What to do about the bullpen?

Crazysilver03

I think we need to swap out Gausman and Mike Wright. I think Gausman needs to go down on an innings limit and be stretched out to be the replacement for Bud Norris. Something to me is wrong with Bud Norris. He doesn't look right to me and I think he is going to go down with an injury. Mike Wright is ready to be a bullpen option and I think he will grow into a dominant set-up man by the end of the year. He may be a starter next year, but for now lets break him into the bigs this way.

I would move towards

Long - Garcia (he has to be used and should have been last night)

MR + Mop-Up - Hunter (until he re-gains confidence)

MR - Wright

7th inning match-up - Matusz (bad game, has been very good so far)

7th/8th inning match-up - Brach

8th inning - O'Day

Closer - Britton

While we are at it I would option Flaherty for Paredes and DFA Lough for Reimold.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't do anything concerning the bullpen. It will straighten itself out. Gausman looked better tonight and made one terrible pitch. He looked much more fluid and had pretty good fastball command.

But he was forced to make that pitch because he couldn't put the hitter away with the fastball. Gausman has got to learn a breaking ball. You can't just throw fastballs by people, even horrible hitters like Hanigan. You have to be able to throw something else. And he couldn't. So he had to dip into his slider, which is not a major league pitch. That isn't going to work itself out, until he learns a slider.

I wouldn't do anything concerning the bullpen. It will straighten itself out. Gausman looked better tonight and made one terrible pitch. He looked much more fluid and had pretty good fastball command.

You know what will help this bullpen? May.

But he was forced to make that pitch because he couldn't put the hitter away with the fastball. Gausman has got to learn a breaking ball. You can't just throw fastballs by people' date=' even horrible hitters like Hanigan. You have to be able to throw something else. And he couldn't. So he had to dip into his slider, which is not a major league pitch. That isn't going to work itself out, until he learns a slider.[/quote']

I heard he was dropping the slider completely. No?

But he was forced to make that pitch because he couldn't put the hitter away with the fastball. Gausman has got to learn a breaking ball. You can't just throw fastballs by people' date=' even horrible hitters like Hanigan. You have to be able to throw something else. And he couldn't. So he had to dip into his slider, which is not a major league pitch. That isn't going to work itself out, until he learns a slider.[/quote']

Or a Curve. I'm on board with a curve, it doesn't even have to be a good curve.

But he needs to be able to throw it for a strike and he needs to be able to bury it.

First of all, I think some of this stuff will sort out when our starters begin to get deeper into games. So far, they're averaging 5.10 IP per start. Obviously, last night's start got cut short for reasons beyond the starter's control, but the starters need to be averaging close to 6 IP per start for the bullpen to function more smoothly.

Second, I think Buck needs to expose Garcia a bit more, especially in these games where the starter has a short outing. He can't operate with a de facto six man bullpen.

Longer run, we just need to see if some of the relievers who are struggling right now settle in. These are guys who have had some success in the big leagues. If they are still struggling in mid-May, then you may have to think about making changes. For now, I think you sit tight.

Archived