For all the people who said they would reserve their judgement...

millertime

A lot can happen between now and opening day. Some roster are very overloaded with position players or pitchers. Come the time to get down to 25 man rosters good deals can be had. You can also get a good rental cheap at the trading deadline and a draft pick when they leave. Dan is a master at that.

Plus the only AL East team at this time I am remotely concerned with are the Blue Jays.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Hutchison is primed for a breakout, Stroman is going to be solid, and Aaron Sanchez is quite scary. They may pitch better than you think they will.

I guess Sanchez is in the pen. Stroman is solid. Not in on Hutchison. They are bad. Compared to us. We are six deep as good as Stroman.

I guess Sanchez is in the pen. Stroman is solid. Not in on Hutchison. They are bad. Compared to us. We are six deep as good as Stroman.

Hutchison is young, the ERA was kind of flukey as the peripherals were pretty good. He easily has better stuff than anyone in the Orioles rotation. He was dominant in the second half. Big K rate, low walk rate. Higher ceiling than anyone we have not named Gausman. He was worth 2.6 fWAR last year and I think the ERA will look much better in 2015.

Stroman was better than anyone we have last year unless you put total faith in ERA, which I know you put a lot of stock in. All the other metrics, Stroman was better than everyone the Orioles have.

I think Sanchez is slated for the rotation right now with Happ being traded. He is going to be very good. They also have Norris right behind him. If Hutchison takes the next step, Stroman stays about the same, and Beuhrle and Dickey are even respectable that rotation could be pretty decent. The pen however could be another story.

My only regret in this offseason is that we didn't try harder to keep Cruz.

Yes we have a bunch of guys coming back after injury or suspension, but Cruz would have been that insurance if they didn't come back firing on all cylinders.

That said, we are not in that bad a position. Our pitching staff are pretty much as per last season pre-Miller which was still pretty good. We should have good bats with Machado, Weiters coming back and Young re-signed. Oh, and there is Davis who may be able to get back on a Ritalin-fuelled HR rampage ;)

It would still be nice if DD could find one big trade before OD though. Perhaps there is a parallel universe where an MLB owner inexplicably loves Jiminez, or something....just. not. Gausman

Archived