MLB.com: Dan, The Savvy New Age Executive

weams

http://m.orioles.mlb.com/news/article/101122302/anthony-castrovince-dan-duquette-a-savvy-new-age-executive

I'd argue the concept of this sort of award is increasingly significant at a time when the margin between contenders and non-contenders is razor thin. It is difficult, if not impossible, to simply buy yourself a title in today's game, which means only the smart will survive. And Duquette is as intelligent as they come
I see a lot of parallels between Sabean's structure and the one Duquette has built in Baltimore, and those parallels tell us a little something about survival in today's game. It's not all analytics, and (contrary to what some might think of the Giants, who have a full analytics department and contract multiple firms for the best available data) it's not all scouts spitting into a cup, either.

It's a blend of both worlds that has allowed both teams to create a winning culture and then augment it with good Draft picks and undervalued assets.

That's what it takes to win in 2014. And that's what it will take to win in '15, too.

This was a good read. I think DD really is the perfect GM for this club, and is hugely responsible for getting us to where we are at this point. I know I like to discuss what moves I think the Orioles should/shouldn't make, but really I trust DD's judgment at the end of the day. I feel much more comfortable with him than any other O's GM in the past.

This was a good read. I think DD really is the perfect GM for this club, and is hugely responsible for getting us to where we are at this point. I know I like to discuss what moves I think the Orioles should/shouldn't make, but really I trust DD's judgment at the end of the day. I feel much more comfortable with him than any other O's GM in the past.

He is a brilliant man. We can debate his moves. But it would be hard to out think him.

By the time it was the All-Star break, the O’s were four games up on the Toronto Blue Jays. Two weeks later, the trade deadline approached and Baltimore had found that their lead had dwindled to just a game and a half. The Orioles were doing good, not great, but were doing well enough. They were riding a starting rotation that was winning, but averaging just under six innings pitched per game. Duquette was at a crossroads: bolster his already stellar bullpen or blow up the future by sending top-pitching prospects Dylan Bundy and Hunter Harvey for a top of the line ace. Duquette chose the latter.

Duquette traded for Andrew Miller, a 6’7″ starting pitcher turned reliever. This move proved to be the biggest move of the season as the Orioles rode their bullpen, watching their AL-East lead go from a game and a half to nine in just three short weeks.

Bright, bright man.

Ive been saying this for years. Moneyball over-simplified this game and made it seem like any actuary with an internet connection could build a winning franchise. Thats complete bs, of course. Analytics is one tool. How important can be debated but human behavior is a complicated thing indeed.

Ive been saying this for years. Moneyball over-simplified this game and made it seem like any actuary with an internet connection could build a winning franchise. Thats complete bs, of course. Analytics is one tool. How important can be debated but human behavior is a complicated thing indeed.

Yep, and I think that's a reason Duquette relies heavily on scouting in addition to his analytics.

Bright, bright man.

Yeah, too bad the guy that wrote the article is not so bright. Knowing the difference between LATTER and FORMER is probably pretty important in that writing profession.

"Duquette was at a crossroads: bolster his already stellar bullpen or blow up the future by sending top-pitching prospects Dylan Bundy and Hunter Harvey for a top of the line ace. Duquette chose the latter.

Duquette traded for Andrew Miller, a 6’7″ starting pitcher turned reliever. This move proved to be the biggest move of the season as the Orioles rode their bullpen, watching their AL-East lead go from a game and a half to nine in just three short weeks.

Yeah, too bad the guy that wrote the article is not so bright. Knowing the difference between LATTER and FORMER is probably pretty important in that writing profession.

"Duquette was at a crossroads: bolster his already stellar bullpen or blow up the future by sending top-pitching prospects Dylan Bundy and Hunter Harvey for a top of the line ace. Duquette chose the latter.

Good pick up.

After seeing the turnaround he engineered here makes me ask why he was without a job for so long. He came in 2012 and helped us become instantly competitive with short term moves while still working on long term solutions.

He was blacklisted after his less than polite exit. John Henry was everyone's 2004+ Owner. He wanted a team president job, and held out for that for quite a while. Then only considered GM jobs. And as Adam say, he is awkward. He is not a guy who struts his stuff in the media. It matters when you are outside the only 30 jobs like this in the world.

Archived