Statcast, MLB's state-of-the-art tracking technology, now available in every Major League ballpark

weams

And the inevitable backlash. "Who are you going to trust? Some Lost in Space robot, or your own goshdarned eyes that have been watching baseball since 1953?"

To the contrary, I'm going to feel that these metrics are a lot more fact-based and supportable with video evidence, if this is done right. The problem I've always had with UZR, +/- and the like is that there is no transparency whatsoever to the fans.

To the contrary, I'm going to feel that these metrics are a lot more fact-based and supportable with video evidence, if this is done right. The problem I've always had with UZR, +/- and the like is that there is no transparency whatsoever to the fans.

Maybe. But this is still going to be something that takes many, many samples to get a good read, while the highlights will be, for example, one play where Adam Jones took the right route to a ball with a hangtime of 2.3 seconds.

And the inevitable backlash. "Who are you going to trust? Some Lost in Space robot, or your own goshdarned eyes that have been watching baseball since 1953?"

Yeah, but that's not a baseball name. No way that guy will be succesfful with that name. No stat for that!

This is going to change how players play. It may already be influencing players.

An example. First step quickness outfielders can influence. Making sure they sprint hard for every ball, even if its a lazy fly ball they could have just drifted too, could make there first step rates look better over time. And that will be used in deciding future salaries.

Not to mention the training use. When you can go out and practice something 100 times, then go review this data to see what worked and what didn't, that really helps a player maximize there practice time. Especially that spin rate on breaking balls! Throw 10 pitches, change grip, throw 10 more, compare spin rates. Rinse and repeat.

The Orioles should install this stuff in the minors to develop players faster.

Are these data (or some of them) going to be available in real time? The analysis, presentation, and visualization of these data could also dramatically change the experience of watching a game on TV. There could be some useful and compelling ways to do it and some horrendously awful and distracting ways to do it.

Archived