Norris may be on the block now

isestrex

Chen and Jimenez are to guys that I don't see has long term Orioles. That leaves four starters in Gausman, Tillman Gonzo and Norris. Bundy hopefully is the fifth starter in 2016.

So if Dan can trade Norris for a better starter then fine. But otherwise I would try to extend him.

I agree mostly. Trade for prospects and salary reflief or extend for long term commitment, but don't let him walk with nothing back.

However, I lean toward trading. He is at peak value now coming off a career year. The numbers say he is unlikely to replicate the year he had. We have four other guys who are every bit as good. Ubaldo is due to bounce back at least some, and then there is the possibility of Bundy on the horizon. I think our rotation can get by without Bud, then we can use the salary relief to fill DH, RF, and LOOGY. Recall that we traded Erik Bedard at a similar point in his career and got back Adam Jones and Chris Tillman. If we can get half as a good a return for Buck it will be worth it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe it is foolish to depend on the good injury luck we recieved last year to continue. It is rare indeed for a team to finish the year with the same rotation that it started the year. Unless we have a major league capable starter somewhere in the minors, I say leave the starting pitching alone. All Nick, Cruz and Miller will cost is money. Why trade a major league starter when we can simply bump up the payroll?

With 1 year left of team control, the Jason Vargas was traded to the Angels for 1 year of Kendrys Morales. IIRC, the Angels had just signed Pujols and wanted to plug their young guy, Mark Trumbo, at DH.

Bud Norris could probably get us a similar return. Ike Davis, Drew Stubbs, Daniel Murphy, Michael Saunders, Logan Morrison, Gerardo Parra, and Jon Jay would all be good options to pursue.

Ike Davis is projected to make $4.4M this year, and has 2 years before free agency. He could slot in at DH, but he can't hit lefties at all. Like at all. .813 career vs RHPs and .577 vs LHPs. He's been talked about as a non-tender candidate, since he hasn't hit for power in a few years now and can't really field. Valley Fever still, perhaps?

Drew Stubbs is projected to make $5.7M this year, and will hit free agency afterwards. Rockies have CarGo, Blackmon, and Dickerson for their OF already. Stubbs has only really played CF though.

Jon Jay is projected to make $4.5 this year, and has 2 years of team control left. The O's would have to throw in more than Norris here, and the Cards don't need SP that badly but they can't keep him, Heyward, Bourjos, and Holliday.

We've already been over Michael Saunders a bunch. He'd be a good get, only projected to make $2.9M this year and has 2 years of team control left. Logan Morrison is in the exact same situation. I think he's a good player. If the Mariners get a big free agent, one of these guys could shake loose.

Gerardo Parra is projected to make $6.4M. Great RF, one of the strongest arms in baseball, and the Brewers have Braun, Gomez, and Khris Davis in the OF too. Coming off a down year, and he'd have to be platooned. Can not hit lefties. .758 career vs RHPs and .587 vs LHPs.

Daniel Murphy is a good player, and has one year projected at $8.3M left. He doesn't really fit with this team though, since we have a 1B and a 2B and he doesn't hit well enough to DH.

Bud Norris for Gerardo Parra, Michael Saunders, or Logan Morrison would be okay with me. I don't like Ike Davis or Daniel Murphy for this team. I'd do Bud Norris and Christian Walker for Jon Jay.

With 1 year left of team control, the Jason Vargas was traded to the Angels for 1 year of Kendrys Morales. IIRC, the Angels had just signed Pujols and wanted to plug their young guy, Mark Trumbo, at DH.

Bud Norris could probably get us a similar return. Ike Davis, Drew Stubbs, Daniel Murphy, Michael Saunders, Logan Morrison, Gerardo Parra, and Jon Jay would all be terrible options to pursue.

Ike Davis is projected to make $4.4M this year, and has 2 years before free agency. He could slot in at DH, but he can't hit lefties at all. Like at all. .813 career vs RHPs and .577 vs LHPs. He's been talked about as a non-tender candidate, since he hasn't hit for power in a few years now and can't really field. Valley Fever still, perhaps?

Drew Stubbs is projected to make $5.7M this year, and will hit free agency afterwards. Rockies have CarGo, Blackmon, and Dickerson for their OF already. Stubbs has only really played CF though.

Jon Jay is projected to make $4.5 this year, and has 2 years of team control left. The O's would have to throw in more than Norris here, and the Cards don't need SP that badly but they can't keep him, Heyward, Bourjos, and Holliday.

