Bad News for Cards' Spiezio

backwardsk

I thought he was high during the crash? Or not, maybe they found pot in his car I can't remember.

Hancock and Spiezio were both drunk when they crashed. I recall a report that there was marijuana and a half full bottle of whiskey in Hancock's vehicle, but I don't recall if that was ever confirmed or not.

Hancock and Spiezio were both drunk when they crashed. I recall a report that there was marijuana and a half full bottle of whiskey in Hancock's vehicle, but I don't recall if that was ever confirmed or not.

Gotcha. Thanks Mr. Knowledgeable Red-Bird dude :)

• 1 month later...

Update on Spiezio.

Spiezio gets 3 years probation for hit and run

Former Cardinal Scott Spiezio was sentenced in a California courtroom this morning to three years probation after pleading guilty to driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs and hit-and-run, according to court records.

.... The Cardinals released Spiezio on Feb. 27 after he was charged in the case. The Cardinals have agreed to pay Spiezio's $2.4 million salary for this season plus a $100,000 buyout of next season's option.

He is now playing for the Atlanta Braves' minor-league team in Richmond, Va. It was not immediately clear how the probation would affect his status with the team. A story in Sunday's Atlanta Journal-Constitution said Spiezio, during an interview, hinted at the plea deal and said he didn't anticipate it would keep him from playing.

.... Spiezio's lawyer, Paul S. Meyer, said in a statement: "We are pleased that the criminal matter has now been settled." He said the penalties were fair and would allow Spiezio to continue playing baseball.

I wish Scott well, except if he gets into a game against the Cardinals. He's got a long, hard road back.

Braves released infielder Scott Spiezio.

The troubled Spiezio couldn't even make it two weeks in the organization. Braves GM Frank Wren said the team and Spiezio had agreed that he would submit to testing, continue his rehabilitation and report to the ballpark each day prepared to play. "Yesterday, he was not ready to play," Wren said. Spiezio played in just five games at Triple-A Richmond.

Well he just keeps hurting himself.

Archived