Wieters DH vs DL-rehab assignment

csgordos

I have seen a lot of discussion on the board about if Wieters isn't ready to catch that he will just be a DH. This discussion usually revolves around the roster make up. I do not believe the lack of flexibility in just having a DH especially with Young already signed, makes sense. I was always under the opinion that Buck likes his flexibility on the bench. This would severely hamstring him with that flexibility.

Medically speaking, if you are not ready to throw consistently why would you risk injury to the reconstruction and still just DH? I don't think that makes logical sense. I believe he is either ready to play opening day as a full-time position player, will be on the DL, or on a rehab assignment as a catcher.

Has Dan Duquette or Buck been quoted saying they would carry him just as a DH even if he can't catch? I just don't see the logic in this thought process. Of course I've been wrong numerous times in the past. This would not be a first.

I have seen a lot of discussion on the board about if Wieters isn't ready to catch that he will just be a DH. This discussion usually revolves around the roster make up. I do not believe the lack of flexibility in just having a DH especially with Young already signed, makes sense. I was always under the opinion that Buck likes his flexibility on the bench. This would severely hamstring him with that flexibility.

Medically speaking, if you are not ready to throw consistently why would you risk injury to the reconstruction and still just DH? I don't think that makes logical sense. I believe he is either ready to play opening day as a full-time position player, will be on the DL, or on a rehab assignment as a catcher.

Has Dan Duquette or Buck been quoted saying they would carry him just as a DH even if he can't catch? I just don't see the logic in this thought process. Of course I've been wrong numerous times in the past. This would not be a first.

We have him for a couple months. We'll use him. I don't believe we will DL him unless we have a roster crunch and need the space for two weeks. I do believe he can hit already. Throwing to second may never occur.

My preference would be to DL him until he's ready to contribute defensively as a catcher. To me, it's not worth DH'ing him, if we have to lose someone like Lough because of it. We should consider this year's team and next over justifying the money Wieter's is being paid this year and showcasing him for next year's free agent market.

It will be interesting to see it play out.

Some years.

For his career, he is a 89 wRC+ vs RHP. I'll take that sample over anything he did in 90 PAs last year with a .350+ BABIP. Prior to that, you have to go back to 2009 in another small sample to find him better than league average against RHP.

.709 OPS for his career (1952 plate appearances) against RHP's. I"m not going to go out of my way to get him AB's in the DH spot.

Fair enough. I have no knowledge on this subject. I just always believe that if they pay them, they use them. It's not like we are getting him healthy for 2016.

Is there any reason to think that DHing would impede his rehab in any way? Assuming of course that he is already throwing, just not at the required level.

Letting him hit will not impede his rehab. The danger I see would be he is not cleared to catch, but in a crunch you play him at first and then he hurts it making a hard throw. I just do not see anyway you carry Young and Wieters if he can only hit. Especially if you lose a player because of it. I believe his hitting is tied to his catching. I don't believe he is a great pure hitter that you risk losing a better overall player for short period of time.

I believe we are trying to build our team around defense and pitching and this goes completely against that philosophy and how our manager seems to be preparing a game plan for day-to-day, week to week, and month the month.

I agree, it would seem too limited to carry Wieter's and Young as both DH only (yes I know we can put Young in the outfield, I just am hoping to have to watch that anymore), I also hear what Weams is saying about if we are paying him and can use in him in anyway, we will. It definitely will be interesting to see how it plays out. Come on spring!

If doctors recommend easing him into catching full time by having him catch twice a week, then three times, and so on, it will be interesting to see how he's used the days he's not starting.

I would think it would be a case of if he can make the throws or not. If he is throwing well he would only have to make a couple stressful throws a game.

I agree, it would seem too limited to carry Wieter's and Young as both DH only (yes I know we can put Young in the outfield, I just am hoping to have to watch that anymore), I also hear what Weams is saying about if we are paying him and can use in him in anyway, we will. It definitely will be interesting to see how it plays out. Come on spring!

Young isn't any worse than Cruz was in the field. At least not to me. He's got a nice arm.

Young isn't any worse than Cruz was in the field. At least not to me. He's got a nice arm.

You must have seen something different then me...haha Regardless we have better options for the outfield and maybe be getting one more.

Archived