We've already been over Michael Saunders a bunch. He'd be a good get, only projected to make $2.9M this year and has 2 years of team control left. Logan Morrison is in the exact same situation. I think he's a good player. If the Mariners get a big free agent, one of these guys could shake loose.

Gerardo Parra is projected to make $6.4M. Great RF, one of the strongest arms in baseball, and the Brewers have Braun, Gomez, and Khris Davis in the OF too. Coming off a down year, and he'd have to be platooned. Can not hit lefties. .758 career vs RHPs and .587 vs LHPs.

Daniel Murphy is a good player, and has one year projected at $8.3M left. He doesn't really fit with this team though, since we have a 1B and a 2B and he doesn't hit well enough to DH.

Bud Norris for Gerardo Parra, Michael Saunders, or Logan Morrison would be okay with me. I don't like Ike Davis or Daniel Murphy for this team. I'd do Bud Norris and Christian Walker for Jon Jay.

FTFY.

If Norris can't bring back real talent, keep him.

I believe it is foolish to depend on the good injury luck we recieved last year to continue. It is rare indeed for a team to finish the year with the same rotation that it started the year. Unless we have a major league capable starter somewhere in the minors, I say leave the starting pitching alone. All Nick, Cruz and Miller will cost is money. Why trade a major league starter when we can simply bump up the payroll?

Do you think Dan will bump it past 124 million to start 2015?

As of right now we have no LF,RF and DH. Pearce and De Aza both have 1 year deals left. With Davis and MW being FA's next year. With Young, Cruz and Markakis FA's right now. That's a lot of people to replace. We probably aren't going to lose all of them, but this is the reason to see what we can get for Norris. DD could trade 1 year of Norris for a multi year solution at one of the empty spots.

De Aza and Pearce may not just be with the O's for 1 year.

I agree mostly. Trade for prospects and salary reflief or extend for long term commitment, but don't let him walk with nothing back.

However, I lean toward trading. He is at peak value now coming off a career year. The numbers say he is unlikely to replicate the year he had. We have four other guys who are every bit as good. Ubaldo is due to bounce back at least some, and then there is the possibility of Bundy on the horizon. I think our rotation can get by without Bud, then we can use the salary relief to fill DH, RF, and LOOGY. Recall that we traded Erik Bedard at a similar point in his career and got back Adam Jones and Chris Tillman. If we can get half as a good a return for Buck it will be worth it.

Trading Norris for anything but a bettter starter puts the O's one injury away from trouble.

I fully expect Dan to sign at least one depth arm.

Plus there are a number of arms in the minors that could work for a short stint.

Maybe the AAA pitchers could fill in the 2nd half if they do well. I'd like to see more from them before they are promoted.

I think a lot depends on how much credit we give the last year's starters for winning the division. I tend to give the top 5 starters a lot of credit and don't see replacement in place for the start of the season. I doubt want Ubaldo in the rotation in April. I don't think the O's rotation gets through June without injury. We were lucky last year to not have more injuries to the pitching staff. That will probably will not happen again.

What kind of a pitcher do you see as a depth arm?

Trading Norris for anything but a bettter starter puts the O's one injury away from trouble.

If Adam Jones or JJ got injured we would be in serious trouble without any prospects in the system to replace them.

Also keep in mind that if we trade Bud we would have $9 million to spend to plug holes. A 4th/5th starter would be on our shopping list.

Jimenez may be tradeable. We'd likely have to take on another bad contract to do it though. Maybe Ethier or Kemp?
The Dodgers want a lot for Kemp.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Dodgers?src=hash">#Dodgers</a> certainly have outfielders to move in any trade but have high pricetag on Matt Kemp</p>? Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) <a href="

">November 18, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

They must be willing to eat a ton of salary.

Which exactly why people need to stop floating out this Jiminez to the LAD for Kemp trade.... The LAD do not want him.

If Adam Jones or JJ got injured we would be in serious trouble without any prospects in the system to replace them.

Also keep in mind that if we trade Bud we would have $9 million to spend to plug holes. A 4th/5th starter would be on our shopping list.

I have been told on the OH recently that Norris is a #5 starter.

Guest rochester

I would trade Norris for MLB ready (and decent) OF that is young, cheap and has excellent potential. I'm thinking since the Marlins have given half of Miami to Stanton, and have two young guys in Ozuna and Yelich, how about Jake Marisnick http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=marisja01&year=&t=b.

Obviously, we would need more than a Chen or Norris but Miami really needs pitching and we can let Nick go and save a ton of money to find some gems in pitching and/or put it towards Cruz.

Archived