The Defense Thread, 2015

OFFNY

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely a mixed bag so far this season, with Snider and de Aza committing big errors. On the other hand, Machado is looking like his usual self and Schoop picked up where he left off last year. Overall I feel pretty good about this unit; I think Buck'll get most of the mental errors ironed out.

Davis' play last night and DeAza's play tonight we're perfect examples of how tight the margin of error is for the O's. I'm sure we had similar misplays last year but I can't remember them. If Davis catches Schoop's throw last night we're going for a sweep tomorrow.

On the other hand Manny hasn't skipped a beat despite his injury.

Good night to start it, though I think the mods can dispense with "Frobby presents."

- Nice over the shoulder catch by Jones in the first.

- Good running catch by De Aza in the 8th, only to drop a somewhat easier chance with 2 outs that allowed a run to score.

- Diving stop by Schoop to prevent a hit.

- Nice play by Cabrera well to the 2B side picking up a slow roller and shoveling to first.

- Well executed 4-1 play on a ball hit into the shift where Schoop had to wait for Britton to race to 1B and then fire a throw to end the 8th. Nice play by both.

- Typically good play by Manny on a slow chopper to 3B with a speedy runner at the plate.

- Nice play by Britton and Pearce on a chopper in front of home plate where Zach hustled in and fired a throw that was slightly inside the bag that Pearce had to snag and then yank his arm away to avoid the fate that BRob suffered at the end of the 2005 season.

Excellent night except for De Aza's drop.

Thoughts on Joseph so far? I don't always have access to MASN, so I'm mostly listening to Angel and Manfra. I'm starting to believe he'll make a solid average starter, maybe 1.5-2 WAR guy, which would save Baltimore a lot of trouble when Wieters leaves.

Thoughts on Joseph so far? I don't always have access to MASN, so I'm mostly listening to Angel and Manfra. I'm starting to believe he'll make a solid average starter, maybe 1.5-2 WAR guy, which would save Baltimore a lot of trouble when Wieters leaves.
As of now, I don't care when if ever Wieters returns. The guy is a solid ML C.

DeAza allowed another unearned run last night. It wasn't has hurtful as Snider's but it is not a good sign. The unearned runs are now at 5 which is 14% of last year's total. The O's have only played 5% of the games. We may be watching an outfield that is not as good defensively as last year's outfield but its too early to know.

DeAza allowed another unearned run last night. It wasn't has hurtful as Snider's but it is not a good sign. The unearned runs are now at 5 which is 14% of last year's total. The O's have only played 5% of the games. We may be watching an outfield that is not as good defensively as last year's outfield but its too early to know.

Unearned runs tend to be very episodic. Last year's totals by month: 7, 2, 7, 6, 2, 12.

Hopefully Lough will be in the outfield a bit more now. That should help cut down on some of these.

I heard Buck last night on his after game talks and he was asking the reporters what did they rule on the DeAza thing, and when he was told error, he wasn't in agreement he said it was a hit, in his opinion.

Last year in the first half of the season Cruz doesn't get close to that ball. Delmon would not have caught up to it and I doubt Pearce. DeAza's speed allowed him to have a chance.

That 8th inning had a lot of bad luck, bloop hit, seeing eye groundballs. Things will even out over the course of the year just like the unearned runs will.

So far this season the Nats have allowed 10 unearned runs, the Brewers and Yankees have allowed 9, and the Padres and A's have allowed 7.

The Nats are playing awful, actually rooting for them vs Boston and they look terrible. Desmond is making errors every game it seems.

Archived