Projecting the AL East

ChuckS

I don't see the Yanks age as a concern really. Maybe for a player or two but not the whole team. And I think they are in a good position as anyone to win the division this year.

Are you assuming they sign Scherzer? Otherwise, I don't see them in it. Tanaka is hurt and I don't think he lasts the year. Pineda gets hurt every year. CC is done. Kuroda was solid, he's gone. McCarthy was good for them, he's gone. Same with Shane Greene. The offense wasn't good last year and I don't think you can count on old guys getting better. Ellsbury and Gardner were their only position players better than average last year along with Headley in his partial time with them and Prado (who is also now gone). Headley is a solid addition for this year and the bullpen will be good but I don't think it's enough.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4. Boston - I am unenthused about their off season. Sandoval can't help in the playoffs if they don't make it. Ramirez is not as valuable in LF as he is at SS, where Xander Boegarts is struggling. Sure they'll score runs. The pitching staff still looks woeful -- they really need somebody at the top of the .

I believe other than TOR (only because of their injuries last year and replacing what they lost, if not gaining more at the same time) that Boston will be the most improved.

Sandoval is more than a upgrade over everyone they had attempt to play third and Hanleys value is in his bat, not his fielding as much. Idk about their BP but I believe their rotation is good enough to keep them in games. If Ortiz can continue his play from last year, there is no way this team isn't competing for the division.

Are you assuming they sign Scherzer? Otherwise, I don't see them in it. Tanaka is hurt and I don't think he lasts the year. Pineda gets hurt every year. CC is done. Kuroda was solid, he's gone. McCarthy was good for them, he's gone. Same with Shane Greene. The offense wasn't good last year and I don't think you can count on old guys getting better. Ellsbury and Gardner were their only position players better than average last year along with Headley in his partial time with them and Prado (who is also now gone). Headley is a solid addition for this year and the bullpen will be good but I don't think it's enough.

I don't believe CC is done. He's not an ACE anymore but still formidable. Didn't realize Kuroda was gone and could careless about McCarthy. I just think they are the Yankees and with Bmore losing a bit the window had opened for them. And just curious, how do you feel optimistic about Machado staying healthy but not Tanaka when he returns? Just a little bias?

I don't believe CC is done. He's not an ACE anymore but still formidable. Didn't realize Kuroda was gone and could careless about McCarthy. I just think they are the Yankees and with Bmore losing a bit the window had opened for them. And just curious, how do you feel optimistic about Machado staying healthy but not Tanaka when he returns? Just a little bias?

And I would not be surprised if they get Scherzer or Shields. Which would help the loss of Kuroda.

Tanaka has a lot of mileage on that arm already, and the risk of injury to pitchers is always a thinner line to walk than it is for position players. Manny's injuries are real and a concern, no question, but they happened in such a fluke way that could happen to anyone. Not so with pitchers.

CC has a degenerative knee issue and it's up in the air if he will even be able to pitch this year. That's on top of him completely losing his stuff and being 35. McCarthy was very good for them last year, they'll miss him. Also, the expression is "couldn't care less".

As for the second part, I never said I was optimistic about Manny staying healthy, not once. That said, Tanaka has a UCL tear that was not repaired. When he came back he did not look the same. Manny had surgery to repair his injury, has rehabbed from that surgery appears to be recovering nicely. Tanaka will need Tommy John, it's not a question of if but when.

Tanaka has a lot of mileage on that arm already, and the risk of injury to pitchers is always a thinner line to walk than it is for position players. Manny's injuries are real and a concern, no question, but they happened in such a fluke way that could happen to anyone. Not so with pitchers.

As long as there are pitchers pitching into their forties with no problems, the mileage for a 26 year old arm isn't a concern to me. It's all about the person. Maybe his body/arm won't hold up, but just because he has thrown more than your typical American 25 yr old pitcher doesn't make it a safe bet he can't be/stay healthy.

Scherzer and Shields. If BOS or the MFY pick up one of these guys the balance is changed. With the MFY the ARod factor will hurt them no matter. Remember what Palmeiro and Sosa did to a very good O's team.

Gordo, you have stayed remarkably quiet during this entire Duquette matter. How have you been able to show such exquisite self control?:D

You know the division was weak last year. I think losing Nelson and Miller is going to hurt us. I don't see a answer for a good leadoff hitter someone how can spark our line up. I think Tampa and Boston have gotten better. This is going to be a hard fought battle for first.

Gordo, you have stayed remarkably quiet during this entire Duquette matter. How have you been able to show such exquisite self control?:D
Because it is all media hype. I try not to get excited by Rosenthal's BS. No doubt TOR is interested in DD. No doubt DD would like the job as a considerable promotion. No doubt PA wants to keep him and will do every thing he can to get at least suitable compensation. I think TOR is playing the media to pressure PA and I think MLB is not too sympathetic with PA. No matter we will be fine if Dan goes(and I wouldn't blame him if he does)we have still Buck and Brady. And if he stays I think Dan will continue too do the best job he can. He's a pro.

Seems like NYY and Tampa will barely resemble a major league team this year. TOR and Boston will be similar in that they can hit, but who knows how well they'll pitch. I certainly think we have a good shot at repeating as division champs, and even though we won't have Cruz or Markakis, I think we'll push last years run total/RPG figures with a full year of Manny and hopefully a resurgence from Crush.

Lots of reason to be optimistic. Tillman is now in his prime. Gausman is a potential BIG TIME ace. Ubaldo has to be better than last year. Britton will be the closer all year. The list goes on. Can't wait for April.

Archived