I guess I'm a Braves fan now (secondarily), so what about them?

Frobby

Somebody needs to beat the Mets every day, so it might as well be the Braves 18 times.

I was wondering why anyone would have a visceral dislike of a team that's usually just not very good, nor well-run. But then I remembered 1969. Not really remembered, since I was -2. But that's quite a while to hold a grudge. I'm over '79, and that's my first memories of baseball.

I was wondering why anyone would have a visceral dislike of a team that's usually just not very good, nor well-run. But then I remembered 1969. Not really remembered, since I was -2. But that's quite a while to hold a grudge. I'm over '79, and that's my first memories of baseball.

You have to have been the right age. I was 12, and had been a passionate Orioles fan for 3-4 years at that point. The Jets had just beaten the Colts that January in the Super Bowl, the biggest upset in the history of football to that point, and a crushing event in my life. Now the Mets do the same thing to the 109-win Orioles. Now put the New York media on the case, so that you have to hear about both those events regularly for the rest of your life. Just typing these sentences is making me nauseous. I won't live it down if I live to be 112.

Well, in the department of reduced expectations... it appears the Braves are trying to sign Alberto Castillo - the only AL regular 2nd baseman who hit worse than Schoop last season - at least at one point towards the end of last season.

Well, in the department of reduced expectations... it appears the Braves are trying to sign Alberto Castillo - the only AL regular 2nd baseman who hit worse than Schoop last season - at least at one point towards the end of last season.

Callaspo. :o

You have to have been the right age. I was 12, and had been a passionate Orioles fan for 3-4 years at that point. The Jets had just beaten the Colts that January in the Super Bowl, the biggest upset in the history of football to that point, and a crushing event in my life. Now the Mets do the same thing to the 109-win Orioles. Now put the New York media on the case, so that you have to hear about both those events regularly for the rest of your life. Just typing these sentences is making me nauseous. I won't live it down if I live to be 112.

It was life changing.

• 2 weeks later...

I was 8, I remember these events all too well. It was a bad year, even for a third-grader. My brother and I still talk about 1969 with a certain amount of disdain.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the Braves did trade Evan Gattis (their 3rd OFer traded this offseason) - much to my chagrin - to Houston for 2 of their top 10 prospects and a top 15 prospect. Rio Ruiz, a 20 year old 3rd baseman who had a .387 OBP last year in high A appears to be the best of the prospects, though some would say Mike Foltynewicz - who pitched in the majors at age 22 last year and hits 100 MPH is better. Both have flaws - Ruiz may lack the athleticism to stay at 3B, and Foltynewicz has command and control issues. My guess is this means the Braves make a run at Colby Rasmus.

Well, the Braves did trade Evan Gattis (their 3rd OFer traded this offseason) - much to my chagrin - to Houston for 2 of their top 10 prospects and a top 15 prospect. Rio Ruiz, a 20 year old 3rd baseman who had a .387 OBP last year in high A appears to be the best of the prospects, though some would say Mike Foltynewicz - who pitched in the majors at age 22 last year and hits 100 MPH is better. Both have flaws - Ruiz may lack the athleticism to stay at 3B, and Foltynewicz has command and control issues. My guess is this means the Braves make a run at Colby Rasmus.

The Braves want an outfielder.

I believe at this point the Braves would not spend eight million dollars on a one year deal.

I believe at this point the Braves would not spend eight million dollars on a one year deal.

Seems like the Braves are in rebuilding mode to me, which makes the Markakis signing even more curious. I agree, I don't think they are in the market for a one year deal but who knows, they kind of seem like a wildcard this offseason.

The Braves said they are not in complete rebuild mode. While they are clearly trying to bolster their inventory of prospects, they are trying to put up a representative team - they still need to sell tickets, sell jerseys, and sell advertisements. I think signing Rasmus to a short deal would fit into exactly what they want to do. It does nothing to interfere with their rebuild - as they don't have a young OFer in their system that should be getting a shot at starting.

I wonder when they came to Maryland to wine and dine, how frank the Braves were with Nick about their planned offseason strategy.

If one (Heyward) is a fluke, and two (Upton) is a trend, three (Gattis) has to be a strategy and that's three win-now players shipped out for future assets. I hope none of this is a surprise to Nick, but can only wonder.

Are the Braves now past a tipping point where moving Kimbrel is the next domino?

Yeah, it doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of their offseason.

But the Markakis signing didn't interfere with their rebuild. They are trying to have it both ways - rebuilding and still competing. I doubt they'll be successful competing, but their GM came out again yesterday saying they will compete in 2015. Now, if/when they trade Kimbrel, then you'll know they've given up on competing in 2015.

Archived