Ongoing Lineup Thread (2015)

OFFNY

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would you care to explain to poor simple me why strikeouts are a big deal?

You keep on and on and on and on and on about it.

Why is it so much worse to strike out then to make an out any other way?

Is it because that is what your little league coach said?

I know people have done studies on this, but I don't think it mattes much. If you make an out another way, there is the possibility of a "productive out", like a sac fly or advancing a runner, but you run the risk of a double play. If you strikeout, you avoid a double play, but can't advance a runner or have a sac fly. With no one on base, it doesn't matter. In fact, as you pointed out, it might drive a pitch count up.

I know people have done studies on this' date=' but I don't think it mattes much. If you make an out another way, there is the possibility of a "productive out", like a sac fly or advancing a runner, but you run the risk of a double play. If you strikeout, you avoid a double play, but can't advance a runner or have a sac fly. With no one on base, it doesn't matter. In fact, as you pointed out, it might drive a pitch count up.[/quote']

Thanks, but I wanted Herman to explain himself.

You did, however, do a good job of giving a rational run down of the differences.

Would you care to explain to poor simple me why strikeouts are a big deal?

You keep on and on and on and on and on about it.

Why is it so much worse to strike out then to make an out any other way?

Is it because that is what your little league coach said?

In general, I agree that strikeouts aren't a big deal. More precisely, they aren't a big deal when hitters, especially legitimate power hitters, are swinging hard, sometimes making contact and hitting the ball hard but sometimes missing and striking out. I don't think it matters whether that hard swing results in a popup or a K. If the Houston Astros or Chris Davis or Reggie Jackson or Babe Ruth strikes out a lot while hitting a lot of HRs, there's no reason to be concerned about the Ks.

Strikeouts also aren't a big deal if they come when hitters are battling the pitcher, taking some pitches out of the strike zone and fouling others (whether in the zone or slightly out of it), and running up the pitch count -- especially against a team with vulnerable middle relief. The pitcher will win some of those battles by getting third strikes. Ks of that sort are disappointing but nothing to be concerned about.

Strikeouts are a big deal when they're not coming with hard-hit balls or long ABs. That is, when the high number of Ks is symptomatic of a hitter (or a team with lots of them) swinging and missing repeatedly or taking pitches over the heart of the plate because they're not ready to hit them, when they appear to be clueless in the batter's box, overmatched against good but not great pitchers, with no appearance of any plan, swinging wildly at everything thrown in the general vicinity of home plate, and not varying that approach no matter where pitches are thrown or what the game situation is. (On the last point, strikeouts obviously are a big deal when there's a runner on third and less than two outs.) In those situations, the number of strikeouts tells you something about hitters' skill, preparation and ability to make adjustments at the plate.

Just my opinion.

o

Jimenez vs. Jimenez

BALTIMORE O RIOLES O(vs. RANGERS, 8/29)

Manny Machado - 3B

Gerardo Parra - LF

Adam Jones - CF

Chris Davis - DH

Steven Wayne Pearce - 1B

Jonathan Schoop - 2B

Caleb Joseph - C

Daniel Alvarez - RF

Paul Ryan Janish - SS

Ubaldo Jimenez Garcia - RHP (9-8, 4.26 ERA)

OPPOSING PITCHER

Martin Perez Jimenez - LHP (1-3, 5.30 ERA)

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

I think the Orioles went downhill when Gallagher left the building. Back to watermelon smashing.No baseball smashing. So Jimenez vs Jimenez.

I think the Orioles went downhill when Gallagher left the building. Back to watermelon smashing.No baseball smashing. So Jimenez vs Jimenez.

I think that the Orioles went downhill when Gordo left the building.

You're doing a fine job filling in for him, but it just isn't the same.

o

BALTIMORE O RIOLES O(vs. D-RAYS, 8/31)

Manny Machado - SS

Gerardo Parra - LF

Adam Jones - CF

Chris Davis - RF

Matthew Wieters - 1B

Steve Clevenger - DH

Jonathan Schoop - 2B

Caleb Joseph - C

Ryan Edward Flaherty - 3B

Wei-Yin Chen - LHP (8-6, 3.17 ERA)

OPPOSING PITCHER

Christopher Alan Archer - RHP (11-10, 2.88 ERA)

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

Should win today. Crap,even the Phillies went on a winning streak after the All Star break.

o

(APRIL 26th)

o

Since we beat Chris Archer on Opening Day, these are his lines for his outings since:

vs. MARLINS, 4/11:

7.00 IP O 1 H O 0 R O 0 ER O 1 BB O 5 SO O1O 84 Pitches (57 Strikes, 27 Balls)

vs. BLUE JAYS, 4/16:

7.00 IP O 2 H O 0 R O 0 ER O 2 BB O 11 SO .)) 109 Pitches (68 Strikes, 41 Balls)

vs. RED SOX, 4/21:

5.67 IP O 7 H O 1 R O 0 ER O 1 BB OO 9 SO O1 106 Pitches (72 Strikes, 34 Balls)

vs. BLUE JAYS, 4/26:

7.00 IP O 2 H O 0 R O 0 ER O 1 BB O 7 SO O1O 93 Pitches (64 Strikes, 29 Balls)

Not a single earned run.

5 walks.

32 strikeouts.

o

(MAY 27th)

o

After getting smacked around by the Orioles and the Rangers in back-to-back starts 3 and-a-half weeks ago, Archer is back on fire again.

In his 4 starts since, Archer has:

26.33 IP

19 H

4 R

4 BB

32 SO

94 Pitches (260 Strikes, 134 Balls)

1.37 ERA

0.874 WHIP

(AUGUST 21st)

All this time later, and Archer is continuing to pitch very well.

He's having a great season overall.

27 OUTS: 11 Strikeouts, 8 Groundouts, 3 Flyouts, 2 Popouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Caught Stealing

CHRIS ARCHER O(vs. ASTROS, 8/20)

IP:. 9 l(Complete-Game Shutout)

H:;; 1 l(1 Single)

R:l) 0

BB: 1

SO: 11

Pitches: 98 (65 Strikes, 33 Balls)

2015 ERA: 2.77

Archived