December 9, 1965

mdbdotcom

Frank Robinson traded by the Cincinnati Reds to the Baltimore Orioles for Jack Baldschun, Milt Pappas and Dick Simpson.

Best day in O's history. I was 12 years old. Heard the news on the radio, turned to my brother and said, "We just won the World Series."

It's a good day to make a deal, DD. Bring us a good one.

If there was an OH in those days the folks on it would be saying, "Robinson is over 30. Think of how terrible he will be by the end of his contract. Pass!"

And it was like the Hotel California. You could check out any time you wanted. But you could never leave.

Frank Robinson traded by the Cincinnati Reds to the Baltimore Orioles for Jack Baldschun, Milt Pappas and Dick Simpson.

Best day in O's history. I was 12 years old. Heard the news on the radio, turned to my brother and said, "We just won the World Series."

It's a good day to make a deal, DD. Bring us a good one.

Man I am just old enough to actually remember that. :thumbsup1:

OH man did Frank have a sweet swing that guy made homers look EASY.

If that trade had never happened, I wouldn't be Frobby today. Who knows, maybe I wouldn't have even been an Orioles fan. I fell in love with the team during the 1966 World Series, and Frank's homer in Game 4 is what cemented his status as my favorite player. Believe it or not, I didn't even follow baseball very closely until that World Series. My dad used to take me to 1-2 Senators games a year and that was all I knew about baseball.

If that trade had never happened, I wouldn't be Frobby today. Who knows, maybe I wouldn't have even been an Orioles fan. I fell in love with the team during the 1966 World Series, and Frank's homer in Game 4 is what cemented his status as my favorite player. Believe it or not, I didn't even follow baseball very closely until that World Series. My dad used to take me to 1-2 Senators games a year and that was all I knew about baseball.

So that trade is still paying dividends for fans of Orioles baseball!

It's hard to say how my life would be different had that trade not taken place. I can remember laughing at my sister when she thought Brooks and Frank where brothers.

We loved the Robinsons at my house. I was also a huge fan of Curt Motton, one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet amd he was great to us kids.

Best trade in Oriole history. Argubualy the most one sided trade for an everyday player in baseball history.

Great trade for us, but I think it does a disservice to Milt Pappas to act as though the Orioles gave up nothing. Pappas was an above average starting pitcher, and won 99 games after leaving the Orioles. It didn't hurt us to trade him because our farm system was spitting out tons of good young pitchers. And of course, Frank was exactly what our team needed.

Fate can be fickle, can't it ???

If the A's had beaten the Orioles in the 1971 A.L.C.S., then I might very well be an Oakland Athletics fan today. And subsequently, instead of being a Colts fans, I might be a Raiders fan. And instead of being a Bullets fan, I might be a Warriors fan.

Great trade for us, but I think it does a disservice to Milt Pappas to act as though the Orioles gave up nothing. Pappas was an above average starting pitcher, and won 99 games after leaving the Orioles. It didn't hurt us to trade him because our farm system was spitting out tons of good young pitchers. And of course, Frank was exactly what our team needed.

This. Pappas was no slouch before he got traded, and was no slouch after he got traded, and I never even saw either of them play and can objectively say that. He just got traded for Frank Robinson, who went on to win the triple crown and cement his hall of fame career. Easily the most significant move in the history of the Orioles, even more so than the mega trade with the Yankees after 54.

I liked Milt Pappas. I went to a clinic at Memorial Stadium and Pappas talked to us about pitching and Jim Gentile about hitting. 1962 or 1963. Clinic in the morning, then stayed for a Saturday afternoon ball game. Myself and a friend of mine went from Liberty Road Little League, and there were two kids each there from other Baltimore area little leagues. Still have pictures of me with each of them hanging up in the rec room. Both of them treated us great. Great day. Pappas showed us how to throw a curve ball. Then told us not to throw it until we were 13 years old. Right. LOL. Every one of us were out trying to break off curve balls as soon as we got home. I wasn't happy about the trade, but my mind was changed in April, 1966 as soon as Frank hit one out. :)

Archived