Some random stats from Roch

Frobby

Roch's column this morning ticks off a bunch of random stats. I'm not reprinting all of them, but found these ones to be of particular interest:

Closer Zach Britton led all relievers in ground ball-to-fly ball ratio (6.68) and groundball percentage (75.8).

Miguel Gonzalez went 5-2 with a 2.78 ERA in 12 starts against the American League East.

Shortstop J.J. Hardy batted .315 with 42 RBIs in 107 plate appearances with runners in scoring position.

Ubaldo Jimenez posted a 3.40 ERA in 16 night starts.

Adam Jones batted .344 against left-handers to rank 10th in the majors. His 1.003 OPS ranked ninth.

The Orioles went 14-1 when Jonathan Schoop homered.

Teams are 2-for-13 trying to steal bases off Tillman since the beginning of 2013.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/12/random-orioles-notes.html

14-1 when Schoop homers....he really had 15? Wow. Really excited to watch him and Wieters above everyone else this year.

Actually, he had 16, because he had two in one game against the Brewers on May 26. The 14-1 record is probably a very fluky stat, but he did have some key blows last year. I really felt like after the all-star break, he began to get a better appreciation of when he could turn on a pitch. He had 6 homers in his 73 starts before the ASB, 10 homers in 53 starts after the ASB. I'd be really disappointed if he didn't hit 20+ this year; 25 would not surprise me, if he is able to get on base often enough to stay in the lineup.

Actually, he had 16, because he had two in one game against the Brewers on May 26. The 14-1 record is probably a very fluky stat, but he did have some key blows last year. I really felt like after the all-star break, he began to get a better appreciation of when he could turn on a pitch. He had 6 homers in his 73 starts before the ASB, 10 homers in 53 starts after the ASB. I'd be really disappointed if he didn't hit 20+ this year; 25 would not surprise me, if he is able to get on base often enough to stay in the lineup.

I'm worried how big he is when camp opens.

He put on a substantial amount of mass last offseason and it didn't hurt his defense. I am hopeful he doesn't overdo it this year.

I'm worried how big he is when camp opens.

He put on a substantial amount of mass last offseason and it didn't hurt his defense. I am hopeful he doesn't overdo it this year.

You mean muscle mass right? You didn't specify and the worry about how big he is makes it sound as if he has a weight issue.

You mean muscle mass right? You didn't specify and the worry about how big he is makes it sound as if he has a weight issue.

It is never "pure muscle" but yes I was referring to healthy weight gain. He came into camp at 238 last season and he is listed at 210. Buck made a comment or three about his size.

Could he play plus second at 250?

Him potentially outgrowing the position has been a concern for some time.

It will be really interesting to see if Schoop can build off last season and put together better at bats. There is no question he has power and he can pick it at 2B, but the Orioles really need him to turn into a solid contributor at the plate and bumping up his OBP to near .300 this year while maintaining power would be a big boon.

It is never "pure muscle" but yes I was referring to healthy weight gain. He came into camp at 238 last season and he is listed at 210. Buck made a comment or three about his size.

That was part reasoning in the profile why many scouts had him at 3B.

Maybe Brady works with him this offseason to get him into more of a strength/cutting shape rather than pure bulking direction. Maybe he comes in at 230 looking like a Greek statue.

I think it's a good indication of how good we can be when the bottom 1/3 of our lineup produces, but you can say that about most teams.

Maybe Brady works with him this offseason to get him into more of a strength/cutting shape rather than pure bulking direction. Maybe he comes in at 230 looking like a Greek statue.

So, kinda looking like Brady? If Schoop gets in that kind of shape look out. He'll hit 54 HRs and we'll be asking if he had a TUE.

Archived