Would you have matched SEA offer to keep Cruz an Oriole?

isestrex

Would you have matched 4y/$57M for Cruz?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have matched 4y/$57M for Cruz?

• Yes, that's reasonable
    • No, let the Mariners have him.

This poll is closed to new votes

6 hours ago, Philip said:

That’s a really hard choice, I really like Schilling, And even though he says some really stupid things, his politics don't really bother me. But I think I would probably want Mussina in a must win game. 

You maybe right... There are two images that I thought of when I made that comment. Schilling: bloody sock of course. I don't think Mussina pitches in that game. Mussina: After a Yankee's loss saying (I am paraphrasing a little) Well, I did my job and gave the team a chance to win. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Morris was 7-1, 2.60 in the postseason prior to his poor run in 1992.   So, he did deserve his reputation for being good in the postseason, but then he undid it.   

Objectively, he was a very good pitcher but probably a little short of what I’d expect from a Hall of Famer.  But it doesn’t offend me that he’s in there.   

I'm going to go with that I blocked out all memory of the 92 series because the Blue Jays won. ??

• Haha 1

I would have said no and would have been wrong.  Who could predict his sustained success, especially in light of a positive steroid test at an advanced age.  This is one you can’t blame on management.  But kudos to Nellie!

7 hours ago, Catch 8 said:

I would have said no and would have been wrong.  Who could predict his sustained success, especially in light of a positive steroid test at an advanced age.  This is one you can’t blame on management.  But kudos to Nellie!

Is it wrong to make a choice that will work out in your favor 99% of the time, and there's no way to tell if this particular choice is the 1%?

At 33:
Carlos Delgado had a 161 OPS+.  Over his last four years of his career he was worth 4.8 wins.
Jack Clark had a 148 OPS+.  Three years later he was done.
Derrek Lee had a 146 OPS+.  Two years later he was an Oriole... and done.
Pedro Guerrero had a 145 OPS+.  The next season would be his last with average batting numbers.
Aubrey Huff had a 142 OPS+.  He never had a 100 again.
Lance Berkman had a 140 OPS+. He'd have two more pretty good seasons.
John Olerud had a 140 OPS+.  After that he played 214 games with a 98 OPS+.
Jeff Bagwell had a 140 OPS+.  He actually had three more good years before falling off and retiring.
Mike Easler had a 140 OPS+.  He had one more .800 OPS season.
Cecil Cooper had a 138 OPS+.  He had one more season where he was an average or better hitter.
Don Baylor had a 138 OPS+ (actually at 34).  He had one more season with an .800 OPS.
George Hendrick had a 138 OPS+.  He had one more part-time season with an .800 OPS.
Andre Thornton had a 123.  He's have one more good year.
Adrian Gonzalez had a 130 OPS+.  Since then he's gone .784, .642, .672.
Dmitri Young had a 129 OPS+.  The next year would be his last.

Then you have Nelson Cruz and David Ortiz at 137.  Cruz has a .928 OPS and been worth 21 wins since leaving Baltimore.  And Ortiz had perhaps the best late career hitting and phone smashing record of all time.

Also, remember Cruz was born July 1st, on the cutoff date, so if he'd been born 12 hours later his walk year with the O's would have been his age 34 season, so we'd be comparing him to these guys a year later and a year worse.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2020 at 7:55 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

Is it wrong to make a choice that will work out in your favor 99% of the time, and there's no way to tell if this particular choice is the 1%?

And again, couldn’t have said it better myself.