What would it take to get Matt Joyce? (Traded to Angels)

Dark Helmet

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: The Angels have traded RHP Kevin Jepsen to TB for OF Matt Joyce.</p>— Tim Brown (@TBrownYahoo) <a href="
">December 16, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Another down.

Assuming the Rays would have traded Joyce in the division, who would be the Orioles equivalent to Jepsen?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Assuming the Rays would have traded Joyce in the division, who would be the Orioles equivalent to Jepsen?

Jepsen had 10.4 strikeouts per nine last season. That's higher than any O's reliever except Andrew Miller. Not sure which O's reliever would fit the bill -- O'Day/Britton might be the closest equivalent.

Jepsen had 10.4 strikeouts per nine last season. That's higher than any O's reliever except Andrew Miller. Not sure which O's reliever would fit the bill -- O'Day/Britton might be the closest equivalent.
That's about what I thought. This leads to the follow-up, would anyone have traded O'Day/Britton for Joyce, again with the assumption the Orioles' price would have been equivalent to the Angels?

Nope. Career .189 hitter against LHP with diminishing power at age 30. Was hot for 6 weeks last season where he hit 3 HR in June...and that basically salvaged his season. Only hit 3 HR from July on and hit about .205 the final two months of the year.

Before that, you could rely on a .275 15 HR guy. But the outbreak hasn't come, nor will it ever with those kind of #'s against LHP. Not to mention the negative dWAR and escalating salary...

That's about what I thought. This leads to the follow-up, would anyone have traded O'Day/Britton for Joyce, again with the assumption the Orioles' price would have been equivalent to the Angels?

I think Tommy Hunter would be a better comp. Both hard throwing righties that will make around the same amount next season. Tommy prob about 500 k more but Jespen has one extra year of control.

Archived