The Defense Thread, 2015

OFFNY

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

o

The defense overall is still struggling, although the offense and the starting pitching (the last 3 games) have helped compensate for that.

The starting pitching overall seems to have turned a corner, and the offense as of late has been more than adequate.

Will the defense follow suit ???

o

o

The defense overall is still struggling, although the offense and the starting pitching (the last 3 games) have helped compensate for that.

The starting pitching overall seems to have turned a corner, and the offense as of late has been more than adequate.

Will the defense follow suit ???

Cabrera made a throwing error today, but overall, I think that they (the Orioles' defense) had a pretty good game.

Baby steps ....... going from a horrible start to the season (which the Orioles' defense had) back to being one of M.L.B.'s elite defensive teams will take some time.

o

Cabrera made a throwing error today, but overall, I think that they (the Orioles' defense) had a pretty good game.

Baby steps ....... going from a horrible start to the season (which the Orioles' defense had) back to being one of M.L.B.'s elite defensive teams will take some time.

The defense will stay elite imo. Especially once Hardy, Flaherty, and Schoop get back. The OF defense other than Jones and Lough is a little questionable, but not everyone on the field has to be a Gold Glover. Cruz and Young were out there for a lot of innings last year as well.

o

Pretty tough error on Cabrera today. If it sets himself, the runner beats it out. Wrong footed and threw poorly. It was an error, but really not an ugly one.

Pretty tough error on Cabrera today. If it sets himself, the runner beats it out. Wrong footed and threw poorly. It was an error, but really not an ugly one.

I agree that was a tough error. It's a difficult play, but one that a ML SS should make.

I am more critical of a play Cabrera failed to make in the fifth inning, the Rays ahead 1-0 and a second run looking important. With two outs and runners on first and second, a fast guy (Kiermaier) on second, Forsythe hit a ground ball in the hole. Cabrera didn't get to it and probably wouldn'tt have had a play even if he did. But he should have either taken a deeper route to the ball, or dived for it, in an all-out effort to prevent it from going through to the OF and keep Kiermaier from scoring. The way Cabrera played it suggests to me that he wasn't mindful of the game situation.

Not much highlights from last night's game.

But, the guys on the radio said when Caleb threw out that Met stealing 2nd, early in the game, that was their first base runner thrown out in 2015. It was something like 11 previous successful steals for them.

Sounded while Caleb throw was a bit wide. Cabrera needs to be given credit too, for snagging it and laying down the tag in time.

But, the guys on the radio said when Caleb threw out that Met stealing 2nd, early in the game, that was their first base runner thrown out in 2015. It was something like 11 previous successful steals for them.

Sounded while Caleb throw was a bit wide. Cabrera needs to be given credit too, for snagging it and laying down the tag in time.

Adam Jones' two running catches in which he covered a lot of ground (especially the one in which he caught while leaping in the air and falling against the centerfield wall) were both noteworthy.

Adam Jones' two running catches in which he covered a lot of ground (especially the one in which he caught while leaping in the air and falling against the centerfield wall) were both noteworthy.

Thanks, wish I had seen that, but wasn't near a TV, so like Scott, I was listening on the radio.

That throw while a little wide was awesome and Cabrera catch and tag was MAJOR LEAGUE the Mets runner had a STUNNED looked on his face that he got gunned down so bad :clap3:

That throw while a little wide was awesome and Cabrera catch and tag was MAJOR LEAGUE the Mets runner had a STUNNED looked on his face that he got gunned down so bad :clap3:

That was one of the areas that concerned me when Hardy went on the DL. I believe Hardy is probably the best in the business at laying down the tag on the runner.

Cabrera showed his worth last night for sure.

Archived