Mychal Givens

weams

12 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

MYCHAL ANTONIO GIVENS )))))) (vs. CARDINALS, 6/17)

Entered the game with the bases loaded and 2 outs, and got a desperately-needed Strikeout.

Pitched 2.33 shutout innings overall, striking out 3 and making a glove-save that would make Ken Dryden and Tony Esposito proud.

2017 ERA: lllllllllll 2.57

2017 WHIP: lllllll1 .143  )  35.00 IP (40 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: ).229  )  30 for 131 

o

o

Givens' 2.33 innings pitched tied a career-high.

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/876215777988403203

o

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So what's our plan today if we have a lead in the 6th or 7th inning?

o

I don't think that there is one.

In fact, I don't think that there was a plan for yesterday's game, either. I think that Showalter saw an opportunity for the Orioles to snatch up a rare win, and went for it with Givens giving everything that he had.

The starting pitching has been so bad as of late, I think that Showalter just goes with the flow, inning by inning (as opposed to game-by-game), and hopes that the offense can outscore and overcome all of the team's current pitching deficiencies.

o

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

4 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

we won't have to worry about a lead in the 6th or 7th today.

Care to think that one over again, Roy?    Play the games, don't assume anything about how they'll come out.   

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

4 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

I don't think that there is one.

In fact, I don't think that there was a plan for yesterday's game, either. I think that Showalter saw an opportunity for the Orioles to snatch up a rare win, and went for it with Givens giving everything that he had.

The starting pitching has been so bad as of late, I think that Showalter just goes with the flow, inning by inning (as opposed to game-by-game), and hopes that the offense can outscore and overcome all of the team's current pitching deficiencies.

o

o

I don't know if anyone was planning on Jimenez pitching the way that he did today ...... ESPECIALLY with the strike zone of today's home-plate umpire.

Givens got to rest, Brach got in and out of there on only 9 pitches, and the Orioles got the W.

Again, I don't know if there really can be a plan other than winging it from game-to-game, until/unless the starting rotation does at least a reasonable job of stabilizing.

o

• 2 weeks later...

o

MYCHAL ANTONIO GIVENS )))))) (vs. BLUE JAYS, 6/27)

Givens was very shaky when he entered the game with 2 runners on base and only one out in the 6th inning, then settled down and was very solid in a 3 up-3 down 7th inning.

11 out his last 12 outings have been scoreless, dating back to a May 26th game against the Astros.

2017 ERA: lllllllllll 2.31

2017 WHIP: lllllll1 .077  )  39.00 IP (42 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: ).210  )  30 for 143 

o

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-improvement-in-all-facets-helping-orioles-reliever-mychal-givens-to-pitch-at-another-level-20170718-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Hey someone has something nice to say about the pitching coach!

Manager Buck Showalter sees a litany of reasons for that growth, from pitching coach Roger McDowell helping tighten up his slider and make it less prone to spinning out over the plate to more willingness to throw a changeup to left-handed hitters.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

o

Good info, thanks.

It seems fitting that the person that had something good to say about the pitching coach was a relief pitcher.

o

o

MYCHAL ANTONIO GIVENS )))))) (vs. ASTROS, 7/23)

1 Shutout Inning on 17 Pitches (10 Strikes, 7 Balls.)

2 Strikeouts.

A 7-0 record on the season (look out, Elroy Face.

OF PARTICULAR NOTE: ) Givens' ERA for the season is under 2, his WHIP is under 1.000, and opponents' batting average is under .200. ) O.o

2017 ERA: lllllllllll 1.97

2017 WHIP: lllllll 0.974  )  50.33 IP (49 H/BB)lll

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: ).198  )  36 for 182 

o

• 2 weeks later...

o

(AUGUST 4th)

In 1959, Elroy Face of the Pirates set the all-time single season record for winning percentage by going 18-1 (.947) out of the bullpen.

For his career, Mychal Givens has a record of 17-2 (.895), including a 7-0 slate so far this season.

a959749b_davis.jpg oooooooooooooooooooo df73a1ae_mlbam.jpg  

In order to qualify for the winning percentage title, a player needs to have 16 or more decisions. I don't think that Givens will come close to getting the 9 more decisions needed to do so, but it's fun to follow and compare.

o

• 6 months later...
On 2/28/2018 at 11:24 AM, Frobby said:

Dave Schoenfield wrote a piece today on each team’s “player who doesn’t get talked about enough.”   He chose Mychal Givens for the Birds.   http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/85356/the-player-who-doesnt-get-talked-about-enough-on-all-30-team

From the same list: Josh Bell. Wait, Josh Bell?? Nope, the age 25 version; not the ex-Oriole whose career was over after age 25.

July 30, 2009: Traded by the Los Angeles Dodgers with Steve Johnson to the Baltimore Orioles for George Sherrill.

April 21, 2012: Traded by the Baltimore Orioles to the Arizona Diamondbacks for a player to be named later. The Arizona Diamondbacks sent Mike Belfiore (May 12, 2012) to the Baltimore Orioles to complete the trade.