Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First Base and Catcher fix themselves.

Second is set. Left and Right.

I think Schoop will have a great year in 2015. Nick is going to be in right field. Davis and Wieters will be first base and catcher. Manny will add production if healthy. So, really, it is whether left is "left" to DeAza, Lough, Pearce, Alvarez combination or we do something else. I don't see it as a problem. I think pitching, pitching, pitching is the key. Offensively and defensively we will be plenty good.

I'd rather pay Nick Markakis 4/48 than Russell Martin 5/82. I'm not sure any of us are in a position to say what Markakis is worth when we don't really know the revenue situation or the payroll flexibility.

Agreed. Everyone is getting up in arms and no one knows the details. Markakis for 3/36 is a fair deal. Which is what I think is closer to what Nick will get rather then 4/48. If a 4th year is included, it will be an option.

I'd rather pay Nick Markakis 4/48 than Russell Martin 5/82. I'm not sure any of us are in a position to say what Markakis is worth when we don't really know the revenue situation or the payroll flexibility.

What do those things have to do with Markakis' worth? His level of production is only worth so much. Payroll flexibility and revenue only factor in to whether the O's can afford to pay for it, but it doesn't make what he does worth anymore.

What do those things have to do with Markakis' worth? His level of production is only worth so much. Payroll flexibility and revenue only factor in to whether the O's can afford to pay for it' date=' but it doesn't make what he does worth anymore.[/quote']

It does since some suggest signing Markakis would limit their ability to improve elsewhere.

Archived