Norris may be on the block now

isestrex

Bud Norris is fair candidate for a QO after 2015 for what it's worth. I think he can bring back someone significant. It makes no sense for other teams to give up a better pitcher for Norris. But the Orioles could definitely find a good young OF.

I like the Jon Jay idea at first, but the Cards just gave up Shelby Miller for Heyward with the idea that they have enough depth at SP (one of the few teams in the league that can make that claim). I imagine they want to keep all four OF. Really they can sit on their butts for the rest of the off season, they're good to go. They could use a little bullpen help, that's it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The correct time to sell Norris is now. This is his last year before FA, and I can't imagine we will be willing to pay him a fair market deal, assuming he replicates his 2014 performance or improves upon it.

We should try to get something for him. Obviously if you can move Ubaldo that's even better, and it eliminates the need to trade a SP since you'll be back down to 5 guys for 5 spots.

I'm not convinced that we should trade any SPs at this time. I would wait at least until ST or into May. I say this because it's almost inevitable that someone in our rotation will get injured.

Unless of course we could get Clayton Kershaw or Mike Trout in return. :rofl:

I'm not convinced that we should trade any SPs at this time. I would wait at least until ST or into May. I say this because it's almost inevitable that someone in our rotation will get injured.

Unless of course we could get Clayton Kershaw or Mike Trout in return. :rofl:

Or someone else on another team goes down and end up overpaying for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you think Dan will bump it past 124 million to start 2015?

I think this is excellent point. Trading Norris could be all about the budget.

The O's payroll minus 4.25m/yr in deferred money for Hardy and Jimenez is about 108m.

108m current payroll with signed, arbitration and 0-3 year players

+ 8m for Nick plus 2m/yr deferred

+13m for Cruz plus 2m/yr deferred

129m subtotal

-8.7m for Norris

120.3m total

Dan may have a budget number to hit and that is why he needs to do a salary dump of Jimenez or failing that move Norris for cheap players.

So the trigger for trading Norris may be if Markakis and Cruz both sign with the O's.

I think this is excellent point. Trading Norris could be all about the budget.

The O's payroll minus 4.25m/yr in deferred money for Hardy and Jimenez is about 108m.

108m current payroll with signed, arbitration and 0-3 year players

+ 8m for Nick plus 2m/yr deferred

+13m for Cruz plus 2m/yr deferred

129m subtotal

-8.7m for Norris

120.3m total

Dan may have a budget number to hit and that is why he needs to do a salary dump of Jimenez or failing that move Norris for cheap players.

So the trigger for trading Norris may be if Markakis and Cruz both sign with the O's.

Yeah, but the timing is great to trade Norris. He will have value to several teams. Duquette, a pretty sharp guy himself, went after Norris, after all. He thought he could be a serviceable starter, and he was right. Before this past season started, I was convinced Norris wouldn't even last in the Orioles rotation past the summer, and I turned out to be very wrong.

After seeing Norris put together a solid season and help take the Orioles to the playoffs, I'm sure some other team in desperate need of starting pitching would give up something of value for him. Call it selling high or whatever you want, but it would be smart to listen to offers on Norris and see what we might be able to get for him.

You could be right about the budgetary aspect. But instead that being a primary motive for pursuing a trade, I think it's more of an added bonus. If the Orioles can get good value and make themselves better over the next 2-5+ seasons as a result, Norris should be traded.

Archived