money but if 10 million in year 4 of a Markakis deal is what sinks this team in 4 years....well we got bigger problems than just that. I am not advocating spending silly money for a one off chance. Its a reasonable cost 8-11 million that give you a better chance of winning now and not one that should sink a team of this organizations resources.

There really isn't an anti-Markakis thing. It's not like we are all a bunch of Ottoman Turks that don't want that Greek b*stard on this team. There just aren't many reasons to bring him back that level of production at that price.

Archived